Page « 1 2 [34 5 6 » Quick go to page:
Author Topic: Kony 2012 165 replies
Brendan Evans
(Group Pro - 1)

Australia 
Certified: 
Like this post (2)   Dislike this post (1)
Old post #61 posted Mar 9th 2012, 11:15:41 Quote 
Before wasting 30minutes on some KONY video, i thought id do some research on the Invisible Children Charity, i found it rather funny that 2/3 founders of the "Charity" are actually film makers... and less than 25% of donations actually go to Uganda.. whilst they all get paid close to $100,000 per year, the icing on the cake was when they made 13million dollars in 2011 but 8million went into "expenses".... quote from my friend, paisan the great aka Antonio pappaluca.... so everyone thinking your helping the world by sharing the video, your not... your just making media masterminda rich ...
Kevin Lam
(Group Amateur - 57)

Australia 
Certified: 
Like this post (1)   Dislike this post (1)
Old post #62 posted Mar 9th 2012, 11:28:22 (last edited Mar 9th 2012, 11:28:51 by Kevin Lam) Quote 
If you actually watched the documentary yourself, you would find that the filmmakers went out of their way to persuade the senators which eventually went to the president, Barack Obama, and he approved it. Trying to pursuade the President, little lone a Senator is not a publicity stunt that you could just do just for fun, and just get a slap on wrist for it.

Throughout the documentary, the filmmakers had expert opinions to shed their light on Kony. Remember this is a propaganda; to show everyone on planet Earth who this guy really is so that they can take action.

I don't understand why you are so against a group of filmmakers trying to make a documentary.
Quote ( Brendan Evans @ March 9th 2012,11:15:41 )

i found it rather funny that 2/3 founders of the "Charity" are actually film makers
Well someone had to make a video in the first place...why pay someone else to do it when you can do it yourself????? I find your argument un-logical, but I respect your opinion and many others. This is just my take on the doco 'Kony'.

George Brown
(Group Amateur - 26)

England 
Certified: 
Like this post (0)   Dislike this post (1)
Old post #63 posted Mar 9th 2012, 11:37:16 Quote 
Quote ( Kevin Lam @ March 9th 2012,11:28:22 )

I don't understand why you are so against a group of filmmakers trying to make a documentary.

Just because someone makes a documentary doesn't mean that they're telling the truth. Read that article on the Telegraph I posted earlier, a lot of people in Uganda are quite pissed off about it. Documentary makers are as capable as anyone else (if not more so) of slightly shifting facts for their own political or financial ends.

Have you see 'An Inconvenient Truth'? Almost a total fabrication, but hey, it's a documentary, so it must be true and everyone should believe it, right?
Kevin Lam
(Group Amateur - 57)

Australia 
Certified: 
Like this post (1)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #64 posted Mar 9th 2012, 11:43:44 Quote 
Not necessarily, but the use of expert opinions and the scenes showing their talks with senators pretty much says that it could be the truth. Those are just the little things that could deam a documentary being the truth to being a total ripoff of time.

How would you know that the Telegraph are not trying to just sell their papers? It might be just a tabloid...pretty much are what all newpapers are today. You gotta use your intuition and watch the documentary instead of just going off with what journalists are saying...which most of the time are utter BS.
Kevin Parkinson
(Group Rookie - 217)

GPRO Crew
Scotland 
Certified: 
Old post #65 posted Mar 9th 2012, 11:53:57 Quote 
Quote ( Kevin Lam @ March 9th 2012,11:43:44 )

watch the documentary instead of just going off with what journalists are saying...which most of the time are utter BS.

or

read the newspaper instead of just going off with what film makers are saying...which most of the time are utter BS.

How can you claim one to be correct and not the other? :)
Shoaib Mohamed
(Group Pro - 13)

India 
Certified: 
Old post #66 posted Mar 9th 2012, 11:56:29 Quote 
Well, the documentary has got squeaky clean senators in them :p
Mark Webster
(Group Master - 4)

Scotland 
Certified: 
Like this post (0)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #67 posted Mar 9th 2012, 12:04:03 Quote 
Quote ( Sion Francis @ March 9th 2012,11:03:27 )

The announcement that an oil field had been discovered in Uganda came on August 4th, 2009 (as far as I can tell).

