Grand Prix Racing Online Forum > Suggestions forum > No tyres change if weather changes in penultimate lap Shto këtë temë në listën e injorimit Shto këtë temë tek lista favorite e juaja
Faqe « 1 [23 » Shpejt shkoni në faqen:
Autori Temë: No tyres change if weather changes in penultimate lap 67 përgjigje
Peter Willmore
(Grupi Amateur - 46)

Postime: 3616
  Shteti:
Angli 
Certifikuar: 
Pelqe kete postim (1)   Mospelqe kete postim (0)
Postim i vjeter #31 Postuar 5 Shtator 2015, 00:10:40 (Së fundi edituar 5 Shtator 2015, 00:11:11 nga Peter Willmore) Citim 
Quote ( Krasimir Ivanov @ September 5th 2015,00:00:41 )

Lots of people gained places because better managers used the correct strategy and they soundly oppose the idea. People with good staff should've pitted at 0 laps and the Elite race is there to prove it.

bearing in mind the weather forecast, I don't think you could claim that they had run the correct strategy.
Unless you are saying people have worked out the weather?
Donatas Paplauskas
(Grupi Pro - 23)

Postime: 315
  Shteti:
Lituani 
Certifikuar: 
Pelqe kete postim (1)   Mospelqe kete postim (2)
Postim i vjeter #32 Postuar 5 Shtator 2015, 00:12:04 Citim 

Lots of people gained places because better managers used the correct strategy and they soundly oppose the idea. People with good staff should've pitted at 0 laps and the Elite race is there to prove it.

While the OP's idea is a good starting point, his implementation is not good. The correct fix would be to have another box just like "If "Yes" then enter pits only if more than X laps are remaining".
For example: "Change tyres for weather change only if more than X laps are remaining".

This option makes sense and is logical. It will also prevent frustration from BS races like the last one.

True..
Jody Parker
(Grupi Pro - 20)

Postime: 767
  Shteti:
Angli 
Certifikuar: 
Postim i vjeter #33 Postuar 5 Shtator 2015, 00:18:03 Citim 
Quote ( Peter Willmore @ September 5th 2015,00:10:40 )

bearing in mind the weather forecast, I don't think you could claim that they had run the correct strategy.
Unless you are saying people have worked out the weather?

Yes, they used the correct strategy if not taking when the weather would change into account.
That it did when it did was pure luck.
It's also the first time I've seen where some managers with worse staff actually end up higher in position because of it (and choosing the for their staff "correct" 1 lap wait option)

I can also see that people having chosen 5+ laps to wait on start of rain before pitting due to chance of the rain stopping fast if it started again also did not go into pits those last laps.
So in luck this time too, but not always a viable strategy.
Peter Willmore
(Grupi Amateur - 46)

Shteti:
Angli 
Certifikuar: 
Pelqe kete postim (0)   Mospelqe kete postim (0)
Postim i vjeter #34 Postuar 5 Shtator 2015, 00:23:52 (Së fundi edituar 5 Shtator 2015, 00:25:06 nga Peter Willmore) Citim 
Quote ( Jody Parker @ September 5th 2015,00:18:03 )

Yes, they used the correct strategy if not taking when the weather would change into account.

Well not take into account the weather is a pretty bad strategy IMO

bearing in mind the following things

A) no one knew when the rain would stop(if at all) at the start but likely it would stop fairly quick
B) 2nd Qtr there was an increased chance for rain from the first Qtr
C) Third Qtr there was an even further increased chance of rain
So if the rain had come sooner they would not of been on the best strategy.
Simon Wakefield
(Grupi Rookie - 177)

Postime: 1
  Shteti:
Angli 
Certifikuar: 
Postim i vjeter #35 Postuar 5 Shtator 2015, 00:24:38 Citim 

While the OP's idea is a good starting point, his implementation is not good. The correct fix would be to have another box just like "If "Yes" then enter pits only if more than X laps are remaining".
For example: "Change tyres for weather change only if more than X laps are remaining".

This option makes sense and is logical. It will also prevent frustration from BS races like the last one.

