Grand Prix Racing Online Forum > General forum > whats the point of the actual race? Ajouter ce sujet à votre liste des sujets à ignorer Ajouter ce sujet à votre liste des sujets à observer
Page [12 » Saut rapide vers la page:
Auteur Sujet: whats the point of the actual race? 54 réponses
Mark Barker
(Groupe Rookie - 261)

Pays:
Angleterre 
Certifié: 
J'aime ce post (0)   Je n'aime pas ce post (12)
Posts anciens #1 Posté (le) 18 Mars 2016, 11:37:32 Citer 
So maybe I'm completely missing the point here, but what is the point of the (very slow) race? I get the use of the data and results afterwards, but given that we can't change strategy during the race itself (which is a huge shame, would add so much to the gameplay), I can't see the point of watching the race...
Phil Maunder
(Groupe Pro - 7)

Pays:
Angleterre 
Certifié: 
J'aime ce post (12)   Je n'aime pas ce post (0)
Posts anciens #2 Posté (le) 18 Mars 2016, 11:40:20 (dernière édition (le) 18 Mars 2016, 11:46:07 par Phil Maunder) Citer 
Beer & rage

Also changing strategy during the race would be great - for people online. If you're not a good time zone for the races then it would kinda suck balls.
Jon Luc Loosemore
(Groupe Amateur - 80)

Pays:
Angleterre 
Certifié: 
J'aime ce post (6)   Je n'aime pas ce post (0)
Posts anciens #3 Posté (le) 18 Mars 2016, 11:41:05 Citer 
Quote ( Phil Maunder @ March 18th 2016,11:40:20 )

Beer & rage

could not have put it better myself!
Jimmy De Roy
(Groupe Amateur - 80)

Pays:
Belgique 
Certifié: 
J'aime ce post (11)   Je n'aime pas ce post (0)
Posts anciens #4 Posté (le) 18 Mars 2016, 11:41:34 Citer 
Quote ( Mark Barker @ March 18th 2016,11:37:32 )

I can't see the point of watching the race...

I don't wanna be rude but nobody is forcing you to watch the race. Furthermore, this game is played by people from all over the world, living in different timezones. For some people the race is run in the middle of the night, wouldn't it be unfair to them if you can change strategies during the race because you live in the good timezone and they can't because they are asleep?
Keri Lovell
(Groupe Rookie - 298)

Pays:
Pays de Galles 
Certifié: 
J'aime ce post (28)   Je n'aime pas ce post (0)
Posts anciens #5 Posté (le) 18 Mars 2016, 11:42:00 Citer 
1) Chat with team
2) Have something to look at instead of an excel sheet
3) LOSE YOUR SHIT WHEN YOU GET A RANDOM
4) Smile smugly as your national anthem plays
5) Tell your girlfriend it's race night and have 2 hours man time
Vesa Ritvanen
(Groupe Pro - 15)

Pays:
Finlande 
Certifié: 
J'aime ce post (10)   Je n'aime pas ce post (0)
Posts anciens #6 Posté (le) 18 Mars 2016, 11:42:18 Citer 
It is one of the most entertaining way to spend your friday evening!
Josh Clark
(Groupe Master - 5)

Pays:
Angleterre 
Certifié: 
J'aime ce post (3)   Je n'aime pas ce post (0)
Posts anciens #7 Posté (le) 18 Mars 2016, 11:43:12 Citer 
Some people like it, some don't.

It's not like you know exactly what's going to happen at the start. And by the end if something did happen that you weren't expecting and you weren't watching the race, that's why some people do watch it. It can throw up some surprises and can be exciting some of the time. Granted, probably not in Rookie.

Watch a Master or an Elite race. Pick a favourite racer or something. Stuff sometimes happens and it can be fun to watch battles.
Emil Kwiatkowski
(Groupe Amateur - 87)

Pays:
Pologne 
Certifié: 
J'aime ce post (6)   Je n'aime pas ce post (0)
Posts anciens #8 Posté (le) 18 Mars 2016, 11:43:52 (dernière édition (le) 18 Mars 2016, 11:44:43 par Emil Kwiatkowski) Citer 
Race is simulated ~90min before you can watch it.
If You will be able to change strategy during race, You will have adventage than non-online managers. GPRO isn't just EU, whole world can play this. In Asia race is in night.
Virgis Lyss
(Groupe Master - 5)

Pays:
Lituanie 
Certifié: 
J'aime ce post (9)   Je n'aime pas ce post (0)
Posts anciens #9 Posté (le) 18 Mars 2016, 11:44:20 Citer 
Quote ( Mark Barker @ March 18th 2016,11:37:32 )So maybe I'm completely missing the point here, but what is the point of the (very slow) race? I get the use of the data and results afterwards, but given that we can't change strategy during the race itself (which is a huge shame, would add so much to the gameplay), I can't see the point of watching the race...