The US gave funding ( though sent no troops) for the removal of this man in 2008...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008%E2%80%932009_Garamba_offen...

A small amount of US troops (100 or so) were sent into Uganda toward the end of 2011 to further the campaign (yes, this is after oil fields were discovered).

The main reason this is becoming public news now is because of the particularly effective documentary released by "Invisible Children inc" which is a body established specifically for the purpose of highlighting the attrocities committed by Kony and the LRA, not because of any particular public awareness drive by a government with an agenda.

------

So - the US Government went in long before the super villain was born...they themselves did not create that super-villain, and they were helping before oil was even discovered there.

You are my Yoda. xx
Aki Perätalo
(Group Pro - 4)

Finland 
Certified: 
Like this post (5)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #68 posted Mar 9th 2012, 12:04:16 Quote 
Quote ( Kevin Parkinson @ March 9th 2012,11:53:57 )

How can you claim one to be correct and not the other? :)

Of course bcuz it's a video on da intranets, and so iz must beh truuu!11!!
George Brown
(Group Amateur - 26)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #69 posted Mar 9th 2012, 12:14:47 (last edited Mar 9th 2012, 12:16:10 by George Brown) Quote 

Not necessarily, but the use of expert opinions and the scenes showing their talks with senators pretty much says that it could be the truth.

Aside from the ludicrous statement 'pretty much says that it could be the truth' which is tantamount to saying 'it might be rubbish but we have no idea', I bet that if we had videos of 'experts' telling the UK cabinet in 2002 that Iraq had WMDs that could land on Israel in hours, that'd be true as well, correct?
Michael Monaco
(Group Amateur - 54)

Italy 
Certified: 
Like this post (1)   Dislike this post (2)
Old post #70 posted Mar 9th 2012, 12:16:28 Quote 
Quote ( Brendan Evans @ March 9th 2012,11:15:41 )

25% of donations actually go to Uganda

25% of millions is better than nothing.

A lot of ppl are being really negative of what is really a good thing. It doesnt matter how much the ppl get paid, it doesnt matter what their expenses are, or that really they are just film makers. They are still doing good in the world, and doing work in something they are very passionate about. This isnt a Nigerian Princess Scam.

Even if you dont donate to Invisible Children (which I wont) you are now aware. And you can choose to donate to them or someone else doing similar work. I'm sure there's no shortage of charities that help in Africa. And most ppl that are now aware wont do anything to help anyway, nor would they have if this wasnt a "scam". A lot of ppl are now discussing this because its become the "cool" thing to do, and not because they truely want to help or get involved.

Regradless what these film makers are doing is admirable work.

Kevin Lam
(Group Amateur - 57)

Australia 
Certified: 
Old post #71 posted Mar 9th 2012, 12:24:56 Quote 
What I am trying to say is this, instead of taking the documentary in the wrong way, take it as a way of you knowing what is happening in Africa. I'am sure that the majority wouldn't even known of Joseph Kony if it wasn't for 'Kony 2012'. Your point/opinion is well respected and Michael's post basically summed up what I did try to say. Your view, do whatever you please :D
Rahul Moitra
(Group Rookie - 264)

India 
Certified: 
Old post #72 posted Mar 9th 2012, 13:26:23 Quote 
Something i found...

http://visiblechildren.tumblr.com/

and Re-buttal

From Invisible Children...

http://www.invisiblechildren.com.s3-website-us-east-1.amazon...
Brendan Evans
(Group Pro - 1)

Australia 
Certified: 
Old post #73 posted Mar 9th 2012, 13:28:30 (last edited Mar 9th 2012, 13:31:53 by Brendan Evans) Quote 
Quote ( Michael Monaco @ March 9th 2012,12:16:28 )

25% of millions is better than nothing.

A lot of ppl are being really negative of what is really a good thing. It doesnt matter how much the ppl get paid, it doesnt matter what their expenses are, or that really they are just film makers. They are still doing good in the world, and doing work in something they are very passionate about. This isnt a Nigerian Princess Scam.

