Page [12 3 ... 7 8 9 » Quick go to page:
Author Topic: Sebastian Vettel 265 replies
Alex Nikodem-Wing
(Group Rookie - 123)

England 
Certified: 
Like this post (10)   Dislike this post (23)
Old post #1 posted Oct 27th 2013, 12:37:39 Quote 
Anyone who has read any of my past threads will have realised 2 things:
I'm not very good at spelling and That I hate Sebastian Vettel. Today he won his Fourth championship in a row ,But does this make him a great driver?

Well I say that he is a good driver in a fantastic team. I think there are better drivers out there than him. But what is your opinion on Sebastian Vettel?
Asim Akram
(Group Amateur - 31)

Scotland 
Certified: 
Like this post (18)   Dislike this post (22)
Old post #2 posted Oct 27th 2013, 12:38:43 Quote 
He is bad for the sport!!!!!

I personally hate him :)
Javier Caceres
(Group Amateur - 86)

Argentina 
Certified: 
Like this post (20)   Dislike this post (14)
Old post #3 posted Oct 27th 2013, 12:41:59 Quote 
IVettel is the best driver of the last 20 years, if you hate vettel dont talk my friend becouse you dont see the reality.
4 world championship!! Only 26 years old!! He will be one of the bigger of f1 history.
Mairo Toom
(Group Amateur - 27)

Estonia 
Certified: 
Like this post (5)   Dislike this post (5)
Old post #4 posted Oct 27th 2013, 12:43:02 Quote 
Quote ( Alex Nikodem-Wing @ October 27th 2013,12:37:39 )

he is a good driver in a fantastic team. I think there are better drivers out there than him.
Josh Anderson
(Group Pro - 3)

England 
Certified: 
Like this post (7)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #5 posted Oct 27th 2013, 12:44:09 Quote 
I'm not a huge Vettel fan, but you've got to admit that he's talented. Yes, he may have the best car, but that's not everything. Take Schumacher from 2010-12: he had a good car, but just not the pace to keep up. And then take Alonso in his Renault days (from 2003-2004): he didn't have the best car but he could still perform will.

It'll be interesting to see if Red Bull and Vettel can hold the championship in 2014 - or whether the change in regulations will hamper them.
Peter Franklin
(Group Rookie - 36)

Australia 
Certified: 
Like this post (1)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #6 posted Oct 27th 2013, 12:44:13 (last edited Oct 27th 2013, 12:46:25 by Peter Franklin) Quote 
/gb/forum/ViewTopic.asp?TopicId=1156
;)

I'm no fan. I would like to see him win titles for another team to tho, to prove its not all the team.
Vinicio Souza
(Group Amateur - 33)

Brazil 
Certified: 
Like this post (3)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #7 posted Oct 27th 2013, 12:44:38 Quote 
I think many do not like him because he wins everything. I'm not a fan of him, but he is a great driver. And together makes it even better!
Jed Lilly
(Group Pro - 14)

England 
Certified: 
Like this post (7)   Dislike this post (1)
Old post #8 posted Oct 27th 2013, 12:46:21 Quote 
Vettel is quite possibly the greatest F1 driver of all time, he has helped develop a strong car but the driver is still important, scoring over double the points of his teammate shows that he is pure class.
Norbert Márfi
(Group Amateur - 8)

Hungary 
Certified: 
Like this post (5)   Dislike this post (4)
Old post #9 posted Oct 27th 2013, 12:46:57 Quote 
Quote ( Asim Akram @ October 27th 2013,12:38:43 )

I personally hate him :)

RESPECT ASIM
Doru Ionut Paraschiv
(Group Pro - 17)

Romania 
Certified: 
Like this post (2)   Dislike this post (5)
Old post #10 posted Oct 27th 2013, 12:48:13 Quote 
I hate this guy(no offense)...but is an awesome driver in a fantastic team....that means and and and and...etc :) .....but in the same time boring....the F1 show was killed by S.V.! ...
Alex Nikodem-Wing
(Group Rookie - 123)

England 
Certified: 
Like this post (4)   Dislike this post (2)
Old post #11 posted Oct 27th 2013, 12:48:37 Quote 
I agree that he is a great driver. But I still don't think he is the best driver in the world.
Jonathan Beagles
(Group Pro - 24)

England 
Certified: 
Like this post (17)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #12 posted Oct 27th 2013, 12:49:27 Quote 
Being realistic about this - he's in the best team on the basis of the form he showed beforehand. Blaming him for that is as pointless as it is to blame Red Bull for making the quickest car!

