Grand Prix Racing Online Forum > Newbie forum > Mid Season New Driver Add this topic to your ignore list Add this topic to your watchlist
Page [12 » Quick go to page:
Author Topic: Mid Season New Driver 57 replies
Zé Pedro Paula
(Group Rookie - 62)

Mozambique 
Certified: 
Old post #1 posted Apr 5th 2020, 20:24:11 Quote 
I started the game with a driver for 10 races and will not be able to extend the contract for the rest of the season.

When should I bid for or contract a new driver? Before or after the current driver last race?

Will I have time to do the qualifies on time like everybody else or I should have two drivers before the last race?

Thierry Le Denmat
(Group Amateur - 89)

France 
Certified: 
Like this post (4)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #2 posted Apr 5th 2020, 20:28:50 Quote 
you have only 1 driver

the driver's market is 1 day before the next race, so if a driver accept your offer, the old driver is fired with money at the end of the market
Andy Dowson
(Group Amateur - 75)

England 
Certified: 
Like this post (3)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #3 posted Apr 5th 2020, 20:53:09 Quote 
Also if you are successful with a new driver bid, you will have to pay compensation to your old driver, which would be 50% of his remaining contract.
Zé Pedro Paula
(Group Rookie - 62)

Mozambique 
Certified: 
Like this post (2)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #4 posted Apr 5th 2020, 21:04:44 Quote 
OK. But I want the current driver to do his contract last race, not only because he is good, but to not pay any, or pay minimal compensations.

Was not sure about the timing of the bidding. I'm not sure about the bidding here. Have 4 shortlisted that will quit by the end of the season. Think will bid on 3 and see if I can choose preferences in case all accept.

So I understand that will have 24 hours for race training and qualifying with the new driver.
Florencia Caro
(Group Master - 4)

GPRO Crew
Argentina 
Certified: 
Old post #5 posted Apr 5th 2020, 21:36:01 Quote 
Quote ( Zé Pedro Paula @ April 5th 2020,21:04:44 )

Think will bid on 3 and see if I can choose preferences in case all accept.

You need to set your priorities BEFORE the market closes, you won't be able to choose later on. The first bid you place will automatically set 1st in your priorities, the next one will be set 2nd, and so on. Once you did all bids, if you change your mind about the priorities order, you can change it using the up and down arrows to the left of the bids, in your "Current Bids" page.

Quote ( Zé Pedro Paula @ April 5th 2020,21:04:44 )

So I understand that will have 24 hours for race training and qualifying with the new driver.

More like 23hs, but close enough :)
Gergely Kondár
(Group Amateur - 23)

Hungary 
Certified: 
Old post #6 posted Apr 6th 2020, 10:54:56 (last edited Apr 6th 2020, 10:55:34 by Gergely Kondár) Quote 
Quote ( Zé Pedro Paula @ April 5th 2020,20:24:11 )

Will I have time to do the qualifies on time like everybody else or I should have two drivers before the last race?

Also important, that if you do the qualification with your current driver and manage to hire a new one tonight, the settings of your car could be far from ideal to the new driver.
I suggest you do qualification with the driver who will drive your car on the race tomorrow.
Zé Pedro Paula
(Group Rookie - 62)

Mozambique 
Certified: 
Like this post (0)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #7 posted Apr 13th 2020, 20:48:59 (last edited Apr 13th 2020, 20:49:39 by Zé Pedro Paula) Quote 
Quote ( Thierry Le Denmat @ April 5th 2020,20:28:50 )

the driver's market is 1 day before the next race, so if a driver accept your offer, the old driver is fired with money at the end of the market

Quote ( Gergely Kondár @ April 6th 2020,10:54:56 )

Also important, that if you do the qualification with your current driver and manage to hire a new one tonight, the settings of your car could be far from ideal to the new driver.

I suggest you do qualification with the driver who will drive your car on the race tomorrow.

