Page [12 » Quick go to page:
Author Topic: Different Race Times 55 replies
Dean Francis
(Group Amateur - 118)

Australia 
Certified: 
Like this post (12)   Dislike this post (15)
Old post #1 posted Aug 9th 2014, 04:03:00 (last edited Aug 9th 2014, 08:30:49 by Kevin Parkinson) Quote 
OK I have found a few topics on changing the race time from 1 to 3 hours but what I suggest is we keep one race the same time and adjust the other to run 12 hours later to what it currently is.

I live in Australia and the race starts here at 4:30am here. I would love to get involved in the team chat during these races but the current time just does not allow that.

I thought I would run a quick poll to see who is in favour of pushing one of these races back 12 hours

Mod edit - Spelling error in title fixed, moved to Suggestion forum, Yes/No poll removed
Kevin Mcferrin
(Group Amateur - 67)

United States 
Certified: 
Like this post (2)   Dislike this post (2)
Old post #2 posted Aug 9th 2014, 04:10:01 Quote 
Quote ( Dean Francis @ August 9th 2014,04:03:00 )

OK I have found a few topics on changing the race time from 1 to 3 hours but what I suggest is we keep one race the same time and adjust the other to run 12 hours later to what it currently is.

And you didn't find a single post suggesting this already?

The race runs in the evening CET because the admins live in (or near) the CET time zone. Running it 12 hours earlier or later means that they have to get up in the wee hours to actually run the jobs that run the race and do the updates. On the other hand, you can watch the race replay whenever you want to. There is absolutely no benefit to watching the race live since you cannot change anything after qualifying closes anyway.
Dean Francis
(Group Amateur - 118)

Australia 
Certified: 
Like this post (4)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #3 posted Aug 9th 2014, 04:18:29 Quote 
I always watch the race replays, I am fine with that but I want to get involved in my team's chat during the race. My team enjoys chatting during the race and with the current race time I cannot join the chat
Andrey Baydin
(Group Amateur - 68)

Russian Federation 
Certified: 
Like this post (1)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #4 posted Aug 9th 2014, 04:23:10 Quote 
Will they be able to join it themselves if the race time is pushed 12 hours later? :)

Anyway, thats what it is, admins cant/dont want to move to Australia just yet, I'm afraid.
Claudio Szynkier
(Group Amateur - 6)

Brazil 
Certified: 
Like this post (2)   Dislike this post (1)
Old post #5 posted Aug 9th 2014, 04:23:43 (last edited Aug 9th 2014, 04:35:38 by Claudio Szynkier) Quote 
it's a fair desire of dean and others. i feel what he says.

and if 4 or 5 friday races per season were advanced not in 12 but in 10 hours behind?

(the central problem would be: admins available; it's not possible without admins watching everything, not only programming earlier. you guys remember ahvenisto s36).
Sean Kendrick Soh
(Group Rookie - 17)

Malaysia 
Certified: 
Old post #6 posted Aug 9th 2014, 04:29:47 Quote 
Although basicly my time zone means I have to watch the race(if I want to) in the wee hours too,it is for the better of the admins. On the other hand, I can just watch the replays and see what happened without having eye-bags.
Shoaib Mohamed
(Group Elite)

India 
Certified: 
Old post #7 posted Aug 9th 2014, 04:30:27 Quote 
If the running of the pre and post race scripts was more automated, we could have had something like this. But unfortunately we don't.

Also I think the admins actually want people to watch the races, for obvious reasons. If it was possible to move around race times, I think they would.
Dean Francis
(Group Amateur - 118)

Australia 
Certified: 
Like this post (2)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #8 posted Aug 9th 2014, 04:32:16 Quote 
Quote ( Andrey Baydin @ August 9th 2014,04:23:10 )

Will they be able to join it themselves if the race time is pushed 12 hours later? :)

In my team we have 6 in the northern hemisphere and 4 in the southern hemisphere. So yes at least us guys in the south can have a good chat. :)

Chris Warren
(Group Amateur - 99)

England 
Certified: 
Like this post (2)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #9 posted Aug 9th 2014, 04:42:56 Quote 
Race time starts at 7pm in UK if I remember right, been a while since I seen a race live myself, if you take 10-12 hours off then the crew who sort the script and updates may be at work, or on their way.
It would be the hours they are working plus the time it takes to get it all updated to sort everything out.
I presume they test the script too, if they run it and go to work and theres a gliche, it can't be sorted until they return.