Thats the option I think should be in. We have it issues so for weather would make sense. After all at any other time I would have been confident that coming in immediately would have been of enough benefit to make it worthwhile but with so few laps my consideration would be different.
Peter Willmore
(Grupi Amateur - 46)

Shteti:
Angli 
Certifikuar: 
Postim i vjeter #36 Postuar 5 Shtator 2015, 00:30:23 Citim 
Quote ( Simon Wakefield @ September 5th 2015,00:24:38 )

After all at any other time I would have been confident that coming in immediately would have been of enough benefit to make it worthwhile

the funny thing is in rookie, coming in straight away would of been the wrong option regardless :)

Mikko Heikkinen
(Grupi Master - 4)

Postime: 12503
  Shteti:
Finlandë 
Certifikuar: 
Pelqe kete postim (5)   Mospelqe kete postim (1)
Postim i vjeter #37 Postuar 5 Shtator 2015, 00:51:10 (Së fundi edituar 5 Shtator 2015, 01:07:00 nga Mikko Heikkinen) Citim 
How'bout just putting in the code that the rain can not start on the penultimate lap.

Much more KISS than the OP :)

On the situation leading to the suggestion here, I think "win some, lose some" (I lost a bit this time). I'm fine with it.

I personally would not advocate for more check-boxes and options change a matter which isn't necessarily faulty.

The current situation (which presented itself in the last race) is purely based on luck, there is no "planning on strategy" even if some hinted it might be.
People who had "wait 1 or 2 laps" had it of habit, from previous races, intended for mid-race changes. It was not planned for this race. It was pure luck.

If the weather change was impossible on the penultimate lap, then people could actually claim to have planned strategy for rain starting close to race end (but not on last 2 laps).
Krasimir Ivanov
(Grupi Amateur - 119)

Postime: 725
  Shteti:
Bullgari 
Certifikuar: 
Pelqe kete postim (0)   Mospelqe kete postim (1)
Postim i vjeter #38 Postuar 5 Shtator 2015, 01:02:23 Citim 
Quote ( Mikko Heikkinen @ September 5th 2015,00:51:10 )

But I personally would not advocate for more check-boxes and options change a matter which isn't necessarily faulty.
It's an edit box that's needed tbh, not a checkbox :)
I think more options are better for the game. They separate good managers from bad ones and also they help prevent frustration when used correctly.
Paul Gojkovich
(Grupi Pro - 21)

Postime: 387
  Shteti:
Kanadë 
Certifikuar: 
Postim i vjeter #39 Postuar 5 Shtator 2015, 01:04:33 Citim 
The penultimate lap requires different strategy than a typical weather change, IMO.
Mikko Heikkinen
(Grupi Master - 4)

Shteti:
Finlandë 
Certifikuar: 
Pelqe kete postim (2)   Mospelqe kete postim (0)
Postim i vjeter #40 Postuar 5 Shtator 2015, 01:14:56 Citim 
Quote ( Krasimir Ivanov @ September 5th 2015,01:02:23 )

I think more options are better for the game. They separate good managers from bad ones and also they help prevent frustration when used correctly.

I think not. (necessarily)

For example the kind of options suggested in the OP are quite likely the kind which are just set and then left alone.

for example just input "don't pit if weather changes N-5 laps" and leave it there never to be changed.

There isn't much managing or planning there. It would actually just make things easier.

Quote ( Krasimir Ivanov @ September 5th 2015,01:02:23 )

separate good managers from bad ones

That it would not do as it would actually reduce the need for planning.
Krasimir Ivanov
(Grupi Amateur - 119)

Postime: 725
  Shteti:
Bullgari 
Certifikuar: 
Postim i vjeter #41 Postuar 5 Shtator 2015, 01:53:09 Citim 
Exactly!
Most managers will leave it at -5 and forget about it. And then there will be managers who will calculate the optimal value for each race and those managers will have advantage over the lazy group.

Quote ( Mikko Heikkinen @ September 5th 2015,01:14:56 )

That it would not do as it would actually reduce the need for planning.

I openly admit I'm not among the good managers out there. How do you plan for rain 1 lap before end of race?
Jay Larner
(Grupi Rookie - 313)

Postime: 89
  Shteti:
Shtetet e Bashkuara 
Certifikuar: 
Postim i vjeter #42 Postuar 5 Shtator 2015, 02:08:23 Citim 
I see a lot of talk about good or bad "strategy" when it comes to the weather and people who got it right are still being slated for it. In my opinion its a matter of risk. Some of us risked it and some did not. And for risks you either get rewarded or punished. Risks are part of strategy too, they are just... well risky lol.

