Page « 1 2 3 ... 22 23 [24 Quick go to page:
Author Topic: Is this cheating? 705 replies
Jon Day
(Group Amateur - 3)

England 
Certified: 
Like this post (0)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #691 posted Jun 24th 2017, 09:10:46 (last edited Jun 24th 2017, 09:11:22 by Jon Day) Quote 
Quote ( Peter Thompson @ June 24th 2017,00:06:16 )

Toygun was actually wrong about loads of stuff
He spoke very highly of you. :P :D
Daniel Douglas
(Group Amateur - 71)

United States 
Certified: 
Like this post (1)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #692 posted Jun 24th 2017, 10:50:24 Quote 
Quote ( João Monteiro @ June 23rd 2017,11:39:33 )

but if you need a calculator in Elite...you just aren't ready to be among the elite

What about an abacus?
Eduard Dragman
(Group Rookie - 71)

Croatia 
Certified: 
Like this post (2)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #693 posted Jun 24th 2017, 11:33:43 Quote 
Quote ( Jasper Coosemans @ June 23rd 2017,18:21:11 )

Setup tools are overrated anyway, they are only of real use when the weather changes between Q1 and Q2. Yes skipping practice saves cash, but not to such extent that it will turn a mediocre manager into a successful one. Tyres, fuel and especially car wear can be crucial though, in my opinion. But a lot can be done by just having data, without knowing the formulae behind it.

So there are tools that give you a perfect setup with one click? Oh, now it makes sense how leader in my group seems to spend less money for practice and qualy than rest and still have the fastest times during the race and very little time spent online. Also winning every race yet he only joined gpro at the end of the last season. Kind of demotivating to be punished by -400.000$ and 15-20 min of my time before every race just because I find the setup manually.
Chris Shaw
(Group Pro - 15)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #694 posted Jun 24th 2017, 11:38:52 (last edited Jun 24th 2017, 11:40:26 by Chris Shaw) Quote 
Eduard, you could try comparing the lap time of your initial setup guess against your final setup and you will see the difference. Then you can decide if the difference is worth 400k.

Other than that, getting the wings perfect might be useful for playing with wing balances, but FOBY (teams have tools that do all the math for you, I count that as FOBY...)

Edit: oh and I don't like saying 400k per race. I like saying 6.8m/season. That's a few parts on the car, or some facilities.
Jasper Coosemans1
(Group Amateur - 28)

Belgium 
Certified: 
Old post #695 posted Jun 24th 2017, 12:53:46 Quote 
Quote ( Eduard Dragman @ June 24th 2017,11:33:43 )

So there are tools that give you a perfect setup with one click? Oh, now it makes sense how leader in my group seems to spend less money for practice and qualy than rest and still have the fastest times during the race and very little time spent online. Also winning every race yet he only joined gpro at the end of the last season. Kind of demotivating to be punished by -400.000$ and 15-20 min of my time before every race just because I find the setup manually.

Like I said it is not a magic bullet. I don't use setup tools, I consistently drive all 8 practice laps, but I think I can say I'm doing fine with that. About your group leader... his performance is at least... "remarkable"...

@Chris: it still is 400k per race. I see many managers who throw away much more than that because their driver is expensive, and/or their staff salary and facility maintenance is more expensive than needed, etc. I drive all practice laps yet it is only 3.6% of my expenditure so far this season. If I was short on cash, I think this would not be the first thing to look at.
Chris Shaw
(Group Pro - 15)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #696 posted Jun 24th 2017, 13:06:22 Quote 
It is indeed very little compared to the whole season, but it's still money. I'd say the biggest money saving is if you really plan your testing so that you replace 1 fewer of each part throughout the season. That's if you need the testing to begin with!
Jasper Coosemans1
(Group Amateur - 28)

Belgium 
Certified: 
Old post #697 posted Jun 24th 2017, 13:10:24 Quote 
Totally agree. And that brings us back to wear calculation being much more important than setup calculation. :)
Tibor Szuromi
(Group Amateur - 25)

Hungary 
Certified: 
Old post #698 posted Jun 24th 2017, 13:18:40 Quote 
Jasper and Chris!

Everything is important.
Eduard Dragman
(Group Rookie - 71)

Croatia 
Certified: 
Like this post (0)   Dislike this post (1)
Old post #699 posted Jun 24th 2017, 13:25:23 Quote 
Quote ( Chris Shaw @ June 24th 2017,11:38:52 )

Eduard, you could try comparing the lap time of your initial setup guess against your final setup and you will see the difference. Then you can decide if the difference is worth 400k.