What's the point of watching any race on TV then? Or any sport event? Anyway you cannot influent it. Wouldn't it be much better and saving the time just to look for results after?
Sam Wainwright
(Groupe Amateur - 27)

Pays:
Angleterre 
Certifié: 
Posts anciens #10 Posté (le) 18 Mars 2016, 11:44:28 Citer 
Quote ( Josh Clark @ March 18th 2016,11:43:12 )

Stuff sometimes happens

GPRO is just like real F1 after all.
Josh Clark
(Groupe Master - 5)

Pays:
Angleterre 
Certifié: 
J'aime ce post (2)   Je n'aime pas ce post (0)
Posts anciens #11 Posté (le) 18 Mars 2016, 11:45:31 Citer 
Quote ( Sam Wainwright @ March 18th 2016,11:44:28 )

Quote ( Josh Clark @ March 18th 2016,11:43:12 )

Stuff sometimes happens

GPRO is just like real F1 after all.

If we were doing a "describe F1 in 3 words" game...
Mark Barker
(Groupe Rookie - 261)

Pays:
Angleterre 
Certifié: 
J'aime ce post (1)   Je n'aime pas ce post (2)
Posts anciens #12 Posté (le) 18 Mars 2016, 11:47:44 Citer 
Quote ( Jimmy De Roy @ March 18th 2016,11:41:34 )

I don't wanna be rude but nobody is forcing you to watch the race. Furthermore, this game is played by people from all over the world, living in different timezones. For some people the race is run in the middle of the night, wouldn't it be unfair to them if you can change strategies during the race because you live in the good timezone and they can't because they are asleep?

You're spot on, and I've only watched one race! It just seems that a fair bit of coding etc would've gone into creating a seemingly useless part of the game.

As for time zones, totally agree, and would propose that if you could change strategies then the races would be run at the tracks local time, so each time zone would have some late night/early morning races as well as more convenient times.
Jimmy De Roy
(Groupe Amateur - 80)

Pays:
Belgique 
Certifié: 
J'aime ce post (0)   Je n'aime pas ce post (0)
Posts anciens #13 Posté (le) 18 Mars 2016, 11:48:47 Citer 
Quote ( Mark Barker @ March 18th 2016,11:47:44 )

As for time zones, totally agree, and would propose that if you could change strategies then the races would be run at the tracks local time, so each time zone would have some late night/early morning races as well as more convenient times.

Mark how would you organize that?
Mark Barker
(Groupe Rookie - 261)

Pays:
Angleterre 
Certifié: 
Posts anciens #14 Posté (le) 18 Mars 2016, 11:49:58 Citer 
Quote ( Virgis Lyss @ March 18th 2016,11:44:20 )

Quote ( Mark Barker @ March 18th 2016,11:37:32 )So maybe I'm completely missing the point here, but what is the point of the (very slow) race? I get the use of the data and results afterwards, but given that we can't change strategy during the race itself (which is a huge shame, would add so much to the gameplay), I can't see the point of watching the race...

What's the point of watching any race on TV then? Or any sport event? Anyway you cannot influent it. Wouldn't it be much better and saving the time just to look for results after?

I'm not "managing" the teams on TV though...
Mark Barker
(Groupe Rookie - 261)

Pays:
Angleterre 
Certifié: 
J'aime ce post (0)   Je n'aime pas ce post (7)
Posts anciens #15 Posté (le) 18 Mars 2016, 11:53:20 Citer 
Quote ( Jimmy De Roy @ March 18th 2016,11:48:47 )

Most races start at 1pm local time (obviously excluding the night races!). So stick with that. When the race is in Australia etc then Europeans have a choice, get up in the middle of the night and play real time, or set a predefined strategy and hope.
Daneks Britāls
(Groupe Amateur - 63)

Pays:
Lettonie 
Certifié: 
J'aime ce post (4)   Je n'aime pas ce post (0)
Posts anciens #16 Posté (le) 18 Mars 2016, 11:55:12 (dernière édition (le) 18 Mars 2016, 11:55:32 par Daneks Britāls) Citer 

Here are some races no point to watch (like ovals). But majority is very interesting. Especially if you see and enjoy live how your strategy worked well, your calculations was perfect and pitstops good.

