Grand Prix Racing Online Forum > Forum games > GPRO World Cup S1 - Germany win! Add this topic to your ignore list Add this topic to your watchlist
Page [12 3 ... 9 10 11 » Quick go to page:
Author Topic: GPRO World Cup S1 - Germany win! 308 replies
Jasper Coosemans1
(Group Master - 2)

Topic mod
Belgium 
Certified: 
Like this post (13)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #1 posted Jun 2nd 2019, 21:16:37 (last edited Sep 13th 2019, 11:53:41 by Jasper Coosemans) Quote 
The GPRO World Cup

This post is an introduction to the World Cup. For current affairs and things to do, see the following post.

Tournament for national teams

The GPRO World Cup strives to find the strongest nation in Grand Prix Racing Online. The intention of this tournament is to have a balanced competition where larger and smaller nations can compete on an equal level. The first edition will kick off in Season 71.

Competition format

The World Cup lasts for one GPRO season. A national team consists of 6 permanent managers who are in the team throughout the whole season, plus 2 managers that can be changed at certain times. Every race, managers contribute points to their team if they finish their race in the top 8. The higher the manager's group, the more points they contribute.

From Race 1 to Race 5, a ranking of all nations is made. The top 16 nations will then advance to the knock-out stage, which follows the same format as the GPRO cup.

Website

The whole World Cup is run on an external website. Logging in to this website is possible only if you are logged in to GPRO. You can then access the site through this link: /ExternalLink.asp?destination=GPROWorldCup

If you want to participate in the World Cup in any way, you have to register with 1 click! This is just so you agree to saving your name in the World Cup database. The registration link will be very visible the first time you log in to the website.

More information

Please read the full rules on the Rules page of the World Cup website.

Credit to Christian Beaulieu for the initial idea /gb/forum/ViewTopic.asp?TopicId=27082
Jasper Coosemans1
(Group Master - 2)

Topic mod
Belgium 
Certified: 
Like this post (0)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #2 posted Jun 2nd 2019, 21:24:55 (last edited Aug 24th 2019, 01:05:59 by Jasper Coosemans) Quote 
GERMANY WIN FIRST GPRO WORLD CUP

https://worldcup.cani-malati.com/index.php?area=results&season=71

The inaugural edition of the GPRO World Cup has come to a close tonight. The rain at Yas Marina, combined with the fact that the season is over and some managers are limping home in worn cars, has perhaps had an impact on the final match between Germany and England, which ended with relatively low scores.

The German team have won it though, and by a significant margin: 22.6 - 12.6. This seals the match at Germany 2, England 1.

Congratulations Germany, you are the best GPRO nation of Season 71!

Well done to the captain of the German team, Jan Velske.

Let's congratulate the Mannschaft that can call itself World Champions:

Felix Horch
Klaus Niester
Chris Heidrich
Thomas Geißler
Christian Bernhard
Andreas Haendel
Lisa Peterson
Alexander Hoppe
Andreas Engelhardt
Joachim Rang
Mike Roell

https://worldcup.cani-malati.com/index.php?area=results&...

Team Captain elections are opened

Race 12 marks the start of the Team Captain elections for next season. Team Captain terms last for two seasons, so the ones that are currently in place will star on for next season as well (unless you let me know you want to retire).

However, candidates for new countries can enter now!

My country isn't active yet

Check the status of your country by visiting the 'My team' page on the World Cup website /ExternalLink.asp?destination=GPROWorldCup

If there is no Team Captain yet, this is your chance to lead your nation to glory! Just contact me and I will make you Team Captain, so you can start collecting people from your country to form a team.

My country is too small

It is still possible to merge your nation with other small nations, but please help me out and be proactive. You need to find a manager from another nation who agrees to merge with you. As soon as I get confirmation from both nations, I will set the merger up.
Jasper Coosemans1
(Group Master - 2)

Topic mod
Belgium 
Certified: 
Old post #3 posted Jun 2nd 2019, 21:24:59 Quote 
or two
Jonathan Beagles
(Group Amateur - 59)

England 
Certified: 
Like this post (2)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #4 posted Jun 2nd 2019, 21:39:18 Quote 
Quote ( Jasper Coosemans @ June 2nd 2019,21:16:37 )

How many managers should be competing per country?