Good job to all those that took the risk. Awesome strategy. Thumbs up :)
Mikko Heikkinen
(Grupi Master - 4)

Shteti:
Finlandë 
Certifikuar: 
Postim i vjeter #43 Postuar 5 Shtator 2015, 04:36:21 Citim 
Quote ( Krasimir Ivanov @ September 5th 2015,01:53:09 )

How do you plan for rain 1 lap before end of race?

You don't.

Check post #37
Kshitij Sharma
(Grupi Amateur - 11)

Postime: 2740
  Shteti:
Indi 
Certifikuar: 
Postim i vjeter #44 Postuar 5 Shtator 2015, 06:37:22 Citim 
i put it 1 and got lucky
Daniel Douglas
(Grupi Pro - 2)

Postime: 3806
  Shteti:
Shtetet e Bashkuara 
Certifikuar: 
Postim i vjeter #45 Postuar 5 Shtator 2015, 07:08:17 Citim 
Quote ( Mikko Heikkinen @ September 5th 2015,00:51:10 )

People who had "wait 1 or 2 laps" had it of habit

What about people who had "wait 53 laps" set?

Quote ( Krasimir Ivanov @ September 5th 2015,01:53:09 )

How do you plan for rain 1 lap before end of race?

You plan for rain towards the end of the race

Who cares if it is 1 or 4 ... result is same.
Zach Heesch
(Grupi Amateur - 23)

Postime: 1849
  Shteti:
Shtetet e Bashkuara 
Certifikuar: 
Pelqe kete postim (4)   Mospelqe kete postim (0)
Postim i vjeter #46 Postuar 5 Shtator 2015, 07:43:19 Citim 
As someone who gained 2 spots to finish 2nd, I vote change nothing! Racing is fun because you never know what could happen. This is on of those things that can happen. Taking away random occurrences, frustrating as they could be, makes the game boring.
Daniel Mason
(Grupi Pro - 16)

Postime: 5215
  Shteti:
Shtetet e Bashkuara 
Certifikuar: 
Postim i vjeter #47 Postuar 5 Shtator 2015, 08:02:42 Citim 
Quote ( Zach Heesch @ September 5th 2015,07:43:19 )

As someone who gained 2 spots to finish 2nd, I vote change nothing!

How much do you want to bet that you wouldn't be saying this if your race was screwed by the rain falling at the penultimate lap?
Zach Heesch
(Grupi Amateur - 23)

Postime: 1849
  Shteti:
Shtetet e Bashkuara 
Certifikuar: 
Postim i vjeter #48 Postuar 5 Shtator 2015, 17:29:11 Citim 
Quote ( Daniel Mason @ September 5th 2015,08:02:42 )

How much do you want to bet that you wouldn't be saying this if your race was screwed by the rain falling at the penultimate lap?

I lost a podium last season because my driver crashed the car with three laps left, frustrating, but it happens. I've also won races that way. I stand by my comments.
Donatas Paplauskas
(Grupi Pro - 23)

Shteti:
Lituani 
Certifikuar: 
Pelqe kete postim (1)   Mospelqe kete postim (3)
Postim i vjeter #49 Postuar 5 Shtator 2015, 22:56:17 Citim 
Quote ( Zach Heesch @ September 5th 2015,17:29:11 )

Quote ( Daniel Mason @ September 5th 2015,08:02:42 )

I lost a podium last season because my driver crashed the car with three laps left, frustrating, but it happens. I've also won races that way. I stand by my comments

Don't mess this with just casual randoms and "bugs" in game engine... If we have so fair game planing why all +1 not pitted at last lap?

I understand that this is game and we MUST accept randoms, but last race was too much...

As i was teached from the very start of my Gpro carrier this is management game and last race was nothing about management. Just simple luck.
Jukka Sireni2
(Grupi Elite)

Kryesia e Gpro's
Postime: 3870
  Shteti:
Finlandë 
Certifikuar: 
Postim i vjeter #50 Postuar 5 Shtator 2015, 23:23:29 Citim 
Quote ( Donatas Paplauskas @ September 5th 2015,22:56:17 )

As i was teached from the very start of my Gpro carrier this is management game and last race was nothing about management. Just simple luck.

