Page [12 3 4 » Quick go to page:
Author Topic: Just a quickie 99 replies
Lee Downing
(Group Rookie - 118)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #1 posted Apr 9th 2012, 19:10:40 Quote 
After being here for only a number of weeks now, i just wanted to say something about the forums.

It seems when a newbie posts something in the ‘newbie’ thread there are too many on here waiting in the wings to shoot them straight down.

Now before I get hammered by these guys, please give me a minute to explain myself 

When I started GPRO I was overwhelmed with all the info I had to digest just to get started. There are loads to take in and learn which is why it’s so addictive. When someone new starts everything is not taken in and you just want to get that 1st race under your belt.

I find it frustrating when I read posts on the ‘newbie’ forum asking simple question which may not be so simple to someone 2 or 3 races in getting FOBY or read the Wiki guide read the rules etc.

If you guys with experience find it annoying with these posts in the newbie section why read it? Why post on it? It is a forum after all

Now I know some of you guys may think its ok to just post these things and I can see where you’re coming from. But when I have posted things I have found some of the replies quite rude. I have no problem with the reply being have a look at Wiki etc but give us guys a bit of space before you shoot us down.

I don’t mean to sound rude or having a go at anyone at all in this post, I just wanted you to know that us newbie’s have feelings too 
I am ready to get shot down now lol

Good luck everyone and thanks for taking the time to read

Lee
Lee Ifans
(Group Master - 1)

Canada 
Certified: 
Like this post (11)   Dislike this post (15)
Old post #2 posted Apr 9th 2012, 19:15:26 Quote 
Quote ( Lee Downing @ April 9th 2012,19:10:40 )

If you guys with experience find it annoying with these posts in the newbie section why read it? Why post on it?

FOBY
Signe Kangro
(Group Pro - 14)

Estonia 
Certified: 
Like this post (5)   Dislike this post (5)
Old post #3 posted Apr 9th 2012, 19:16:31 Quote 

I find it frustrating when I read posts on the ‘newbie’ forum asking simple question which may not be so simple to someone 2 or 3 races in getting FOBY or read the Wiki guide read the rules etc.

Main reason WHY most questions get answered with "FOBY" is that they are foby information and discussing them in the forums is a big no-no. Also I have seen A LOT of questions that could have been answered with the information in rules, faq, etc if the person would have bothered to read them instead of waiting for more experienced managers to paint it all red and spoonfeed it to them.
Jack Wemyss
(Group Rookie - 295)

England 
Certified: 
Like this post (3)   Dislike this post (3)
Old post #4 posted Apr 9th 2012, 19:16:40 Quote 
I don't think forum users are necessarily irritated by newbie questions.

More the way the questions are presented.
* Or to Translate
MRE da way da qs r prezented lol
Mairo Toom
(Group Amateur - 3)

Estonia 
Certified: 
Like this post (3)   Dislike this post (1)
Old post #5 posted Apr 9th 2012, 19:17:21 Quote 

Lee

Sox syndrome ? :D

But in total I must agree with you, but I must say, that...
1) Imo, newbie's get atm better feedback than in past, when they got "killed" immediately.
2) But some questions made by newbies are just too weird and easy if you have took at least one minute to just scroll over Newbie Guide.
Signe Kangro
(Group Pro - 14)

Estonia 
Certified: 
Like this post (2)   Dislike this post (2)
Old post #6 posted Apr 9th 2012, 19:18:25 Quote 
Quote ( Jack Wemyss @ April 9th 2012,19:16:40 )

MRE da way da qs r prezented lol

You forgot to replace some of the letters.
A=4
E=3
O=0
Dubravko Romanic
(Group Pro - 3)

Croatia 
Certified: 
Like this post (11)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #7 posted Apr 9th 2012, 19:21:10 Quote 
Quickie. :-)
Baah thought it was worth reading it. :-(
Michael Winkley
(Group Master - 4)

Wales 
Certified: 
Old post #8 posted Apr 9th 2012, 19:21:29 Quote 

If you guys with experience find it annoying with these posts in the newbie section why read it? Why post on it? It is a forum after all

"When I was a lad there really wasn't that much stuff posted in the forums, and we really did have to find things out by ourselves. Now we're at a stage whereby we've pretty much answered everything worth answering, but all you need to do is search the forums properly and you will find all the answers that we put our blood and sweat into finding out by ourselves."

When I started GPRO I was overwhelmed with all the info I had to digest just to get started. There are loads to take in and learn which is why it’s so addictive. When someone new starts everything is not taken in and you just want to get that 1st race under your belt.