I think your choice of 11 is a good one. Keeps the World Cup theme strong - plus it's a good number to ensure that most countries will have to look as far down as Pro for decent managers.

Is it good to have 1 reserve, or should there be more, or none at all?

I like the reserve concept - for me I think you should be allowed up to 3 reserves, and you can choose 1 of them each race to get into the line-up of 11. So you have to keep the same 10 managers all season, but you can rotate who the 11th one is

Should there be a limit on the number of managers from Elite/Master/Pro?

Not a bad idea...or if you want to make sure that the smaller countries have a chance, then maybe having min. 1 Rookie, 1 Ama, 1 Pro in the ranks, then maybe max. 3 Elite, max 3 Master?

What about the competition format and the points system?

I like the format and points you suggested in your link - reckon it would work well

I may also allow small countries to merge in case they both have less than 11 active managers, would anyone be opposed to that?

Not a bad idea...but maybe they have to merge with countries that are geographically similar (i.e. same continent) so you don't get ridiculously random combinations going on, plus that would make naming conventions easier too...

Just my 2 cents; and I'd be up for having a crack at being England Team Captain - but don't mind if someone higher up the ranks (e.g. Robin) wants to have a go at it :)
Rowie Halcon
(Group Amateur - 40)

Philippines 
Certified: 
Old post #5 posted Jun 2nd 2019, 23:01:13 Quote 
I wonder how many active managers in my country are willing to join?
Jasper Coosemans1
(Group Master - 2)

Topic mod
Belgium 
Certified: 
Old post #6 posted Jun 3rd 2019, 02:48:30 Quote 
Quote ( Rowie Halcon @ June 2nd 2019,23:01:13 )

The minimum requirement for a country to enter the competition is that there is one manager who takes the initiative to be Team Captain and submits his team before the deadline for Race 1. The other managers in the team technically don't even need to know that they have been entered into this competition, but of course you will have more fun if you have an active team.
Shannon Fuerte
(Group Rookie - 12)

United States 
Certified: 
Old post #7 posted Jun 3rd 2019, 02:59:00 Quote 
Quote ( Jasper Coosemans @ June 3rd 2019,02:48:30 )

Quote ( Rowie Halcon @ June 2nd 2019,23:01:13 )

The minimum requirement for a country to enter the competition is that there is one manager who takes the initiative to be Team Captain and submits his team before the deadline for Race 1. The other managers in the team technically don't even need to know that they have been entered into this competition, but of course you will have more fun if you have an active team.

To this I ask: If we are active, and wish to participate for another country, can we do so?
Florencia Caro
(Group Pro - 18)

GPRO Crew
Argentina 
Certified: 
Like this post (1)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #8 posted Jun 3rd 2019, 03:46:57 Quote 
Quote ( Shannon Fuerte @ June 3rd 2019,02:59:00 )

To this I ask: If we are active, and wish to participate for another country, can we do so?

Good question

A manager, IMHO, shouldn't represent, for this game purposes, a country he/she is not representing at GPRO. So I suggest Jasper to include that in the rules.
Gabriel Arbona
(Group Master - 4)

Argentina 
Certified: 
Old post #9 posted Jun 3rd 2019, 05:12:51 Quote 
If you can only form a team with 11 managers representing a country, but there are many more competitive and active managers with the intention of participating, then how is that solved? or is there no place for them?
Jasper Coosemans1
(Group Master - 2)

Topic mod
Belgium 
Certified: 
Old post #10 posted Jun 3rd 2019, 13:06:14 Quote 
Quote ( Shannon Fuerte @ June 3rd 2019,02:59:00 )

No. Allowing this would open up a loophole that can be exploited (countries picking good managers that are not even from that country). There has to be a clear definition of what is and isn't allowed, and that is that you can only compete for the country indicated in your GPRO profile.

If you have a link with a different country (for example because you have your roots there or you moved there), you can ask the GPRO crew to change your profile so it shows that country.

Quote ( Gabriel Arbona @ June 3rd 2019,05:12:51 )

If you can only form a team with 11 managers representing a country, but there are many more competitive and active managers with the intention of participating, then how is that solved? or is there no place for them?

