Grand Prix Racing Online Forum > Newbie forum > 'Finding a driver' guide for new players Add this topic to your ignore list Add this topic to your watchlist
Page « 1 2 3 ... 6 [78 ... 12 13 14 » Quick go to page:
Author Topic: 'Finding a driver' guide for new players 407 replies
Guy Adams
(Group Pro - 10)

England 
Certified: 
Like this post (0)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #181 posted Jun 26th 2015, 09:33:09 Quote 
Quote ( Shane Ferguson @ June 26th 2015,09:29:34 )

Quote ( Guy Adams @ June 26th 2015,09:26:12 )

would there really be anything too bad with limiting salary on those initial drivers to, say, a $750k maximum?

Then half the rookie drivers would all have bids of 750k..not fixing anything with that idea I do not believe

Agreed, not fixing, because not sure it can be 'fixed'. Just trying to lessen the false assumption - e.g. newbie thinking that $750k is a 'normal' salary rather than $1.5m (or whatever it is on his/her first driver currently).

Just a thought, and may well be a bad one ;)
Kevin Parkinson
(Group Amateur - 120)

GPRO Crew
Scotland 
Certified: 
Old post #182 posted Jun 26th 2015, 09:34:54 Quote 
While this discussion is worthwhile, IMO, best to leave this Newbie thread to its intention and move the suggestion style talk to the suggestion thread, such as this one - /gb/forum/ViewTopic.asp?TopicId=25220#scroll

You're welcome :)
Milan Debast
(Group Rookie - 331)

Netherlands 
Certified: 
Old post #183 posted Aug 24th 2015, 14:26:41 Quote 
How long would it take for a Driver to accept your offer? / When does he choose?\

Gr, Milan
Kirsty Ridley
(Group Amateur - 20)

England 
Certified: 
Like this post (1)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #184 posted Aug 24th 2015, 14:28:04 Quote 
Driver market is mon and thur, between 19.00 and 21.00 gpro time. Decisions are made during that time :)
Eduardo Azevedo
(Group Amateur - 104)

Portugal 
Certified: 
Old post #185 posted Dec 19th 2015, 01:03:24 Quote 
Please, someone can tell me how is the system for classifying those without points.
I am in the amateur, and have zero points but I have had better ratings than others who are above me, for the average i would be ahead. Two of them have a lot less races .... I do not understand !!!
Kyle Morris
(Group Pro - 4)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #186 posted Dec 19th 2015, 01:04:53 Quote 
Best result is what determines it i am afraid. he could have a 9th, and you a 10th, and he'll be above you, even if your average is say 17 and his is 26

If he has missed loads he'll be automatically retired anyway if he misses 7 in a row
Ahmet Sonverdi
(Group Rookie - 201)

Turkey 
Certified: 
Old post #187 posted Dec 19th 2015, 01:05:47 Quote 
They finished 16th once. Your best result is 17th so far. So thats why they are above you
Mikko Heikkinen
(Group Master - 4)

Finland 
Certified: 
Old post #188 posted Dec 19th 2015, 01:13:55 (last edited Dec 19th 2015, 01:17:53 by Mikko Heikkinen) Quote 
Quote ( Eduardo Azevedo @ December 19th 2015,01:03:24 )

Please, someone can tell me how is the system for classifying those without points.

FIA regulations (this principle is used widely in motorsport)

7) DEAD HEAT

7.2 If two or more constructors or drivers finish the season with the same number of points, the higher place in the Championship (in either case) shall be awarded to :

a) The holder of the greatest number of first places.
b) If the number of first places is the same, the holder of the greatest number of second places.
c) If the number of second places is the same, the holder of the greatest number of third places and so on until a winner emerges.
d) If this procedure fails to produce a result, the FIA will nominate the winner according to such criteria as it thinks fit.
Roy Mitchell
(Group Amateur - 39)

Canada 
Certified: 
Old post #189 posted Dec 19th 2015, 06:49:19 Quote 
Demand a re-run!
Chris Prinsloo
(Group Rookie - 22)

South Africa 
Certified: 
Old post #190 posted Apr 21st 2016, 20:09:57 Quote 
Signed a new driver tonight, was looking for him for a while. He was 69 OA when signed, and 70 now after first training. I bought him with the expectation that he would not reach more than 85 OA before the season ends, since I want him for next season after the reset.