Bonus is if you are in active group with large number of people posting in forum. Reading the guys who are heavily blocked during the race is unbelievable fun. No matter you are blocker or not.
Josh Clark
(Groupe Master - 5)

Pays:
Angleterre 
Certifié: 
Posts anciens #17 Posté (le) 18 Mars 2016, 11:56:35 Citer 
Quote ( Mark Barker @ March 18th 2016,11:53:20 )

Most races start at 1pm local time (obviously excluding the night races!). So stick with that. When the race is in Australia etc then Europeans have a choice, get up in the middle of the night and play real time, or set a predefined strategy and hope.

So if I don't get up at stupid-o'clock to do my best to think strategically while trying not to dribble on my laptop, I'll be worse off for a race?

No thanks. I have a life.
Jimmy De Roy
(Groupe Amateur - 80)

Pays:
Belgique 
Certifié: 
Posts anciens #18 Posté (le) 18 Mars 2016, 11:56:48 Citer 

speaking for myself i have a day time job and honestly i can assure you i won't be getting up in the middle of the night just to check a race on an online game.
Kevin Parkinson
(Groupe Pro - 2)

Équipe GPRO
  Pays:
Écosse 
Certifié: 
J'aime ce post (3)   Je n'aime pas ce post (1)
Posts anciens #19 Posté (le) 18 Mars 2016, 11:57:18 (dernière édition (le) 18 Mars 2016, 11:58:25 par Kevin Parkinson) Citer 
It's never going to happen.

The game should not and will not ever give advantages to people that can happen to be online at race times (that's not even taking time zones in to account, some people are simply busy with jobs and family and real life so those that have more free time would be at an advantage). I'm sure many people would not be willing to plan their lives around an online game.

Furthermore, the full game engine would need to be redesigned to support such a change and, as is currently the case and don't see it changing, at least one admin is always about for the race in case of any issues. Can't see admins getting up at varying hours during the night and such like to run races.

And then there is the issue of time between races being impacted if race times are moved, which can have a massive factor on staff markets and time to test and qualify between races (especially if waiting for a staff decision first, as it can already be very tight).

Not everyone enjoys watching the races live (I rarely watch them and I know some that rarely miss them) but that's a personal choice.
Keri Lovell
(Groupe Rookie - 298)

Pays:
Pays de Galles 
Certifié: 
Posts anciens #20 Posté (le) 18 Mars 2016, 11:58:47 Citer 
Quote ( Kevin Parkinson @ March 18th 2016,11:57:18 )

It's never going to happen.

if the private races are ever introduced though, it would be an amazing option :-)
Kevin Parkinson
(Groupe Pro - 2)

Équipe GPRO
  Pays:
Écosse 
Certifié: 
Posts anciens #21 Posté (le) 18 Mars 2016, 12:01:58 Citer 
Quote ( Keri Lovell @ March 18th 2016,11:58:47 )

if the private races are ever introduced though, it would be an amazing option :-)

Yeah, I was obviously talking about the races as they are now. The private races certainly wouldn't have all the same negatives to adding such options so would be worth considering if your name was Vlad :)
Keri Lovell
(Groupe Rookie - 298)

Pays:
Pays de Galles 
Certifié: 
J'aime ce post (1)   Je n'aime pas ce post (0)
Posts anciens #22 Posté (le) 18 Mars 2016, 12:02:54 Citer 
Money spinner for sure :-)

Everyone likes money.
Tomek Kiełpiński
(Groupe Amateur - 72)

Pays:
Pologne 
Certifié: 
Posts anciens #23 Posté (le) 18 Mars 2016, 12:03:25 Citer 

One of the problems is that the admins are from Europe.

Another one, is a complete rebuild of the race engine and a huge investment into new servers able to recalculate all the race online.

And last but not least, there are plenty of people playing this game because they don't have to be online during the race.