Is he the greatest driver on the grid? Maybe, maybe not. It's very tough to say as we don't know how strong the machinery the other drivers have is compared to his. We can say conclusively that he's a better driver than Webber, who is no slouch.

We can also say that he's taken his chances - and that's not something you can blame him for either. Hating him is a very unusual reaction; I can understand disliking the domination - but that's not Vettel's fault, it's the fault of Ferrari, Mercedes, Lotus etc who are not developing cars that are competitive enough.

Ultimately - you have to respect winning 4 titles in a row; but to be proven as truly great my opinion is that he needs to win the title in a car that's not the fastest out there. Just like Schumi managed in 1994.
Kevin Lam
(Group Amateur - 7)

Australia 
Certified: 
Old post #13 posted Oct 27th 2013, 12:50:13 Quote 
Well to achieve four consecutive world titles is a great feat. Even having a great car and team is not always a guarantee of a world championship.

And also, RBR is not as strong as the Schumacher/Ferrari days and even during the Prost era. It is essentially perceptions on whether he is great or not, but I personally believe that he is great because to build a great car, you need a driver who knows his technical stuff. More so, winning is a two way street in F1: great machinery (which is also from the team) + great driver
Andy Smith
(Group Amateur - 29)

England 
Certified: 
Like this post (2)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #14 posted Oct 27th 2013, 12:54:18 Quote 
Quote ( Asim Akram @ October 27th 2013,12:38:43 )

why?

he is successful and strives to win in a highly competitive arena. some of what he has done in the past is questionable but that could be put against the fact of what he does and why he does it. I personally don't like seeing the championship monopolised by one driver as it becomes somewhat of a procession, as it was during the Schumacher years. But then why should anyone who is very very good at what he does be branded as bad for the sport they take part in?
Jack Benson
(Group Amateur - 35)

England 
Certified: 
Like this post (2)   Dislike this post (1)
Old post #15 posted Oct 27th 2013, 12:54:26 Quote 
He will be a great if he wins the championship with someone other than Red Bull and a car not designed by Newey.
Fran Betancort
(Group Pro - 22)

Spain 
Certified: 
Like this post (7)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #16 posted Oct 27th 2013, 12:54:53 Quote 
Vettel is great driver. Despite of if he has or not better car than the rest, just need to look at his team mate results to realise that Seb is great driver. He is te best of the grid? Thats imposible to know since the cars are not the same, but for sure he is a great driver who gets 100% of the car and team he has been given.

Congrats to Seb for his 4th consecutive title, wich is something that is not easy to do.
Victor Kamennov
(Group Master - 1)

Russian Federation 
Certified: 
Like this post (2)   Dislike this post (3)
Old post #17 posted Oct 27th 2013, 12:56:56 (last edited Oct 27th 2013, 12:58:26 by Victor Kamennov) Quote 
Personally I hate Vettel, he is not for sport...Adrian Newey and his car won 3 titles of 4 minimally...Vettels Red Bull is great car))
Phil Maunder
(Group Pro - 12)

England 
Certified: 
Like this post (29)   Dislike this post (2)
Old post #18 posted Oct 27th 2013, 12:57:36 (last edited Oct 27th 2013, 13:05:51 by Phil Maunder) Quote 
As a Brit I...

1) - don't have much time for German sportsmen in general due to various world cup incidents & Michael Schumacher taking Damon Hill out in 1994 .... as well as generally being a complete c**t for the rest of his career

2) - I want Lews Hamilton to win more championships

3) - My favourite team is Williams & McLaren

However - I must be the first to say that the criticism of Vettel for dominating is completely unjustified. If any of the people who say, it's boring, I hate him, It's bad for the sport etc... had their favourite driver or team winning then they wouldn't be complaining.

Designing the best car & driving it faster than anyone else can is in the DNA of the sport & nobody should receive criticism when they finally accomplish that. If you find it boring - sod off & watch something else.