Thats why I think its the way it is. Would be great if everyone could watch it at a reasonable time but just not possible with all these timezones.
Cale Murray
(Group Pro - 19)

Australia 
Certified: 
Old post #10 posted Aug 9th 2014, 07:49:05 Quote 
If it was put back 12 hours I would still be at work anyway :( atleast this way I can see how I am going before work
Kevin Parkinson
(Group Pro - 22)

GPRO Crew
Scotland 
Certified: 
Like this post (0)   Dislike this post (6)
Old post #11 posted Aug 9th 2014, 08:01:40 Quote 
Yes/no polls are not required and, as you even say yourself, this has been suggested before so really no need for a new thread on it.

Everyone is correct with regard to Admins needing to be available at the time of the race in case of issues
Dean Francis
(Group Amateur - 118)

Australia 
Certified: 
Old post #12 posted Aug 9th 2014, 08:05:53 Quote 
It was suggested by 1 to a maximum of 3 hours but 12 hours was never suggested. The vote was getting interesting and I'm a bit disappointed with it's removal. :(
Kevin Parkinson
(Group Pro - 22)

GPRO Crew
Scotland 
Certified: 
Like this post (1)   Dislike this post (6)
Old post #13 posted Aug 9th 2014, 08:33:16 Quote 
So will we have 24 threads to cover each hour of the day?

This could easily have joined a discussion already out there. Also, yes/no suggestionpolls wwill be removed, as has been the case for a while. If people want a yes/no vote, they can use the thumbs on the suggestion. Ideally, encouraging debate is better.
Jed Lilly
(Group Amateur - 106)

England 
Certified: 
Like this post (3)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #14 posted Aug 9th 2014, 11:10:04 Quote 
Quote ( Dean Francis @ August 9th 2014,08:05:53 )

The vote was getting interesting and I'm a bit disappointed with it's removal. :(

The vote is going to be biased when it's only up for 4 hours of a 24 hour day, the 4 hours this one was up for are ones when everybody in Europe (where most of the players live) is tucked up in bed, even in America it would've been really late. I suspect if the poll had stayed up for an whole 24 hours the "leave it as it is" option would've won by a large margin.
Dean Francis
(Group Amateur - 118)

Australia 
Certified: 
Like this post (1)   Dislike this post (2)
Old post #15 posted Aug 9th 2014, 13:00:00 (last edited Aug 9th 2014, 13:02:01 by Dean Francis) Quote 
Yes Jed that is what I was hoping for but I just wasn't given that chance. :(

Seeing as I am not allowed to have a poll could you please like or dislike my first post. :)
Eric Bolder
(Group Pro - 18)

Netherlands 
Certified: 
Like this post (6)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #16 posted Aug 9th 2014, 13:02:29 (last edited Aug 9th 2014, 13:06:05 by Eric Bolder) Quote 
I would love every racing on a different time depending on which race it is. It would involve more planning :p. And every race would feel like a real race weekend. Sometimes you would have to quali early. Every race other people will be online, adds some variation.
Kevin Parkinson
(Group Pro - 22)

GPRO Crew
Scotland 
Certified: 
Like this post (0)   Dislike this post (1)
Old post #17 posted Aug 9th 2014, 13:06:31 (last edited Aug 9th 2014, 13:08:16 by Kevin Parkinson) Quote 
Quote ( Dean Francis @ August 9th 2014,13:00:00 )

Yes Jed that is what I wantoping for but I just wasn't given that chance. :(

Seeing as I am not allowed to have a poll could you please like or dislike my first post. :)

It's not just you. Any yes/no poll on a suggestion is likely to be deleted as has been the case for a long time now. Nothing against you or what you are suggesting :)

If it was practical to do so, then I'd be for varied start time but the fact the Admins must be available for the race and the point that different length of times between races can cause issues for people remembering, or even being able to qualify, means it has to be a no.
Graham Mercer
(Group Amateur - 74)

Australia 
Certified: 
Old post #18 posted Aug 9th 2014, 14:15:57 (last edited Aug 9th 2014, 14:21:10 by Graham Mercer) Quote 
Quote ( Kevin Mcferrin @ August 9th 2014,04:10:01 )

There is absolutely no benefit to watching the race live

Sorry Kevin but you are wrong on this statement.
There IS an advantage to watching the race live because you can go into team chat and share the event with your team mates, chatting about the race, various strategies, how things are panning out. All good for building/maintaining team cohesiveness.