Try to think about how it might have felt for newer players in the past. *hint: look up. ;)
Sion Francis
(Group Amateur - 22)

Wales 
Certified: 
Like this post (6)   Dislike this post (2)
Old post #9 posted Apr 9th 2012, 19:32:04 Quote 
Quote ( Signe Kangro @ April 9th 2012,19:16:31 )

Main reason WHY most questions get answered with "FOBY" is that they are foby information and discussing them in the forums is a big no-no. Also I have seen A LOT of questions that could have been answered with the information in rules, faq, etc if the person would have bothered to read them instead of waiting for more experienced managers to paint it all red and spoonfeed it to them.

This.

Some of the more resent topics in the newbie forum:

imo, deserve "read the rules" type answers:

"higher categories" - synopsis: How do I promote?
"rain tyres" - synopsis: are rain tyres faster than soft tyres?

imo, worthy threads:

"When shall I improve motor, chassis etc" - essentially asking for info on when to upgrade. Will get FOBY answers but at least you can say not covered in teh rules.
"passing certification" - a new player giving his thoughts on the merits of reading hte rules!

then there's Lee's threads:

-advice on driver contract (synopsis: OA and contract renewal)
-driver auction (symopsis: When can I sign a driver)
-Help ASAP please (synopsis: How do I sign a driver if the market's closed before the race)

----

Based on the threads opened by Lee I'm not too surprised he'd be under the impression that the FOBY culture is misplaced, as he's likely to have gotten a lot of those answers just because his threads are basic game mechanic questions. (no offence).

---

One of the oft-laid criticisms of this particular game is that there is too much information for the new player to digest. This may be true. But, if the newbie forum is cluttered with repeating threads, asking the same basic questions over and over, that ultimately actually leads to more and more information being less and less able to be found in the future. IMO, and site policy agrees (or rather, I agree with site policy) the important things for a newbie to learn are how to look up rules for themselves....I sitll have to do this sometimes, 5 years after joining. Start as you mean to go on, etc.
Janne Väänänen
(Group Master - 4)

Finland 
Certified: 
Old post #10 posted Apr 9th 2012, 19:36:07 Quote 
wholeheartedly agree.

In my opinion the worst answer you can give in a newbie thread is 'read the rules read the wiki read the faq read the newbie forum read the forums but dont post until youve done so!'

Fact is - many ppl asking these simple questions are just casually testing the game out and seeing if the game is fun, if they get interested in putting in more effort - they're not coming in and thinking 'hey, lets start playing the game by reading rules for 4 hours and then spending the next 4 hours doing a forum search'. We shouldn't drive them away, we should give them a friendly answer (obvs respecting the foby system), the way the community acts now only drives these casual ones away from here.

Yes, some are ready to do it, put in max effort at the start already, but thats just the optimal player type which is less than 2% of those starting the game.
Roy Mitchell
(Group Amateur - 39)

Canada 
Certified: 
Like this post (1)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #11 posted Apr 9th 2012, 19:39:08 Quote 
I find myself in agreement with Mr. Winkley. absolutely..
I just finished a rave on other thread about how newbies can be made to feel not wanted or incapable of playing by useless posts.
Maybe I'm exaggerating but... as I said there:

No reason to not be friendly and helpful in your post in the newbie forum.

Checking out the information that is available is always a sore point in this game.. oh, well :))
Signe Kangro
(Group Pro - 14)

Estonia 
Certified: 
Like this post (4)   Dislike this post (1)
Old post #12 posted Apr 9th 2012, 19:42:35 Quote 
Quote ( Janne Väänänen @ April 9th 2012,19:36:07 )

'hey, lets start playing the game by reading rules for 4 hours and then spending the next 4 hours doing a forum search'.

Yet, if you can't be bothered to do so. How are you supposed to play this game. It takes quite a lot of patience and concentration. And c'mon, Since when does it take 4 hours to read the rules. Exaggerate much?

I remember when I joined I was too shy to ask anything in these forums. So I dug in deep into anything I found. And the way I see it: if a person can't be bothered to do some research on his/her own then why should anyone bother to explain the obvious? Most of the thing rookies ask can be found with just looking for it for a few minutes.

Tho there are some people who don't have anything useful or kind to say to the newbies and just shout "FOBY" and feel good about themselves. I agree on that things can be put into nicer words than just those four words.
Sion Francis
(Group Amateur - 22)

Wales 
Certified: 
Like this post (11)   Dislike this post (1)
Old post #13 posted Apr 9th 2012, 19:44:01 Quote 
Perhaps someone hitting "New topic" in the newbie forum should be presented with a pop up written in big bold letters saying "Have you tried searching the forums & Reading the rules, most common questions will already be covered there"...with big huge links to the search forum button and the wiki in the pop up.
George Brown
(Group Pro - 6)

England 
Certified: 
Like this post (3)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #14 posted Apr 9th 2012, 19:50:43 Quote 
Quote ( Janne Väänänen @ April 9th 2012,19:36:07 )

In my opinion the worst answer you can give in a newbie thread is 'read the rules read the wiki read the faq read the newbie forum read the forums but dont post until youve done so!'