So I could bid for a new driver right after the market closes and before the current driver's last race. Since there will be no decision on new bids until ~1 day before the next race and the current driver cannot be replaced. Am I right?
Roy Mitchell
(Group Rookie - 110)

Canada 
Certified: 
Like this post (1)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #8 posted Apr 13th 2020, 22:01:19 Quote 
That's correct.
Zé Pedro Paula
(Group Rookie - 62)

Mozambique 
Certified: 
Like this post (0)   Dislike this post (2)
Old post #9 posted May 7th 2020, 21:18:16 Quote 
Oh, but there is one exception for this rule. You can't put offers just before the last race of the season... "Neat". I guess it's there somewhere, the lawyers missed to read that. :-)

My driver won't be here next season. A couple of driver's scouting to waste.
Matías Alloatti
(Group Amateur - 83)

Argentina 
Certified: 
Like this post (2)   Dislike this post (1)
Old post #10 posted May 7th 2020, 21:42:50 Quote 
I am not sure if that special case is written in the rules or not.

But consider that after this last race in Barcelona, there will be managers promoting and relegating. If managers are able to make offers right now, then a manager in danger of relegating from, lets say Pro to Amateur, can offer a contract to a 135OA driver, then relegate to Amateur and then win that contract. So this manager would be winning a contract for a 135OA driver while being in Amateur (which limit is 110OA).

The market is put to sleep so every promotion/relegation is resolved first.
Zé Pedro Paula
(Group Rookie - 62)

Mozambique 
Certified: 
Old post #11 posted May 7th 2020, 21:59:17 Quote 
Quote ( Matías Alloatti @ May 7th 2020,21:42:50 )

I am not sure if that special case is written in the rules or not.

But consider that after this last race in Barcelona, there will be managers promoting and relegating. If managers are able to make offers right now, then a manager in danger of relegating from, lets say Pro to Amateur, can offer a contract to a 135OA driver, then relegate to Amateur and then win that contract. So this manager would be winning a contract for a 135OA driver while being in Amateur (which limit is 110OA).

The market is put to sleep so every promotion/relegation is resolved first.

I understand now why. But, this looks like a Management problem. I know that there are a lot of managers in that situation, some relegation zones cover most of the of the tables. But not all are in the end of the drivers contract. And if they are, they should manage themselves. Don't take risks. Wait for next season. Or anticipate somehow.

I'm not going to even look if it's written. It's not the end of the season yet, like stated in the driver's profile, and I can't bid now and after because he will be removed.
Yes, it's a rookie thing. Whatever.
Harsh Sheth
(Group Master - 2)

India 
Certified: 
Old post #12 posted May 7th 2020, 22:18:18 Quote 
I am confused. Why can't you bid on the drivers you scouted when the next season starts, like everyone else?
Daniel Douglas
(Group Pro - 2)

United States 
Certified: 
Old post #13 posted May 7th 2020, 22:32:10 Quote 
You're not the one confused harsh
Matías Alloatti
(Group Amateur - 83)

Argentina 
Certified: 
Old post #14 posted May 7th 2020, 23:30:18 Quote 
Still you will have plenty of time to make your offers.

As far as I know, after Barcelona GP there will be a break so every group is updated. Last time this happened, the update was completed by Sunday morning. First race of the new season was on the next Friday so everyone had 4 days to decide their offers in the market.

It's not like if you can't make an offer today you will miss an opportunity to hire a good driver that you are scouting before the first race of the next season.
Daniel Douglas
(Group Pro - 2)

United States 
Certified: 
Old post #15 posted May 7th 2020, 23:34:33 Quote 
There is always two driver markets before the first race matias.

Meaning that of the first race is on friday... update done no later than sunday.
If first race is tuesday.... then update is done no later than wednesday the week before. (One normal race day is always skipped at beginning if season but we still get its staff decision day)

So there'll be two opportunities to sign a driver at the beginning of every season.
Matías Alloatti
(Group Amateur - 83)

Argentina 
Certified: 
Old post #16 posted May 7th 2020, 23:38:01 Quote 
If there will be two market decision, that would be much better for @Zé Pedro Paula (R62), two chances to get his desired driver.
Daniel Douglas
(Group Pro - 2)

United States 
Certified: 
Old post #17 posted May 7th 2020, 23:53:05 Quote 
Quote ( Matías Alloatti @ May 7th 2020,23:38:01 )

If there will be two market decision, that would be much better for @Zé Pedro Paula (R62), two chances to get his desired driver.

It's usually better to avoid signing a driver during the pre-season markets. Its called "market madness" for a reason.

This is especially true in rookie, where some very funny things happen in the market (ie rookies paying 6 to 7 times salary of highest paid elite driver).
Matías Alloatti
(Group Amateur - 83)

Argentina 
Certified: 
Old post #18 posted May 8th 2020, 00:14:40 Quote 
Well... Ze Pedro driver has 91OA right now and he won't promote from Rookie, so it looks like he will be part of the market madness.