Even if you dont donate to Invisible Children (which I wont) you are now aware. And you can choose to donate to them or someone else doing similar work. I'm sure there's no shortage of charities that help in Africa. And most ppl that are now aware wont do anything to help anyway, nor would they have if this wasnt a "scam". A lot of ppl are now discussing this because its become the "cool" thing to do, and not because they truely want to help or get involved.

Regradless what these film makers are doing is admirable work.

I agree that 25% of something is better than nothing. And I see what Kevin is saving.. I think the 'principle/idea' of it is a good thing. However, the purpose of a charity is to donate to the given foundation/area/etc that the donations are being given for, not to fill the pockets of those running the charity.. I understand there are expenses involved, however you can't run around calling yourself a charity worker, pulling 100k a year from donation as a salary and who the hell knows what else whilst donating less than a third of that to the intended cause.

If i was donating for anything, and I do donate especially for good friday appeal, but I would want to know my donation is doing what it was intended for the most part and not going straight into someone's expenses account. Look if they needed to take 10% of it for self survival of charity and promotion etc not a problem in the world.. but 75%+ is just criminal... it is probably borderline illegal in most places.

Quote ( Rahul Moitra @ March 9th 2012,13:26:23 )

Something i found...
http://visiblechildren.tumblr.com/
and Re-buttal
From Invisible Children...
http://www.invisiblechildren.com.s3-website-us-east-1.amazon...

That response it crap, someone whips up a pretty graph and it's meant to make it allright?

Let me put it a different way, I'd much prefer a charity to have HALF the amount of awareness and spend HALF the amount on media crap etc that they claim and still be able to donate more than they did... Have a close look at that graph as well, the only REAL marketing expenses were less than 13% of the entire expenses they claimed.

Keri Lovell
(Group Master - 1)

Wales 
Certified: 
Old post #74 posted Mar 11th 2012, 12:11:14 Quote 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k78xX9uwj-0&sns=fb

Alan Snyder
(Group Amateur - 24)

United States 
Certified: 
Like this post (0)   Dislike this post (7)
Old post #75 posted Mar 11th 2012, 21:08:45 Quote 
Bump. This is going crazy across the world wide web. Please post to you social networks, everyone, and keep the momentum building.
Shoaib Mohamed
(Group Pro - 13)

India 
Certified: 
Like this post (4)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #76 posted Mar 11th 2012, 21:12:47 Quote 
No, thanks!
Keri Lovell
(Group Master - 1)

Wales 
Certified: 
Like this post (3)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #77 posted Mar 11th 2012, 21:24:27 Quote 
Quote ( Keri Lovell @ March 11th 2012,12:11:14 )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k78xX9uwj-0&sns=fb

Bump, try and see the facts
Shoaib Mohamed
(Group Pro - 13)

India 
Certified: 
Like this post (5)   Dislike this post (1)
Old post #78 posted Mar 11th 2012, 21:35:29 (last edited Mar 11th 2012, 21:35:58 by Shoaib Mohamed) Quote 
Have they caught him yet? Oh wait, that wouldn't help the funds collections would it?
Keri Lovell
(Group Master - 1)

Wales 
Certified: 
Like this post (3)   Dislike this post (1)
Old post #79 posted Mar 11th 2012, 21:39:45 Quote 
You know its 25 dollars for a poster pack that they recommend to illegally fly post on every available wall? (Someone has to clean that up, and tax payers will do it ;-) )

You are right, they wont catch the guy the have known about for 26 years because he is in the jungle somewhere, like Bin Ladens cave, hahaha!!!
Luke Frost
(Group Rookie - 60)

Australia 
Certified: 
Like this post (3)   Dislike this post (2)
Old post #80 posted Mar 11th 2012, 22:42:35 Quote 
Quote ( Alan Snyder @ March 11th 2012,21:08:45 )

Bump. This is going crazy across the world wide web. Please post to you social networks, everyone, and keep the momentum building.