Sadly if they did do all those things most of the questions wouldn't be needed, as per Sion's original post.

On that basis I assume you're volunteering to read every newbie question that anyone ever posts, whether a repeated thread or answer that has been given 15 times, including in either the wiki or newbie guide, and patiently give them a direct URL or response to whatever request it might be? I suspect after doing 30 of them, you may change that opinion a bit!
Janne Väänänen
(Group Master - 4)

Finland 
Certified: 
Like this post (0)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #15 posted Apr 9th 2012, 19:51:06 (last edited Apr 9th 2012, 19:53:49 by Janne Väänänen) Quote 
Quote ( Signe Kangro @ April 9th 2012,19:42:35 )

Yet, if you can't be bothered to do so. How are you supposed to play this game. It takes quite a lot of patience and concentration. And c'mon, Since when does it take 4 hours to read the rules. Exaggerate much?

The rules, newb guide, wiki, faq are a huge boring wall of text. I actually never read the rules in any game I join because I'm way too lazy to put in the effort when I don't even know if the game is any fun.

Yet still, I got hooked up by the game and by time learned to play it, despite lacking the patience and concentration to read and research anything - surely I'm not the only one here?

Quote ( George Brown @ April 9th 2012,19:50:43 )

On that basis I assume you're volunteering to read every newbie question that anyone ever posts, whether a repeated thread or answer that has been given 15 times, including in either the wiki or newbie guide, and patiently give them a direct URL or response to whatever request it might be? I suspect after doing 30 of them, you may change that opinion a bit!

I would certainly have no problem with that - if someone does, then just ignore the newbie forum ... how hard can that be?
Jack Wemyss
(Group Rookie - 295)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #16 posted Apr 9th 2012, 19:52:03 Quote 
Quote ( Sion Francis @ April 9th 2012,19:44:01 )

Perhaps someone hitting "New topic" in the newbie forum should be presented with a pop up written in big bold letters saying "Have you tried searching the forums & Reading the rules, most common questions will already be covered there"...with big huge links to the search forum button and the wiki in the pop up.

And like with "Have you read the terms and conditions". All newbies will select yes, despite the actual answer being no.
George Brown
(Group Pro - 6)

England 
Certified: 
Like this post (3)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #17 posted Apr 9th 2012, 19:57:32 Quote 
Quote ( Janne Väänänen @ April 9th 2012,19:51:06 )

if someone does, then just ignore the newbie forum

I do ignore the newbie forum, for precisely that reason. Though now I shall check it regularly for all the help you are giving them!

I personally didn't read all the rules and bits of the newbie forum when I first joined the game - that's a bit much to take in at once with no point of reference, I'd say. Though having said that, every time I didn't know what was going on, the first thing I'd check would be the newbie guides and forums - never ask a question someone has already answered, that's just lazy. If people know that the only reason you're asking something is because you can't be arsed to look in a couple of places you've already been told exist, then they're far less likely to help you out, and rightly so.
Max Watson
(Group Amateur - 43)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #18 posted Apr 9th 2012, 20:05:03 Quote 
Quote ( Jack Wemyss @ April 9th 2012,19:52:03 )

And like with "Have you read the terms and conditions". All newbies will select yes, despite the actual answer being no.

It would still serve a purpose, though: any response that could be summarised as 'you are an idiot' would be vindicated.
Andrew Lawrence
(Group Amateur - 17)

England 
Certified: 
Like this post (5)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #19 posted Apr 9th 2012, 20:08:19 Quote 
Is anybody else slightly amused by the topic title? It seems the ads are becoming a lot more direct now.
Heite Schaumann
(Group Pro - 11)

Switzerland 
Certified: 
Like this post (9)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #20 posted Apr 9th 2012, 20:12:16 Quote 
Quote ( Sion Francis @ April 9th 2012,19:44:01 )

this has been suggested already, you may start with the sion in the mirror and do some forum search before posting ;)
Michael Monaco
(Group Amateur - 54)

Italy 
Certified: 
Old post #21 posted Apr 9th 2012, 21:08:22 Quote 
One of the few things that really really irk me is when a newbie asks a question and someone (me or other) provides a link directly to the answer and the noob completely disregards the link.