He has all the skills I was looking for, even though the OA was 69.

Am I seeing it correctly, that the possibility of him going over 85 OA before the reset is not likely to happen?
Jukka Sireni2
(Group Elite)

GPRO Crew
Finland 
Certified: 
Old post #191 posted Apr 21st 2016, 20:15:08 Quote 
It can go over 85 if motivation grows rapidly. But you can get it down by going below -15M in money.
Lucas Lobico
(Group Pro - 13)

Spain 
Certified: 
Like this post (2)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #192 posted Apr 21st 2016, 20:19:50 (last edited Apr 21st 2016, 20:24:39 by Lucas Lobico) Quote 
Loot at how the Motivation (and son also the OA) increases after the resukts in your next race. Make an estimation of how much it could continue growing, and how his OA could be at the end of the season.

By making some estimations, you could consider if he could go over 85, and then to take some measure to try to avoid it (not training him, or not pursuint the first place, for isntance). Just plan a little ahead. With a 15 points margin, I think he could be 'saved' ^^

But of course, the 'money trick' is always the option if you don't want to care about other measures (but you might also want to start the next season with some Motivation, for instance if you plan to race for promotion since the beginning).
Wade Pascoe
(Group Amateur - 53)

Australia 
Certified: 
Old post #193 posted May 21st 2016, 00:33:58 Quote 
How do people get drivers over the OA allowed? For example I've stepped up to amateur but some people have drivers 133 and higher? I can't buy anyone over 110? Am I missing something? Is there a trick to buying someone straight up over the allowed OA?
Graham Mercer
(Group Amateur - 80)

Australia 
Certified: 
Like this post (5)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #194 posted May 21st 2016, 01:26:52 Quote 
Wade they would have signed them for 2 seasons while the OA was still 110 or below and developed them from that point.

It is only in rookie that you lose your driver if they exceed the OA limit at season reset. In higher classes you keep your driver until his contract expires (unless you relegate).
Jon Campbell
(Group Rookie - 154)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #195 posted Jul 4th 2016, 22:34:49 Quote 
Hey guys,

I just signed up today. I have looked into joining before but didn't so I have read some of the materials.

One concern I have is I have got a new driver who is an 85. He is very high talent and low on everything else. I was thinking of not signing up to any of the last two races, but I was curious how his talent would help him.

My worry now is that the race may increase him to over 85, and then at the end of the season I will lose him.

Can anybody advise me on this please?

Jon.
Andrei Ciuchi
(Group Retired)

GPRO Crew
Romania 
Certified: 
Old post #196 posted Jul 5th 2016, 05:05:44 Quote 
Hello Jon,

You should give the mentor program a go. They can help you.

/gb/forum/ViewTopic.asp?TopicId=20521#scroll
Jon Day
(Group Pro - 17)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #197 posted Jul 5th 2016, 10:19:18 Quote 
Quote ( Andrei Ciuchi @ July 5th 2016,05:05:44 )

Hello Jon,
Hello mate. :-)
Quote ( Andrei Ciuchi @ July 5th 2016,05:05:44 )

You should give the mentor program a go. They can help you.
How dare you! Yes I've had a bad season, but no need to take the piss mate!
Quote ( Jon Campbell @ July 4th 2016,22:34:49 )

Can anybody advise me on this please?
As Andrei has said, get yourself setup on the mentor programme. :-) I'd also advise joining in on chat (most nights) as you will get more advice on there than you will ever get on the main forums. :-)
Robin Goodey
(Group Pro - 14)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #198 posted Jul 5th 2016, 10:56:52 Quote 
@ Jon C - just don't take driver advice from Jon D - he has shocking choice in drivers ;)
And don't believe a word he will say about me suggesting that driver to him - it's all lies I tell you!!!!