Other than that, getting the wings perfect might be useful for playing with wing balances, but FOBY (teams have tools that do all the math for you, I count that as FOBY...)

Edit: oh and I don't like saying 400k per race. I like saying 6.8m/season. That's a few parts on the car, or some facilities.

I think you missed my point. I obviously see the difference between my first setup guess and the setup at the end of the setup practice. I usually gain around 1s per lap, that's definitely worth 400k. I am just saying it's demoralizing to find out that others with car setup tools get even better set up than me with only a click, thus getting a better result while saving 400k that I pay.
Robin Goodey
(Group Master - 4)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #700 posted Jun 24th 2017, 13:48:14 Quote 
Join a team Eduard - if it is a decent team, they will have their own tool which will give you that same possibility of doing much fewer practice laps.

As for your opponent - unfortunately its extremely likely that the title of this thread is VERY appropriate when talking about that person - in fact, I could even say DOUBLY so.......
Hopefully Vlad or Mr Shadow reads the thread and takes a closer look...
Tibor Szuromi
(Group Amateur - 25)

Hungary 
Certified: 
Old post #701 posted Jun 24th 2017, 13:57:24 Quote 
FOBY or TEAM?
Darren Brown
(Group Amateur - 72)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #702 posted Oct 20th 2018, 19:10:39 Quote 
Forgive me for updating a thread over a year old,

Im in my 4th season, and i aquired tools either from google, and/or team mates in my first season, and as you can see i went straight to amature.

Now i am in the mathmatically challenged group, although i can replicate the tyre and fuel calculators from the GO app.

Now i have my own data to look at, and although i can see certain things i dont know how to go about converting that into a useful 'formula'. believe me ive been trying this and that and it still makes no sense.

Regarding the tools, i have all the answers there, but dont understand how to come to those conclusions. (im not asking for any info) and they all come back with different values, (1 seems pretty close, as i found the answer to happiness)

So i dont think its cheating, it has helped in a way, but given more questions than i should really have in my early gpro career.

im sure it will all fall into place as time goes on, but until then tailending midfielding in amature with the prospect of going back to rookie lol
George Slater4
(Group Pro - 9)

Canada 
Certified: 
Like this post (2)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #703 posted Oct 20th 2018, 19:42:36 Quote 
If you are using what's available to you, I wouldn't consider that cheating at all. I'd say most managers naturally go and use what's available to them, and especially in a team setting the idea of collaborating to get better results is a major aspect of the game, I'd say it's why teams exist in the first place. So don't feel bad about it.

As to trying to understand the formula's behind GPRO, they are not easy, otherwise everyone and their donkey would understand them. Pretty much every manager and team has things they are trying to understand, and that's a big element of the game and without it the game wouldn't be nearly as challenging.

I don't mean to scare you off from trying though. My advice would be to look at more than just your data, ask your teammates to share theirs as well. Not only will this give you more data to look at, but chances are they will have different stats as well giving you a wider variety of scenarios to look at in trying to come up with a formula.
Cristian Morales
(Group Rookie - 118)

Argentina 
Certified: 
Old post #704 posted Oct 20th 2018, 19:45:48 Quote 
as long as you don't use a double account, steal information or hack ypu should be fine on that regard. Be careful when you look for things done online from third party websites tho, since those can be dangerous with theft.

-------------

Is it cheating when you used the other hand?
Darren Brown
(Group Amateur - 72)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #705 posted Oct 20th 2018, 19:46:41 (last edited Oct 20th 2018, 19:51:42 by Darren Brown) Quote 
Quote ( George Slater @ October 20th 2018,19:42:36 )

I don't mean to scare you off from trying though. My advice would be to look at more than just your data, ask your teammates to share theirs as well. Not only will this give you more data to look at, but chances are they will have different stats as well giving you a wider variety of scenarios to look at in trying to come up with a formula.

Haha, you have not scared me off, i do have others data to look over, but have been concentrating on my own,
thanks for the advice :)

Quote ( Cristian Morales @ October 20th 2018,19:45:48 )

as long as you don't use a double account

Mr shadow sorted an innocent mistake after i realised i had registered a few years ago and didnt do nothing

steal information

Would not do such a thing

or hack

wouldnt know even where to start to do this

:)

Mikko Heikkinen
(Group Pro - 3)

Finland 
Certified: 
Old post #706 posted Oct 20th 2018, 21:09:49 Quote 
Quote ( George Slater @ October 20th 2018,19:42:36 )

otherwise everyone and their donkey would understand

I kind'a like that figure of speech :)
Page « 1 2 3 ... 22 23 [24 Quick go to page:

Reply to this topic