Unfortunately the consequence of trying to give an equal chance to large countries and small/medium countries is that many managers from a large country will be left out. In a large country you will have to prove that you will perform very well in order to be considered. Just like you have to be a really good football player if you are Brazilian and want to make the national team.

I might consider allowing a country to enter a B team with certain restrictions (e.g. no Elite/Master players). That could be something for a later edition of the World Cup. Next season I would like to just allow 1 team per country and see how it goes, to make sure I can handle it. :)
Dominik Karda
(Group Pro - 21)

Czech Republic 
Certified: 
Old post #11 posted Jun 3rd 2019, 14:06:09 (last edited Jun 3rd 2019, 14:06:24 by Dominik Karda) Quote 

I may also allow small countries to merge in case they both have less than 11 active managers, would anyone be opposed to that?
If so, are the multiple countries going to be related by its location (so multiple countries from Asia, Africa... and so on)?
Jasper Coosemans1
(Group Master - 2)

Topic mod
Belgium 
Certified: 
Old post #12 posted Jun 3rd 2019, 16:03:38 (last edited Jun 5th 2019, 00:54:59 by Jasper Coosemans) Quote 
I added rules for merging countries, check them out here (bottom of the Rules page): /ExternalLink.asp?destination=GPROWorldCup

If a merger consists of neighbouring countries, that would be nice, but I don't see how this could be enforced strictly (what to do with Andorra that has no small neighbours?). So the only strict requirement is that countries must be from the same continent.

And I don't intend to have discussions about whether (for example) Honduras and Trinidad are in the same continent or not, I think we can all agree to be flexible here. Same goes for islands in the Pacific (I don't care if they are considered to be in Asia or Oceania).
Florencia Caro
(Group Pro - 18)

GPRO Crew
Argentina 
Certified: 
Old post #13 posted Jun 3rd 2019, 20:59:55 Quote 
Quote ( Jasper Coosemans @ June 3rd 2019,16:03:38 )

(what to do with Andorra that has no small neighbours?)

There's a high chance close to 100% of the managers playing under Andorran flag are not from Andorra/even live in Andorra... so I do not see a problem there. They explicitly chose to represent Andorra.
Jasper Coosemans1
(Group Master - 2)

Topic mod
Belgium 
Certified: 
Old post #14 posted Jun 3rd 2019, 21:32:39 Quote 
I know, but if any of those managers is actually interested in this, they may want to seek a merger, and they should be allowed to. It was just an example.

An update from my side: I've done a little work on the back-end infrastructure. Vlad has been so kind to enable an EBG-style login for the World Cup website, so it will be possible for Team Captains to organise their team directly on the website without the hassle of registering accounts.

I'm pushing to have everything ready for a beta run at the end of this season, as outlined in the opening post of this topic. The beta run will just be a few races with a single ranking; the goal is to test Team Captain tools and the database routines.

In the next few days I will also begin the election process for Team Captains for the first real edition of the World Cup. So please start spreading the word in your country!
Florencia Caro
(Group Pro - 18)

GPRO Crew
Argentina 
Certified: 
Old post #15 posted Jun 3rd 2019, 21:45:57 Quote 
Quote ( Jasper Coosemans @ June 3rd 2019,21:32:39 )

Vlad has been so kind to enable an EBG-style login for the World Cup website, so it will be possible for Team Captains to organise their team directly on the website without the hassle of registering accounts.

Looks like this is taking shape :), good move ;D
Marcelo Nobre
(Group Rookie - 168)

Brazil 
Certified: 
Old post #16 posted Jun 3rd 2019, 23:32:00 Quote 
I like the idea of ​​a World Cup. Instead of a captain selecting ten players, what about the idea of ​​using the GPro's own ranking until the fifth race of the season to choose the top 10 drivers of each nation, regardless of level? That would be fair and really the best ones at the moment would compete.
Jasper Coosemans1
(Group Master - 2)

Topic mod
Belgium 
Certified: 
Old post #17 posted Jun 3rd 2019, 23:32:23 Quote 
@Jonathan Beagles (A59) Thank you for your input. I did not ignore it, I just wanted to see if anyone else would join in and have something to say about some of the things you mentioned.