Did your favourite movie star put it on their twitter? :)

For a few days, this rogue plan fooled me. I'm sure Africans will blow up the whitehouse in a few months just in case nobody wants to support them.....
Jack Benson
(Group Rookie - 149)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #81 posted Mar 11th 2012, 23:02:43 Quote 
One cannot simply destabilize an African warlord by liking a facebook status.
Leonardo Bittencourt
(Group Rookie - 94)

Brazil 
Certified: 
Like this post (3)   Dislike this post (1)
Old post #82 posted Mar 11th 2012, 23:52:39 (last edited Mar 11th 2012, 23:57:59 by Leonardo Bittencourt) Quote 
I watched it, and I am seriously disappointed but not surprise. What is the solution they ultimatily propose? Military intervention? More and more military intervention, and by who exactly? It isn't China or India or Russia or any of the 3rd world countries that would bother to take this issue, in other words, it boils down to simply another attempt to get the US/NATO to play world police all over again, despite their questionable track records and motives.

That is just not comfortable to me, remove Kony, and who is going to remain back in Africa to stop another Kony from appearing? It looks too much like an attempt to focus people's thought away from the economy crisis, those who were responsible for it, and put it into another issue.

I am not saying that war criminals should just be let free, but realy, what irks me the most is how human beings continue to always fail in choosing their priorities.

All of the people that committed the frauds on the financial market before and during the crisis(see the Inside Job http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLZJu_QCtUs ). Instead of bring persectuded and trialed they got off with no consequences, and with huge bonuses.

Where is the world wide demand to put these "criminals" under investigation? The money these people made/make can feed how many African kids again?

Not knowing your priorities is just shit, unfortunately, oh well...

And as a general comment I found the appeal to emotion way too low level, the part putting his son on camera and talking about bad guy. NO S**T the 5yo or whatever kid thinks bad guys needs to go to jail? Realy is it that simple? What is the purpose of that scene? Such a serious issue, you shouldn't need to rely on a 5yo whatever kid to convince you. Provide the facts and the argument, present the truth, and you win, don't need low level appeal to emotion silliness...
Luke Frost
(Group Rookie - 60)

Australia 
Certified: 
Like this post (0)   Dislike this post (2)
Old post #83 posted Mar 11th 2012, 23:59:48 Quote 
Shortcut to getting threads closed due to political discussion: have Leo post. :P
Luke Frost
(Group Rookie - 60)

Australia 
Certified: 
Like this post (2)   Dislike this post (2)
Old post #84 posted Mar 12th 2012, 00:05:17 Quote 
Quote ( Leonardo Bittencourt @ March 11th 2012,23:52:39 )

I am not saying that war criminals should just be let free, but realy, what irks me the most is how human beings continue to always fail in choosing their priorities.

This is a good point, however, considering the downward spiral of support shown around the world (proof is in this thread - each page shows less compassion than the one before it), I think the public are too clever to be fooled once again by American propaganda.

Especially after Julian Assange was 'convicted of rape' among many other 'awful things' people/countries who threat the mighty US have 'done.'
Sion Francis
(Group Amateur - 22)

Wales 
Certified: 
Old post #85 posted Mar 12th 2012, 00:35:03 Quote 
Quote ( Leonardo Bittencourt @ March 11th 2012,23:52:39 )

That is just not comfortable to me, remove Kony, and who is going to remain back in Africa to stop another Kony from appearing? It looks too much like an attempt to focus people's thought away from the economy crisis, those who were responsible for it, and put it into another issue.

Please explain how a particular video by a charitable organisation going viral has anything to do with people who'd want to move any attention away from the alleged economic crisis.

The guy in the video Keri posted is guilty of the same leap of faith, but to an extremely alarming degree where he claims that "the bankers" are responsible for the video going viral.

Gobbledygook is a word that comes to mind...

the video may be misleading and inaccurate and the charity responsible may be corrupt...but I have seen no evidence at all of this being a "government driven conspiracy". There is an extremely clear distinction.
Leonardo Bittencourt
(Group Rookie - 94)

Brazil 
Certified: 
Old post #86 posted Mar 12th 2012, 00:52:22 (last edited Mar 12th 2012, 00:53:07 by Leonardo Bittencourt) Quote 
Quote ( Sion Francis @ March 12th 2012,00:35:03 )

Please explain how a particular video by a charitable organisation going viral has anything to do with people who'd want to move any attention away from the alleged economic crisis.

Do you think the video just promoted itself? Ask yourself who is promoting it and why.