I also understand the need for admin/staff to be available when the race is run, therefore it needs to be at a time that suits them - no problem with that.
Maik Schesch
(Group Master - 1)

Germany 
Certified: 
Old post #19 posted Aug 9th 2014, 17:21:44 Quote 
One thing in modern F1 I personally miss a lot are those races where you had to get up in the middle of the night to watch. Nowadays it's all shifted so we Europeans hardly ever need to get up before 8 AM to watch an race.

I understand gpro is not F1 .. just dreaming :)
Steven Gaskell
(Group Rookie - 290)

New Zealand 
Certified: 
Old post #20 posted Aug 11th 2014, 11:17:59 Quote 
Quote ( Kevin Parkinson @ August 9th 2014,08:33:16 )

So will we have 24 threads to cover each hour of the day?

That's a bit rude and entirely misses the point of the suggestion. You slam somebody with that and in the same breath say that you want to encourage debate? Right. Sarcastic responses from Joe Public, fine, but Crew should be above that.

The reason for the suggestion, was to try and engender more team cohesiveness for those of us on the upside down side of the world. There are a bunch of us who would watch the race together if it didn't mean getting up at sparrowfart when we're only capable of speaking in ugs and grunts.

I think it's a bloody good idea, but it seems impractical at this stage. Hopefully it keeps reappearing and when things can be more automated it will be revisited!
Kevin Parkinson
(Group Pro - 22)

GPRO Crew
Scotland 
Certified: 
Like this post (0)   Dislike this post (2)
Old post #21 posted Aug 11th 2014, 11:28:31 Quote 
Quote ( Steven Gaskell @ August 11th 2014,11:17:59 )

That's a bit rude and entirely misses the point of the suggestion.

That's not the slightest bit to do with the suggestion! Read the full thing in context and you'll see what I'm actually responding to - this has been suggested before and the post could have been made in an existing thread. The response was about how it was about a different time that previous suggestions, and you've quoted my response. Simply because the previous suggestion threads are not exactly the same (they are apart from the actual times discussed) does not mean they can't be used to further the previous suggestion instead of creating what is really a duplicate suggestion.

With regards to the suggestion, I would support it if it was possible, as I've already mentioned, although the point about time between races would need to be carefully considered if races had different start times, but that could be worked out, I'm sure.

The only issue is that admins must be available, in case there is a problem. I don't doubt it's almost, if not totally, automated already, but if something needs their attention, they need to be there to deal with it straight away to make sure the race goes out on time (remember, the actual running of the race is between end of qualifying and when we actually see it).
Steven Gaskell
(Group Rookie - 290)

New Zealand 
Certified: 
Like this post (1)   Dislike this post (1)
Old post #22 posted Aug 11th 2014, 11:39:06 Quote 
Quote ( Kevin Parkinson @ August 11th 2014,11:28:31 )

That's not the slightest bit to do with the suggestion! Read the full thing in context and you'll see what I'm actually responding to - this has been suggested before and the post could have been made in an existing thread. The response was about how it was about a different time that previous suggestions, and you've quoted my response. Simply because the previous suggestion threads are not exactly the same (they are apart from the actual times discussed) does not mean they can't be used to further the previous suggestion instead of creating what is really a duplicate suggestion.

I did read it completely and in context; I know you were responding to post #12 - there was never any confusion on my part and my point holds.

With regards to the suggestion, I would support it if it was possible, as I've already mentioned, although the point about time between races would need to be carefully considered if races had different start times, but that could be worked out, I'm sure.

The only issue is that admins must be available, in case there is a problem. I don't doubt it's almost, if not totally, automated already, but if something needs their attention, they need to be there to deal with it straight away to make sure the race goes out on time (remember, the actual running of the race is between end of qualifying and when we actually see it).