I think your idea for more reserves is a good one. It allows countries to rely less on managers that consistently do well every race, and make more use of managers that push the occasional race. I think balancing the two is a good thing.

About tier limits I am still unsure. But I will explain why I did not include them initially. It's basically because I don't think there is a real need for it with the proposed points system. In this system, it is better to score 50 points in Pro than 20 points in Elite. And there are many more managers scoring 50 in Pro than there are scoring 20 in Elite.

Of course, adding more possibilities to rotate the team line-up race by race might make it more useful to include Elite managers in the team.

I am reluctant to force countries to include Rookie managers because I do not want to encourage Super Rookies. Which brings me to another question: should managers be docked some of their contributed points if they end the season with a negative balance?
George Slater4
(Group Master - 1)

Canada 
Certified: 
Old post #18 posted Jun 3rd 2019, 23:57:55 Quote 
Quote ( Jasper Coosemans @ June 3rd 2019,23:32:23 )

Which brings me to another question: should managers be docked some of their contributed points if they end the season with a negative balance?

I don't know how that would work in an elimination-style format. If it resulted in a different outcome for the first elimination round it could suddenly change the entire season's results.
Jonathan Beagles
(Group Amateur - 59)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #19 posted Jun 4th 2019, 00:32:47 Quote 

@Jonathan Beagles (A59) Thank you for your input. I did not ignore it, I just wanted to see if anyone else would join in and have something to say about some of the things you mentioned.

I think your idea for more reserves is a good one. It allows countries to rely less on managers that consistently do well every race, and make more use of managers that push the occasional race. I think balancing the two is a good thing

All good :) And glad I could be of help.

About tier limits I am still unsure. But I will explain why I did not include them initially. It's basically because I don't think there is a real need for it with the proposed points system. In this system, it is better to score 50 points in Pro than 20 points in Elite. And there are many more managers scoring 50 in Pro than there are scoring 20 in Elite.

Of course, adding more possibilities to rotate the team line-up race by race might make it more useful to include Elite managers in the team.

I am reluctant to force countries to include Rookie managers because I do not want to encourage Super Rookies.

Fair point RE tier limits - and Super Rookies are indeed an issue. Maybe leave Rookies out of the game as standard then? Ama and above only, then the problem is gone...though that then is likely to affect smaller countries' choice of manager.

As for negative balance - I agree there should be a penalty, and I agree with George's point about it being difficult to enforce in an elimination-style format. I suggest the penalty should be applied in the subsequent season - and furthermore I reckon the penalty should be docking a team member for the group stage (so the team only has 10 representatives). If that's too harsh then just the 1st race of it.
Jasper Coosemans1
(Group Master - 2)

Topic mod
Belgium 
Certified: 
Old post #20 posted Jun 5th 2019, 00:12:40 Quote 
/ExternalLink.asp?destination=GPROWorldCup

The first bits of the site are taking shape. I know the lay-out is terrible, but that's just at the bottom of my priorities right now, so please bear with me. :)

If you want to be involved in the World Cup at all (either as a Team Captain, a player or even just to vote for a Team Caption), you will have to 'register' on the site. This takes just a single click which will be easy to find.

You may start doing so, because having some nations and managers in the list will help me to develop the site further.

Elections for the first edition coming soon...
Eduardo Sanchez Carenzo
(Group Pro - 1)

Mexico 
Certified: 
Old post #21 posted Jun 5th 2019, 02:58:54 Quote 
Here comes my greatest concern,and it is basically the same as what happened in the platinum cup.

Small countries in general will not have a great amount of managers in Master or Above,while some countries will have enough players in those leagues to fill out two teams.

Yes it can be discussed that the cup has to be inclusivea nd include managers fromall ranks but three is not enough to offset countries that have a higher number of players in higher leagues.

Specially if you consider that those managers do not even have to join, they just have to be selected.

2 points =
1st place in Rookie
P15 in Ama
P20 in Pro
P22.5 in Master (Yes I know there is no P22 is more than 2 points)
P24 in Elite

Unless there is some math to help balance that I will still be mostly a repeat of the current nations cup.