What confuses me @Zé Pedro Paula (R62) is that you started this topic a month ago, trying to anticipate this situation. Didn't you try to offer a contract to a driver before Zolder GP?
Zé Pedro Paula
(Group Rookie - 62)

Mozambique 
Certified: 
Old post #19 posted May 8th 2020, 15:41:04 (last edited May 8th 2020, 16:04:35 by Zé Pedro Paula) Quote 
This has been and is in the driver's profile.

"Driver is retiring at the end of the season if still without contract then"

This appeared just after market closed and was unavailable for an hour or so.

"There will be no more staff decisions this season."

Is this driver ever biddable again? Don't think so.

The first statement should read "at the last market close of the season"

Quote ( Matías Alloatti @ May 8th 2020,00:14:40 )

What confuses me @Zé Pedro Paula (R62) is that you started this topic a month ago, trying to anticipate this situation. Didn't you try to offer a contract to a driver before Zolder GP?

What confuses me, besides not have read the whole literature required, is, this exception is for the protection of bad management, according to your explanation. If I knew I would make the offer after Zolder and before market close for sure.

I know the market rule and the season end exception now.

Quote ( Daniel Douglas @ May 7th 2020,23:53:05 )

Quote ( Matías Alloatti @ May 7th 2020,23:38:01 )

It's usually better to avoid signing a driver during the pre-season markets. Its called "market madness" for a reason.

This is especially true in rookie, where some very funny things happen in the market (ie rookies paying 6 to 7 times salary of highest paid elite driver).

The sign is on the wall. This driver is a rejected. No one in is right mind has bid or bid enough for him. I know you're all about to tell me to not sign this driver and spam my mailbox with the recipe to get to Amateur in one step. But, I want this guy to prove everybody wrong. ;-)
Harsh Sheth
(Group Master - 2)

India 
Certified: 
Like this post (2)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #20 posted May 8th 2020, 16:27:33 Quote 
If the driver was going to retire at the end of this season if without a contract, you making an offer now wasn't going to help since you can't be offering contracts until next season. You should have seen that coming I think?

Also, I don't think an S necessarily means anything :P You can terrible a lot of terrible and very unpopular drivers in Rookie and make them into stars. In fact, more often than not the good ones are ignored in Rookie markets.
Matías Alloatti
(Group Amateur - 83)

Argentina 
Certified: 
Old post #21 posted May 8th 2020, 17:10:16 Quote 
Don't worry I'm finishing my third season in GPRO, I don't have enough experience to spam your mailbox.

I think the confusion comes from this statement

"Driver is retiring at the end of the season if still without contract"

It should be interpreted more like

"Driver is retiring at the end of the season unless he/she doesn't miss at least the last race of the season"

So if by Thursday this driver didn't receive any contract offer, this driver won't race on Barcelona GP, which is the last GP of the current season, so he/she will retire for sure.
Zé Pedro Paula
(Group Rookie - 62)

Mozambique 
Certified: 
Old post #22 posted May 8th 2020, 17:15:15 (last edited May 8th 2020, 17:21:10 by Zé Pedro Paula) Quote 
Quote ( Harsh Sheth @ May 8th 2020,16:27:33 )

If the driver was going to retire at the end of this season if without a contract, you making an offer now wasn't going to help since you can't be offering contracts until next season. You should have seen that coming I think?

You're smart. Not an opinion, it says, Master and Certified. Coming from where? You even look smart. I bet you can point me to where I should have seen it coming before I can FOBY it.

I wait for his younger brother. Will be even better. I only want to get him to amateur in 2 or 3 seasons. Have to bring his self esteem down no matter what. For also his own good. :-)

Quote ( Matías Alloatti @ May 8th 2020,17:10:16 )

So if by Thursday this driver didn't receive any contract offer, this driver won't race on Barcelona GP, which is the last GP of the current season, so he/she will retire for sure.