I know the race isn't done 'live' but basically on delayed feedback. Isn't it the post-race update that is the 'issue' with moving races around?
Christopher Oldham
(Group Rookie - 248)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #23 posted Aug 11th 2014, 11:41:19 (last edited Aug 11th 2014, 11:42:44 by Chris Oldham) Quote 
Why not recruit some more admins in Australia or places around there or the places that have problems and then they can deal with some races?

P.S. Had something else to say but I forgot... :(
Kevin Parkinson
(Group Pro - 22)

GPRO Crew
Scotland 
Certified: 
Old post #24 posted Aug 11th 2014, 11:43:44 (last edited Aug 11th 2014, 11:44:46 by Kevin Parkinson) Quote 
Quote ( Steven Gaskell @ August 11th 2014,11:39:06 )

I did read it completely and in context; I know you were responding to post #12 - there was never any confusion on my part and my point holds.

If you say so. I don't get how you're linking what I've said to missing the point of the suggestion when they aren't related, so I'm confused. Never mind.

I know the race isn't done 'live' but basically on delayed feedback. Isn't it the post-race update that is the 'issue' with moving races around?

It is both. I'm sure the admins need to be around to make sure no issue setting up the race and the same with the post-race update.

---

Quote ( Christopher Oldham @ August 11th 2014,11:41:19 )

Why not recruit some more admins in Australia or places around there or the places that have problems and then they can deal with some races?

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/13/13207377128fd71cd6cf7d4b43f2...
Fran Betancort
(Group Amateur - 66)

Spain 
Certified: 
Old post #25 posted Aug 11th 2014, 11:45:24 Quote 
If Someone who can´t see the race "live" (it´s not really live, server runs the race before and what you see it´s just a graphical representation of it) and are some managers as you say Steven, why don´t you talk between yourselves and meet at certain hour to watch the race and chat? Isn´t it the same?
Christopher Oldham
(Group Rookie - 248)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #26 posted Aug 11th 2014, 11:46:05 Quote 
Quote ( Kevin Parkinson @ August 11th 2014,11:43:44 )

Quote ( Christopher Oldham @ August 11th 2014,11:41:19 )

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/13/13207377128fd71cd6cf7d4b43f2...

Won't let me view it...
Kevin Parkinson
(Group Pro - 22)

GPRO Crew
Scotland 
Certified: 
Old post #27 posted Aug 11th 2014, 11:46:43 Quote 
Was a joke meme. I can't tell if your suggestion was serious or if you were joking. :)
Christopher Oldham
(Group Rookie - 248)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #28 posted Aug 11th 2014, 11:48:06 Quote 
Quote ( Kevin Parkinson @ August 11th 2014,11:46:43 )

Was a joke meme. I can't tell if your suggestion was serious or if you were joking. :)

I wasn't joking. It would make sense though. Have some admin in Asia or something to run some races at different times so this people can stop complaining!
Kevin Parkinson
(Group Pro - 22)

GPRO Crew
Scotland 
Certified: 
Like this post (0)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #29 posted Aug 11th 2014, 11:50:59 (last edited Aug 11th 2014, 11:52:06 by Kevin Parkinson) Quote 
Quote ( Christopher Oldham @ August 11th 2014,11:48:06 )

I wasn't joking. It would make sense though. Have some admin in Asia or something to run some races at different times so this people can stop complaining!

In theory, would be great to have admins in every time zone.

But Vlad and Stefan would need to find someone on the other side of the world to share all the secrets of the game with and teach the full workings of the game to? Not really practical, and then there's the trust/business side of things to consider.
Christopher Oldham
(Group Rookie - 248)

England 
Certified: 
Like this post (0)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #30 posted Aug 11th 2014, 11:52:25 Quote 
Quote ( Kevin Parkinson @ August 11th 2014,11:50:59 )

Quote ( Christopher Oldham @ August 11th 2014,11:48:06 )

So Vlad and Stefan would need to find someone on the other side of the world to share all the secrets of the game with and teach the full workings of the game to? Not really practical, and then there's the trust/business side of things to consider.

Asked them if they know anyone in Australia or something? It would be a perfect solution to make this game more global.
Page [12 » Quick go to page:

Reply to this topic