:p
Andrew Wilden
(Group Amateur - 110)

Australia 
Certified: 
Old post #199 posted Jul 5th 2016, 11:15:59 (last edited Jul 5th 2016, 11:18:40 by Andrew Wilden) Quote 
Hi Jon C,

OK, Jokes aside for the moment, I will answer a couple of things.

My worry now is that the race may increase him to over 85, and then at the end of the season I will lose him.

Possibly, you are correct, depending upon his attributes & the gain in Exp., & T.I from 2 Races.
He will gain motivation, but you can wipe that out before Silverstone by going DEEP negative (at least -$15 million)
As you are going to earn ~$7 million in R17, I would suggest going -$23 million before Silverstone, & you may be able to keep him.

But;

One concern I have is I have got a new driver who is an 85. He is very high talent and low on everything else.

In all seriousness "Why keep him ??"

1; For a Long Term Plan starting in Rookie, 24yo is Old.
2; Fat, needs 2 Seasons Training just to get to acceptable weight.
3; Very Expensive @$1 million salary.

I suggest you stay with your "Gut feeling" that High Talent is Good.
IMO, Look for an 18yo as Cheap as possible, & sign him before Silverstone, ready to train next Season, & go Promo to Amateur in S55.

If you need advice on the Drivers you find, feel Free to PM me with the Link, so I can have a look for you.

Cheers.
Brendan Evans
(Group Pro - 7)

Australia 
Certified: 
Old post #200 posted Jul 5th 2016, 11:20:57 Quote 
I found mine in the market :)
Sam Wainwright
(Group Amateur - 27)

England 
Certified: 
Like this post (4)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #201 posted Jul 5th 2016, 11:39:53 (last edited Jul 5th 2016, 11:46:29 by Sam Wainwright) Quote 
Quote ( Andrew Wilden @ July 5th 2016,11:15:59 )

In all seriousness "Why keep him ??"

1; For a Long Term Plan starting in Rookie, 24yo is Old.
3; Very Expensive @$1 million salary.

I suggest you stay with your "Gut feeling" that High Talent is Good.
IMO, Look for an 18yo as Cheap as possible, & sign him before Silverstone, ready to train next Season, & go Promo to Amateur in S55.

If you need advice on the Drivers you find, feel Free to PM me with the Link, so I can have a look for you.

I would actually not really advise this. If you're new, trying to train a driver up from scratch on top of learning all the other elements of this rather complex game might be a step too far. Certainly considering there are certain weaknesses a young driver can bring, which might be difficult to overcome without fairly decent knowledge of the game. My advise would be to experiment with drivers, find out which skills are more important and move on from there, with a view to maybe one day train up a driver, but maybe not right away, as you most likely don't even know what to train yet.

And "high talent is good" is not always the case really, it depends on what you want from a driver. In fact high talent can be quite a nuisance.

Quote ( Andrew Wilden @ July 5th 2016,11:15:59 )

I wouldn't worry too much about this particular point either ;)
Michael Winkley
(Group Pro - 12)

Wales 
Certified: 
Old post #202 posted Jul 5th 2016, 11:54:13 Quote 
Jon D just got relegated.

Jon C, the good news is that you are approaching the game the right way. Read, read some more, keep reading, and if you got bored then read all of my posts in chronological order.
Some of the stuff you'll read is a sack of Jon D, so keep an eye out for those making unsubstantiated claims.

Jon D is a god. That is clearly evidenced by reality.
Peter Steiner
(Group Rookie - 159)

Germany 
Certified: 
Old post #203 posted Feb 10th 2017, 15:03:26 Quote 
Hi guys,
one question:
How can I train and increase the stamina value of my driver?
Thanks
Rocco Stallone
(Group Rookie - 43)

United States 
Certified: 
Old post #204 posted Feb 10th 2017, 15:09:54 Quote 
If you look at the training options,one should stand out.