Basically you can't hire a driver for a full season, without artifices, because someone wants to change driver and might make a bad management decision.
Matías Alloatti
(Group Amateur - 83)

Argentina 
Certified: 
Old post #23 posted May 8th 2020, 18:08:45 Quote 
I had a driver for a full season without artificies (not sure what do you mean by artificies)

Driver name Started driving Finished driving
Ryo Kato Season 75, Race 16 Not yet
Lucu Francia Season 75, Race 1 Season 75, Race 15
Jarno Torre Season 74, Race 1 Season 74, Race 17
Marvin Abt Season 73, Race 16 Season 73, Race 17
Andrea Giunti Season 73, Race 16 Season 73, Race 16

I hired Jarno Torre just before my first race in season 74 and right after my last race in season 74 he left (because of OA limit)
Roy Mitchell
(Group Rookie - 110)

Canada 
Certified: 
Old post #24 posted May 8th 2020, 18:18:37 (last edited May 8th 2020, 18:29:50 by Roy Mitchell) Quote 
As the topic states MID-season driver. In my experience it is better to hire and renew closer to the middle of the season.

Your final chance at changing drivers comes after race 16 of this season before the 17th race. Then it goes to the first staff market during the season reset. There are two staff markets during the season reset, the final is the day before the first race of next season.

EDIT
Quote ( Matías Alloatti @ May 8th 2020,17:10:16 )

"Driver is retiring at the end of the season if still without contract"

If you had this driver and were aware that he was retiring at the end of the season "if without a contract" wouldn't it seem logical to offer a contract extension before the end of the season?

Providing he/she is at or under the OA for the competition level.
Zé Pedro Paula
(Group Rookie - 62)

Mozambique 
Certified: 
Old post #25 posted May 8th 2020, 18:50:53 Quote 
Quote ( Matías Alloatti @ May 8th 2020,18:08:45 )

I had a driver for a full season without artificies (not sure what do you mean by artificies)

You're right. But not not after market close before the last race. The season has not ended. There is still one race. The driver is a retired driver walking already.
Paulo Cruz
(Group Rookie - 21)

Portugal 
Certified: 
Old post #26 posted May 8th 2020, 18:53:56 Quote 
By the way, what happens if your driver ends contract and you fail to hire a new one? Do you fail the race? Get some random low level driver? The old one remains in the squad with some kind of extended contract?
Daniel Douglas
(Group Pro - 2)

United States 
Certified: 
Old post #27 posted May 8th 2020, 18:59:15 Quote 
Quote ( Paulo Cruz @ May 8th 2020,18:53:56 )

By the way, what happens if your driver ends contract and you fail to hire a new one? Do you fail the race? Get some random low level driver? The old one remains in the squad with some kind of extended contract?

When you do not have a driver, you have the option to hire a random junk driver at any time.

If you do not have a driver, you cannot qualify (so therefore cannot race).

So you either miss the race, or sign a random junk driver and participate in the race.
Zé Pedro Paula
(Group Rookie - 62)

Mozambique 
Certified: 
Like this post (0)   Dislike this post (3)
Old post #28 posted May 8th 2020, 18:59:18 Quote 
Quote ( Paulo Cruz @ May 8th 2020,18:53:56 )

The old one disappears after this race, you will only get a new driver, if season start has no exceptions either, 24 hours before first race!!! And he can only work some 23 hours. Testing, Practice and Qualifies!!!

This is... "Management"!!!
Max Watson
(Group Amateur - 75)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #29 posted May 8th 2020, 19:03:05 Quote 
Quote ( Zé Pedro Paula @ May 8th 2020,18:59:18 )

you will only get a new driver, if season start has no exceptions either, 24 hours before first race!!! And he can only work some 23 hours. Testing, Practice and Qualifies!!!

There are two markets at the start of each season. The first one in Season 76 will be on May 11th.
Zé Pedro Paula
(Group Rookie - 62)

Mozambique 
Certified: 
Like this post (0)   Dislike this post (4)
Old post #30 posted May 8th 2020, 19:08:03 Quote 
Quote ( Max Watson @ May 8th 2020,19:03:05 )

Quote ( Zé Pedro Paula @ May 8th 2020,18:59:18 )

you will only get a new driver, if season start has no exceptions either, 24 hours before first race!!! And he can only work some 23 hours. Testing, Practice and Qualifies!!!

There are two markets at the start of each season. The first one in Season 76 will be on May 11th.

Is there a calendar already? I've no idea when is the first race. In a Week?
Page [12 » Quick go to page:
Grand Prix Racing Online Forum > Newbie forum > Mid Season New Driver Add this topic to your ignore list Add this topic to your watchlist

Reply to this topic