Other than that, im not normally bothered by the newbie forum
Kevin Faber
(Group Amateur - 1)

Canada 
Certified: 
Old post #22 posted Apr 9th 2012, 21:08:51 Quote 
It seems to me, rather than FOBY, the more helpful & friendlier answer would be linking to where to find it (if you know). And a rude "FOBY" isn't helpful in keeping noobs, nor in building a community. I also agree, unless you're a noob, posting rude FOBY answers in the noob forum seems pretty stupid.
Michael Winkley
(Group Master - 4)

Wales 
Certified: 
Like this post (2)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #23 posted Apr 9th 2012, 21:11:24 Quote 
Linking somewhere to find an answer kind of defeats the point of FOBY; you didn't FOBY...someone linked it for you...duh.
Sion Francis
(Group Amateur - 22)

Wales 
Certified: 
Old post #24 posted Apr 9th 2012, 21:14:21 Quote 
Quote ( Heite Schaumann @ April 9th 2012,20:12:16 )

this has been suggested already, you may start with the sion in the mirror and do some forum search before posting ;)

haha, touche.
Daryl Gee
(Group Amateur - 29)

South Africa 
Certified: 
Old post #25 posted Apr 9th 2012, 21:19:19 Quote 
Quote ( Kevin Faber @ April 9th 2012,21:08:51 )

It seems to me, rather than FOBY, the more helpful & friendlier answer would be linking to where to find it (if you know).

I suspect a lot of people don't actually understand what is FOBY, or what the point is of FOBY - if they're answering FOBY to a question where the answer is in a link then this is certainly the case.

Saša Rosić
(Group Amateur - 13)

Bosnia-Herzegovina 
Certified: 
Old post #26 posted Apr 9th 2012, 21:44:12 (last edited Apr 9th 2012, 21:44:48 by Saša Rosić) Quote 
Imo it doesn't take a lot of reading of newbie guides & wiki to come to the point where it says "search the forums". it is repeated and emphasized a lot, and it's true - you can find pretty much all the answers to the questions that aren't answered in the rules/wiki/FAQ etc. i'm not saying ppl should be rude to noobs or anything, but anyone who has put any effort to read any of the available help should have enough knowledge either not to ask such basic questions or at least find answers to them in previous forum topics. if all newbies made topics for all the things they don't know the forum would be flooded with unnecessary topics and it would ultimately be impossible to find any useful info.
Michael Monaco
(Group Amateur - 54)

Italy 
Certified: 
Old post #27 posted Apr 9th 2012, 21:53:03 Quote 
Quote ( Michael Winkley @ April 9th 2012,21:11:24 )

Linking somewhere to find an answer kind of defeats the point of FOBY; you didn't FOBY...someone linked it for you...duh.

It was discussed somewhere, I believe by an Admin or Mod too, that any information that has been openly discussed in the forums or that is part of the Rules, FAQ, Wiki, etc ... is not classified as FOBY material.

If something is listed in the rules, you can certainly tell someone the information.
Heite Schaumann
(Group Pro - 11)

Switzerland 
Certified: 
Like this post (2)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #28 posted Apr 9th 2012, 22:03:39 Quote 
my point:
i dont look on the content of the topic (what), i look at the manner (how). a polite but maybe stupid,fobyish Q ia worth a friendly answer, which i gave mostly via PM.
most harsh response are just an indication of dissatisfaction in the (game)performance of the answerer, just check their career and you know it.
Sasa Todorovich
(Group Rookie - 174)

Bosnia-Herzegovina 
Certified: 
Like this post (4)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #29 posted Apr 9th 2012, 22:05:45 Quote 
You can't expect for someone who's gathering information literally for years and suddenly when a newbie comes around, he'll reveal it all. It's nonsense and quite unfair.

Who was here to show us?
Keri Lovell
(Group Elite)

Wales 
Certified: 
Like this post (8)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #30 posted Apr 9th 2012, 22:05:58 Quote 
Why not designate someone as the forum newbie moderator?

We have them for the main and other language forums and the chat rooms.

That way the moderator could sort out the repeat posts, explain why and even guide the new player to the right places. Making the game a lot more friendly for new players.

I think the issue here is that the newbie forum comes up in the 'last posted' on the main page, so people dont look at the newbie part and instead just make sarcastic comments on the latest post, like they do on every other new post in there, Im sure its not a conspiracy against newbies, everyone is fair game for a piss take here :-p

Im pretty sure there will be many helpful people here willing to volunteer to moderate the newbie forum, I even just got a message saying Shoaib would do it, before he even knew my idea! What a nice guy. Hope he doesnt go back on his word.

Page [12 3 4 » Quick go to page:

Reply to this topic