Having an option to avoid a pit in the last X laps is not management either. It's just fairly simple maths.
Stuart Foster
(Grupi Amateur - 99)

Postime: 12459
  Shteti:
Angli 
Certifikuar: 
Postim i vjeter #51 Postuar 5 Shtator 2015, 23:28:54 (Së fundi edituar 5 Shtator 2015, 23:40:08 nga Stuart Foster) Citim 
Quote ( Donatas Paplauskas @ September 5th 2015,22:56:17 )

Just simple luck.

Not entirely...past race history would give the manager knowledge that rain was possible in remaining laps due to the race time being below 1 hr 30. There was a decent chance for rain...so those who planned 0 lap wait made a bad management decision.

You talk about luck, but it would be no different really with it starting 2 laps earlier, it would just mean those who made the (even) better/braver management choice of a longer wait would get the benefit of not pitting at the end of a bigger proportion of the field.

So, the 0 lap guys got caught out this once, I'll not lose sleep knowing that 99% of the time my 1 lap wait in these types of races fails when it starts raining X laps from the end and not Y, or when I pit for dry tyre change and rain comes moments later. Luck doesn't start in this game one lap from the end of a race anyway, there's many luck factors....don't see a reason to remedy something that is a management choice. Seems some people want to remove this management choice and replace it with an equation that ensures the best outcome from X remaining laps and removing the risk element.
Jukka Sireni2
(Grupi Elite)

Kryesia e Gpro's
  Shteti:
Finlandë 
Certifikuar: 
Postim i vjeter #52 Postuar 5 Shtator 2015, 23:36:58 Citim 
Quote ( Stuart Foster @ September 5th 2015,23:28:54 )

those who planned 0 lap wait made a bad management decision.

It's not that bad if you have good pit stops. Yes, it loses when the rain starts a lap before the end, but it wins against 1 lap in other cases.
Daniel Douglas
(Grupi Pro - 2)

Postime: 3806
  Shteti:
Shtetet e Bashkuara 
Certifikuar: 
Pelqe kete postim (1)   Mospelqe kete postim (1)
Postim i vjeter #53 Postuar 5 Shtator 2015, 23:39:31 (Së fundi edituar 5 Shtator 2015, 23:40:03 nga Daniel Douglas) Citim 
Quote ( Jukka Sireni @ September 5th 2015,23:36:58 )

those who planned 0 lap wait made a bad management decision.

It's not that bad if you have good pit stops. Yes, it loses when the rain starts a lap before the end, but it wins against 1 lap in other cases.

Are you saying that it is a decision to manage the risk reward between faster pits on weather changes vs possibly stopping with only a lap or two to go?

Who would have thunk it. Management extends beyond the obvious.
Stuart Foster
(Grupi Amateur - 99)

Shteti:
Angli 
Certifikuar: 
Postim i vjeter #54 Postuar 5 Shtator 2015, 23:41:46 Citim 

Seems some people want to remove this management choice and replace it with an equation that ensures the best outcome from X remaining laps and removing the risk element.
Donatas Paplauskas
(Grupi Pro - 23)

Shteti:
Lituani 
Certifikuar: 
Postim i vjeter #55 Postuar 5 Shtator 2015, 23:43:00 Citim 
Jukka and Stuart please explain why almost Elite managers set "0" ? i hope that they are good managers... :D

I mean all leading managers. I think they are bad enough and don't know how to predict weather and play good strategy..

As I mentioned earlier in like the fun part of the GPRO weather, but last race was too much.
Jukka Sireni2
(Grupi Elite)

Kryesia e Gpro's
  Shteti:
Finlandë 
Certifikuar: 
Postim i vjeter #56 Postuar 5 Shtator 2015, 23:44:28 (Së fundi edituar 5 Shtator 2015, 23:47:01 nga Jukka Sireni) Citim 
Quote ( Daniel Douglas @ September 5th 2015,23:39:31 )

Are you saying that it is a decision to manage the risk reward between faster pits on weather changes vs possibly stopping with only a lap or two to go?

It's about the expected value really. Both strategies have good and bad effects. 1 lap has a small chance for a big gain and big chance for a small loss, while 0 laps has the opposite. 2 or more laps is a bit of a gambling option, but if you value that small chance high enough it's possible too.

I had 0 laps, but before the race (after deadline :( ) I was thinking that maybe I should have set 1 lap. Maybe it would have had a slightly better ev.