You also can get stamina by performing a certain expensive action between races.

How have you raced over 50 gp's,and promoted,and not know this?

Good for you dude..lol
Martynas Siaudkulis
(Group Rookie - 45)

Lithuania 
Certified: 
Old post #205 posted Jun 8th 2017, 12:02:36 Quote 
I got driver with 225 Talent and 123 technical insight overall 76 ( with 0 motivation ), everything else is pretty much around 0-30, now developing his concentration since its only 44, is this good option to go for next season from rookie to amateur? ( pilot should not reach 85 by the end ) because ill just go with 0 motivation and next season continue developing his skills same way but going to promote as well and by the end of this season I should have around 100 concentration, and if I continue going just same way just full concentration by the end of next I should have around 180 conc, but that will be neccesary so ill develop some other things into him perhaps stamina, is this a good option?
Kyle Morris
(Group Amateur - 51)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #206 posted Jun 8th 2017, 12:13:41 Quote 
I'd say that is a good basis. Technical might be a little on the high side but is manageable.

My personal advice is yeah train conc but only till its 100. Then put it all into stamina. You will yield much better results from stamina training. You should hit 100 by around race 11-12 so after that train stamina and that should be around 50 by the time you should hopefully promote next season. Good luck :)
Josh Clark
(Group Pro - 1)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #207 posted Jun 8th 2017, 14:01:52 (last edited Jun 8th 2017, 14:03:01 by Josh Clark) Quote 
I disagree with Kyle. Most of the time, to counter the fact that Yoga training reduces stamina, you want your driver at an optimal amount of concentration before you start training stamina, otherwise it's effectively wasted money. And 100 concentration should definitely not be your finishing point as that is not enough for higher tiers. Then again, although it won't be difficult to retain starting on 0 stamina in Amateur I don't think, I do think it will be difficult to promote from Rookie with that, depending on the group and risks you use.

With what I said above, starting with such low concentration is always a hassle as really you need to train it first. And to go 2 seasons with no stamina training might be a hindrance, and certainly imo a waste of time when most of the time there are drivers on the market similarly priced with much more starting concentration. The more concentration it starts with, the earlier you can start training stamina and get those serious pace gains.

But finding out the best training path for a driver is imo quite a fun thing to do on this game, so try what you like and learn what you would have done differently if it doesn't go to plan :)

I've had a few project drivers and am always learning to do things differently, even after 30 seasons :)
Jukka Sireni2
(Group Elite)

GPRO Crew
Finland 
Certified: 
Like this post (2)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #208 posted Jun 8th 2017, 14:04:13 Quote 
I would like the talent to be lower, to allow higher other skills. I think for a relatively new manager that would be an easier approach.
Frederik Broux
(Group Master - 5)

Belgium 
Certified: 
Old post #209 posted Jun 8th 2017, 14:16:55 Quote 
Quote ( Jukka Sireni @ June 8th 2017,14:04:13 )

I would like the talent to be lower, to allow higher other skills. I think for a relatively new manager that would be an easier approach.

I agree, something around 110-150 should be enough for amateur.
Mikko Heikkinen
(Group Master - 1)

Finland 
Certified: 
Like this post (4)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #210 posted Jun 8th 2017, 14:19:22 Quote 
Quote ( Josh Clark @ June 8th 2017,14:01:52 )

But finding out the best training path for a driver is imo quite a fun thing to do on this game, so try what you like and learn what you would have done differently if it doesn't go to plan :)

I've had a few project drivers and am always learning to do things differently, even after 30 seasons :)

That indeed is part of the fun

Furthermore, it could be said that there is no single correct way to proceed.
Page « 1 2 3 ... 6 [78 ... 12 13 14 » Quick go to page:
Grand Prix Racing Online Forum > Newbie forum > 'Finding a driver' guide for new players Add this topic to your ignore list Add this topic to your watchlist

Reply to this topic