Like it or not, but I would say that such a change will never happen.
Jody Parker
(Groupe Amateur - 3)

Pays:
Angleterre 
Certifié: 
Posts anciens #24 Posté (le) 18 Mars 2016, 12:06:21 Citer 
I find that without watching the races I miss out on: what everyone around me are doing, who are my main competitors throughout the race, what different kind of strategies worked during the race and which did not, how various competitors prefer to race, and a bunch of other stuff.

Don't always watch "live" though, if I miss it I check the replay afterwards though I do not get as much from that as the "live" version as I tend to skip forward too fast to actually reflect on the race.

But, each to theirs and I can understand and accept others both being more keen and less keen to watch it.
That also means not questioning "why" something exists.
Kashvinder Mann
(Groupe Amateur - 60)

Pays:
Singapour 
Certifié: 
Posts anciens #25 Posté (le) 18 Mars 2016, 12:13:57 Citer 
Quote ( Vesa Ritvanen @ March 18th 2016,11:42:18 )

It is one of the most entertaining way to spend your friday evening!

I guess it's also a very entertaining way to spend your early Saturday morning for those of us on the other side of the world. :P

I don't really watch the races myself only because of the timing (3am start time here). There was a time where I would stay up to watch the races but even then the main reason was just to talk to my team-mates during the races, makes it more entertaining that way.
Mason Somoza
(Groupe Amateur - 57)

Pays:
Nicaragua 
Certifié: 
Posts anciens #26 Posté (le) 18 Mars 2016, 12:14:22 Citer 

If you want plug and play, try United GP on iPad, but you won't get 1/100th the challenge you get from this game.

At first, I hated watching the races prob the first 6-7 THEN when I started to GET the game (not that I am an expert, have a lot get still), started chatting with a few people during races, and reading others ideas on strats, etc, races became somewhat of an addiction and learning experience.

Mark Barker
(Groupe Rookie - 261)

Pays:
Angleterre 
Certifié: 
Posts anciens #27 Posté (le) 18 Mars 2016, 12:33:19 Citer 
Quote ( Mason Somoza @ March 18th 2016,12:14:22 )

If you want plug and play, try United GP on iPad, but you won't get 1/100th the challenge you get from this game.

At first, I hated watching the races prob the first 6-7 THEN when I started to GET the game (not that I am an expert, have a lot get still), started chatting with a few people during races, and reading others ideas on strats, etc, races became somewhat of an addiction and learning experience.

Plug & play is the opposite to what I want! I like the challenge of learning a complex game, and whilst I fully accept I'm not going to take it as seriously as many on here, I would like to get to level where I'm consistently challenging for podiums etc.
But...
I suppose what I was expecting from the game was a little more interactivity and a more upto date feel, rather than something that looks like its developed from an old Spectrum game (I know, the clever stuff in the background would melt a hundred spectrums, but it doesn't feel that way).
Michael Keeney
(Groupe Master - 2)

Pays:
Angleterre 
Certifié: 
J'aime ce post (2)   Je n'aime pas ce post (0)
Posts anciens #28 Posté (le) 18 Mars 2016, 12:52:18 Citer 
I personally love watching the race play out. As Phil put it. It's 90-160 mins of pure torture. Maybe I'm a sadist as you usually know what the result will be due to temps/tyres anyway :)
David Rolleston1
(Groupe Pro - 17)

Pays:
Angleterre 
Certifié: 
Posts anciens #29 Posté (le) 18 Mars 2016, 12:56:01 Citer 
Quote ( Michael Keeney @ March 18th 2016,12:52:18 )

I personally love watching the race play out. As Phil put it. It's 90-160 mins of pure torture. Maybe I'm a sadist as you usually know what the result will be due to temps/tyres anyway :)

Listening to Keano's commentary on Whats App, I can confirm the lad goes through absolute torture - pure dead brilliant :-)
Michael Keeney
(Groupe Master - 2)

Pays:
Angleterre 
Certifié: 
Posts anciens #30 Posté (le) 18 Mars 2016, 12:56:49 Citer 
Quote ( David Rolleston @ March 18th 2016,12:56:01 )

Listening to Keano's commentary on Whats App, I can confirm the lad goes through absolute torture - pure dead brilliant :-)

Live by the sword, die by the sword Rollo!
Page [12 » Saut rapide vers la page:
Grand Prix Racing Online Forum > General forum > whats the point of the actual race? Ajouter ce sujet à votre liste des sujets à ignorer Ajouter ce sujet à votre liste des sujets à observer

Répondre à ce sujet