Quote ( Donatas Paplauskas @ September 5th 2015,23:43:00 )

Jukka and Stuart please explain why almost Elite managers set "0" ? i hope that they are good managers... :D

For great pit stops, the expected value of 0 laps is definitely better than 1 lap. I don't have a great td and my staff may be a bit too low too, so for me it was about the same ev I think.
Stuart Foster
(Grupi Amateur - 99)

Shteti:
Angli 
Certifikuar: 
Postim i vjeter #57 Postuar 5 Shtator 2015, 23:48:13 (Së fundi edituar 5 Shtator 2015, 23:49:04 nga Stuart Foster) Citim 
Well, Donatas, it's a risk element to the game of course and I don't deny its luck, but still a management choice, to stay out longer. Below Pro, or even in Pro with bad staff, waiting 1 lap is faster than waiting 0. I've done a number of 0 lap wait at amateur level (and rookie) on low staff and had pit stops in high 30's and low 40's. With a 1 lap wait, never more than low 30's. It's not faster in all levels for 0 lap wait.
Edwin Silva
(Grupi Pro - 11)

Postime: 2235
  Shteti:
Kolumbi 
Certifikuar: 
Postim i vjeter #58 Postuar 5 Shtator 2015, 23:53:13 Citim 
I'm with you, Donatas. I think the fact most Elite managers, including every former champion, stopped right away is quite telling. Especially since the loss by 1 additional stop was very severe with such a long pitlane. To state all of them aren't good at strategy management is at the very least bold.

Fact is, if you have good staff, you stop right away. Even taking this possible outcome into consideration, because as well as it started raining at L52, it could have started raining at any point between L42 and L51, and in that case, with a lot higher combined probability than rain starting at L52, pitting right away was the right choice for people with good staff, not to mention it could have started raining at any point in the second quarter too with, by the way, around 10 times higher combined probability than rain starting exactly at L52.

Simply speaking, without more strategy flexibility, cases such as this will keep happening and any race with mixed weather will have a lot of luck involded. I'm not particularly saying this should be changed, but arguing the wait 1 lap was a smart and calculated decision isn't probably right. Most people waited 1 lap, including me, simply because waiting 1 lap is what we do when our staff isn't on par.
Donatas Paplauskas
(Grupi Pro - 23)

Shteti:
Lituani 
Certifikuar: 
Pelqe kete postim (1)   Mospelqe kete postim (1)
Postim i vjeter #59 Postuar 5 Shtator 2015, 23:54:06 Citim 
Quote ( Jukka Sireni @ September 5th 2015,23:44:28 )

For great pit stops, the expected value of 0 laps is definitely better than 1 lap. I don't have a great td and my staff may be a bit too low too, so for me it was about the same ev I think.

So this is a good and calculated decision? BUT system thinks different...

I like random factor in GPRO system, but sometimes.. we want more players in this game right? We wan't more good managers and add some competition, but please not in this style :)
Stuart Foster
(Grupi Amateur - 99)

Shteti:
Angli 
Certifikuar: 
Postim i vjeter #60 Postuar 6 Shtator 2015, 00:06:56 (Së fundi edituar 6 Shtator 2015, 00:18:48 nga Stuart Foster) Citim 

please explain why almost Elite managers set "0" ? i hope that they are good managers

better staff.

Quote ( Donatas Paplauskas @ September 5th 2015,23:54:06 )

So this is a good and calculated decision?

It (1 lap wait) was the best decision only for those with weaker staff. I couldn't claim it to be a calculated decision at all myself, I had 1 lap wait on my profile since S41 now ;)

Quote ( Donatas Paplauskas @ September 5th 2015,23:54:06 )

I like random factor in GPRO system, but sometimes.. we want more players in this game right? We wan't more good managers and add some competition, but please not in this style :)

Random is annoying as hell, but...part of the game I guess...I quite liked Mikko's suggestion further up though ( /gb/forum/ViewTopic.asp?TopicId=25461&PostId=3727715#post3727715 ). No rain in penultimate lap into the game code, would still allow those to make risk/reward plans for rain starting earlier than 1 lap to go. It's the only sensible thing I can see that doesn't make things strategically easier (i.e, the suggestion about a check box for not pitting X laps from end, would be).

I'd certainly fully support Mikko's idea their, as it is the simplest solve.
Faqe « 1 [23 » Shpejt shkoni në faqen:
Grand Prix Racing Online Forum > Suggestions forum > No tyres change if weather changes in penultimate lap Shto këtë temë në listën e injorimit Shto këtë temë tek lista favorite e juaja

Përgjigju në këtë temë