Jasper Coosemans1
(Group Master - 2)

Topic mod
Belgium 
Certified: 
Old post #22 posted Jun 5th 2019, 03:04:53 Quote 
Perhaps read the rules first and then make comments about the math. :p

The proposed points system is the one used in GPRO's nations trophy. You have to finish in the top 8 of your group in order to score points, not the top 30. So it won't help to have a lot of managers who get regular P10-15 finishes in Elite/Master.
Eduardo Sanchez Carenzo
(Group Pro - 1)

Mexico 
Certified: 
Old post #23 posted Jun 5th 2019, 03:18:30 Quote 
It is basically the same(only that it would be foolish to put so many elite in there).

As an example

Top 10 Mexico Scorers (out of 44 active but only half scoring points) have 118.6 points
Top 3 Brazilians have 115.2 points

Yes I know randoms happen and that can upset a cup, but countries with higher number of participants have a better chance of using scoring managers and if you add higher leagues it will stilll be close to the nations cup

Jasper Coosemans1
(Group Master - 2)

Topic mod
Belgium 
Certified: 
Old post #24 posted Jun 5th 2019, 03:31:51 Quote 
Mexico does not even have any managers in Elite or Master. Of course they will struggle to win a tournament for nations, why should it be different?
Eduardo Sanchez Carenzo
(Group Pro - 1)

Mexico 
Certified: 
Old post #25 posted Jun 5th 2019, 04:56:01 Quote 
Quote ( Jasper Coosemans @ June 5th 2019,03:31:51 )

Mexico does not even have any managers in Elite or Master. Of course they will struggle to win a tournament for nations, why should it be different?

So where is the opportunity for smaller nations that don't have managers in Master or Elite.

Time wull tell but IMHO it will be basocally a repetition of the current nations Knoocout cup with maybe one or two changes and not a chance for smaller countries as you stated
Jasper Coosemans1
(Group Master - 2)

Topic mod
Belgium 
Certified: 
Old post #26 posted Jun 5th 2019, 12:10:20 Quote 
Quote ( Eduardo Sanchez Carenzo @ June 5th 2019,04:56:01 )

So where is the opportunity for smaller nations that don't have managers in Master or Elite.

Is there something about being from a small country that prevents you from going to Master? There are smaller countries than Mexico that do have presence in Elite and/or Master. So to me it looks like even for its size, Mexico is just not doing very well at the moment.

Besides, the majority of top performers in this points system (looking at the top 10 per country) are from Amateur. Much of a nation's success will depend on the ability to know before the season starts who will be their best performing managers.
Jonathan Beagles
(Group Amateur - 59)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #27 posted Jun 5th 2019, 20:21:13 Quote 
The difference with this competition (as Jasper says) is that the best performing 10 managers from e.g. Brazil might beat everyone. But will the Team Captain work out those 10 before the season starts? Chances are they will get some of them - but not necessarily all of them!

That's where smaller teams have the advantage as it is easier to PM e.g. 15 people to work out who will push that season vs e.g. Brazil or England where you have thousands to choose from...
Dominik Karda
(Group Pro - 21)

Czech Republic 
Certified: 
Old post #28 posted Jun 5th 2019, 20:32:58 Quote 
I wouldn't like to be the team captain of England considering it's a world cup :P
Jonathan Beagles
(Group Amateur - 59)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #29 posted Jun 5th 2019, 20:33:53 (last edited Jun 5th 2019, 20:34:04 by Jonathan Beagles) Quote 
Quote ( Dominik Karda @ June 5th 2019,20:32:58 )

I wouldn't like to be the team captain of England considering it's a world cup :P

Semi-Finals last time mate :P
Mike Bennett
(Group Amateur - 26)

England 
Certified: 
Like this post (0)   Dislike this post (1)
Old post #30 posted Jun 6th 2019, 01:50:38 (last edited Jun 6th 2019, 01:51:22 by Mike Bennett) Quote 
A manager who wants to become his country's Team Captain must announce his/her candidacy in the GPRO World Cup thread. This must be done between the start of Race 12 and the start of Race 16 prior to the end of the current TC's term.

I would like to announce my candidacy as team captain for the UK , or England !
Page [12 3 ... 9 10 11 » Quick go to page:
Grand Prix Racing Online Forum > Forum games > GPRO World Cup S1 - Germany win! Add this topic to your ignore list Add this topic to your watchlist

Reply to this topic