Alleged economic crisis? lol I think Greece and the whole eurozone debacle just exist in a parallel dimension then... *roll eyes*

The guy in the video Keri posted is guilty of the same leap of faith, but to an extremely alarming degree where he claims that "the bankers" are responsible for the video going viral.

A bigger leap of faith is to believe the questions regarding oil and other resources got absolutely nothing to do with the final decision on if and how to act about it...

To me it is important not question the first stage(public support) but the final stage, where politicians will agree or not. And that final stage is influenced much more by finance and the economic interests then whether or not 50 million girls feel bad about Kony...

.but I have seen no evidence at all of this being a "government driven conspiracy". There is an extremely clear distinction.

On that I agree, however, it is not unfeasible for interests groups to take a hold of an opportunity to further other agendas, despite the original motivation may be.

Who exactly do you think funds military expenses? The governments? The economy? And who controls the economy? The elite that operates on the financial markets, including bankers and other firms. And when it comes to US who spends the most money on lobbying(and so effectively deciding what happens most of the time) in US politics? Right the top 1%...

When that guy said "bankers" I'd just interpret as the whole elite financial system...
Keri Lovell
(Group Master - 1)

Wales 
Certified: 
Old post #87 posted Mar 12th 2012, 00:54:44 (last edited Mar 12th 2012, 00:57:29 by Keri Lovell) Quote 
When have you ever seen evidence of a government driven conspiracy?

Its up to an individual to weigh up the facts.

4 wars in 4 countries that are oil rich. You dont have to be Sherlock Holmes. And for that matter, 4 'bogeymen'

Saddam, Osama, Gaddafi and now Kony.

You'd think they try and be a bit more original.
Sion Francis
(Group Amateur - 22)

Wales 
Certified: 
Old post #88 posted Mar 12th 2012, 01:06:30 (last edited Mar 12th 2012, 01:14:53 by Sion Francis) Quote 
Quote ( Leonardo Bittencourt @ March 12th 2012,00:52:22 )

Do you think the video just promoted itself? Ask yourself who is promoting it and why.

The video went viral...going viral means that nobody (or everybody) is promoting it.

Ask yourself who promoted the Numa Numa guy and why?

Quote ( Leonardo Bittencourt @ March 12th 2012,00:52:22 )

A bigger leap of faith is to believe the questions regarding oil and other resources got absolutely nothing to do with the final decision on if and how to act about it...

Oil = point of discussion, unquestionably. Fundamental reason for a war? Not without positive proof, no ...and entirely irrelevant to this video.

Quote ( Keri Lovell @ March 12th 2012,00:54:44 )

When have you ever seen evidence of a government driven conspiracy?

I may have this quote framed. ;)

Quote ( Keri Lovell @ March 12th 2012,00:54:44 )

Its up to an individual to weigh up the facts.

4 wars in 4 countries that are oil rich.

So, if some government somewhere wants to invade Uganda to take over the oil fields, they've decided the best way to do that is to build up public support against an anti ugandan-government organisation, and specifically a man who is probably not even in the country anymore.
Keri Lovell
(Group Master - 1)

Wales 
Certified: 
Old post #89 posted Mar 12th 2012, 01:22:03 Quote 
Quote ( Sion Francis @ March 12th 2012,01:06:30 )

I may have this quote framed. ;)

I didnt want to go too deep into facts but there is quite a few for you, you should appreciate these as a lawyer, considering they are de-classified documented government evidence. False flag operations have now been de-classified on numerous occasions, like starting the Vietnam war. Do we have to wait 50 years for evidence?

My answer was to your conspiracy question, a conspiracy is a lie, my point was why would they admit it?

Keri Lovell
(Group Master - 1)

Wales 
Certified: 
Old post #90 posted Mar 12th 2012, 01:23:31 (last edited Mar 12th 2012, 01:23:41 by Keri Lovell) Quote 
Quote ( Sion Francis @ March 12th 2012,01:06:30 )

So, if some government somewhere wants to invade Uganda to take over the oil fields, they've decided the best way to do that is to build up public support against an anti ugandan-government organisation, and specifically a man who is probably not even in the country anymore.

You know that he isnt a threat anymore, but do the 100m youtube viewers? Not until recently, and there are still 99m who have no idea its a lie.
Page « 1 2 [34 5 6 » Quick go to page:

Reply to this topic