And to people who say all the drivers should have equal cars to see who's best etc, or change teams to prove themsleves... I say sod off & watch formula ford or the clio cup or something. There are plenty of racing formulas out there where all the equipment is the same. But there's reasons why not many of them are on TV & reasons why none of the worlds best drivers aspire to race there (or stay there as they progress)

Vettel deserves all the success he's getting, let me be the first to say... even though the sound of the German national anthem still pains me from Schumachers dominance. But that's all my problem, not Vettel's. And hats off to the team for a fantastic job & a fantastic car.... which is another thing really over-hyped. Red Bull is the fastest car but not by as much as everyone is making out. When you get a dominant driver you only have to look at how fast his team mate goes to see what the genuine car advantage is & Mark Webber - a former multiple race winner & championship contender - is still yet to win a race this season & he hasn't dominated the other teams like Vettel has. Yes the Red Bull is the fastest car, but only just. It isn't McLaren dominant like the early 90's, or Williams of 1996, or the Ferrari Schumacher had in early 2000's.

Well done Sebastian Vettel I say - seriously. I hope he stays where he is as I'd enjoy much more watching the other teams / drivers trying to up their game to beat someone rather than just have the sport change cos a few armchair supporters find it boring!
Krasen Belev
(Group Amateur - 19)

Bulgaria 
Certified: 
Old post #19 posted Oct 27th 2013, 13:00:18 Quote 
You can't be the best for 4,5 years and to not be a great driver...He is a real champion,he have the best car,he have the skils,so nothing more to say...
Janne Väänänen
(Group Master - 4)

Finland 
Certified: 
Old post #20 posted Oct 27th 2013, 13:00:22 (last edited Oct 27th 2013, 13:00:55 by Janne Väänänen) Quote 
Quote ( Jonathan Beagles @ October 27th 2013,12:49:27 )

Hating him is a very unusual reaction;

it's actually a very usual reaction from kids and fanboys who see their favorite drivers clearly beaten every single weekend, hands down.

I wouldn't say Vettel definitely would be better in circumstance A or B than say Alonso, Hamilton, Kimi or Button, but in circumstance Red Bull he clearly does a faultless job. Thus his titles are deserved.
Paul Hughes
(Group Amateur - 88)

England 
Certified: 
Like this post (0)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #21 posted Oct 27th 2013, 13:05:51 Quote 
Yep hes a great driver, no doubt about it. He is is also in a great car...Not great enough to make an average Australian ever look like a world champion but still a great car.
Stijn Everaerts
(Group Rookie - 383)

Belgium 
Certified: 
Like this post (2)   Dislike this post (2)
Old post #22 posted Oct 27th 2013, 13:09:45 Quote 
You cvan't win 4 titles if you can't drive.
He didn't need no "Alonso is faster then you" everytime.
He didn't had a Barrichello as teammate who goes from the gas 100m before the finish.
He is fast in one lap, in the race and in overtaking.
So he didn't steal his chamionships.

But 4 times the same champion in a row isn't fun for the fans so hopefully next year there will be a new, other champion....
Cristian Morales
(Group Amateur - 7)

Argentina 
Certified: 
Old post #23 posted Oct 27th 2013, 13:11:10 (last edited Oct 27th 2013, 13:13:50 by Cristian Morales) Quote 
Quote ( Phil Maunder @ October 27th 2013,12:57:36 )

People who say all the drivers should have equal cars to see who's best etc... sod off & watch formula ford or the clio cup or something. There are plenty of racing formulas out there where all the equipment is the same. But there's reasons why not many of them are on TV & reasons why none of the worlds best drivers aspire to race there (or stay there as they progress)
I think it happens because the sponsors can't know if the team is gonna succeed, because a driver can finish 1st a weekend and 17th the rest, so there's less money in play, so there's less famous drivers, so there's no tv coverage and drivers leave fast.

Here in Argentina we have a category that gets pretty aired and it's fun to watch, but mostly it has a bunch of businessmen and some retired footballers who wanted to race when they were young, but for different reasons they couldn't

Related to the subject, I don't think Vettel's the best, but you've got to have some talent to win 4 championships let's say
Phil Maunder
(Group Pro - 12)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #24 posted Oct 27th 2013, 13:20:03 Quote 
Quote ( Cristian Morales @ October 27th 2013,13:11:10 )

I think it happens because the sponsors can't know if the team is gonna succeed, because a driver can finish 1st a weekend and 17th the rest, so there's less money in play, so there's less famous drivers, so there's no tv coverage and drivers leave fast.Here in Argentina we have a category that gets pretty aired and it's fun to watch, but mostly it has a bunch of businessmen and some retired footballers

yea commercially it doesn't really work out as you say. For me I think the reason is it actually goes against what motor racing is about. Motor racing was born out of making cars go as fast as possible, the role of the driver is (& always has been secondary to that core concept) ever since the first ever motor race - 1880 something (Can't remember & I'm not sure anyone really knows). But to me having cars the same to see which driver is the fastest is upside down imo. But I guess we're all different & find different things interesting :)
Adam Wierzba
(Group Pro - 17)

Poland 
Certified: 
Old post #25 posted Oct 27th 2013, 13:22:03 Quote 
Quote ( Alex Nikodem-Wing @ October 27th 2013,12:37:39 )

Well I say that he is a good driver in a fantastic team.

If Ricciardo fights for the title in the next season I'll agree :)
António Pereira
(Group Amateur - 19)

Portugal 
Certified: 
Like this post (1)   Dislike this post (2)
Old post #26 posted Oct 27th 2013, 13:22:46 (last edited Oct 27th 2013, 13:27:09 by António Pereira) Quote 
Quote ( Stijn Everaerts @ October 27th 2013,13:09:45 )

You cvan't win 4 titles if you can't drive.
He didn't had a Barrichello as teammate who goes from the gas 100m before the finish.
He is fast in one lap, in the race and in overtaking.
So he didn't steal his chamionships.

But 4 times the same champion in a row isn't fun for the fans so hopefully next year there will be a new, other champion....

the old same Stijn... go back for your "retirement" status...there is where you belong.
Petrus Taskila
(Group Rookie - 176)

Finland 
Certified: 
Like this post (1)   Dislike this post (2)
Old post #27 posted Oct 27th 2013, 13:29:13 (last edited Oct 27th 2013, 13:31:46 by Petrus Taskila) Quote 
Quote ( Krasen Belev @ October 27th 2013,13:00:18 )

You can't be the best for 4,5 years and to not be a great driver

Of course you can if you had Adrian Newey in your team the whole time. Wake up.

But he is definitely good driver, no doubt about that. Best? Hard to tell. I prefer Raikkonen. Someone else may prefer Alonso or Hamilton. It's all about our personal taste and what affects us. As you see, I prefer Finnish over German and so.. :P But that's not only because he is Finnish just to defend my opinion :)

Quote ( António Pereira @ October 27th 2013,13:22:46 )

Yea, but he had Webber as his teammate who's car is wrecking every race and everyone can clearly see RB invests in Vettel more. As did Ferrari with Alonso.

Or how you can explain that Mark's car has something every race and Seb once in a season? That's not really about drivers skills at the end.
António Pereira
(Group Amateur - 19)

Portugal 
Certified: 
Old post #28 posted Oct 27th 2013, 13:56:34 Quote 
Quote ( Petrus Taskila @ October 27th 2013,13:29:13 )

Yea, but he had Webber as his teammate who's car is wrecking every race and everyone can clearly see RB invests in Vettel more. As did Ferrari with Alonso.

Or how you can explain that Mark's car has something every race and Seb once in a season? That's not really about drivers skills at the end.

it was not me.

I was quoting the "master brain" Stijn...
Jack Jeffree
(Group Rookie - 221)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #29 posted Oct 27th 2013, 13:59:30 Quote 
I'm no fan of him, but you have to admire the achievement and admit he is one of the greats after this achievement.
Sahil Chandnani
(Group Rookie - 268)

Germany 
Certified: 
Like this post (6)   Dislike this post (5)
Old post #30 posted Oct 27th 2013, 14:18:18 Quote 
Vettel is truly a great driver.......
Page [12 3 ... 7 8 9 » Quick go to page:

Reply to this topic