Grand Prix Racing Online Forum > Suggestions forum > "Silly" Games Forum - Change the perception... Aggiungi questa discussione alla tua lista da ignorare Aggiungi questa discussione alla tua lista da tenere d'occhio
Pagina « 1 2 [34 5 » Vai alla pagina:
Autore Topic: "Silly" Games Forum - Change the perception... 136 risposte
Jonathan Beagles
(Gruppo Amateur - 7)

N° post: 6126
  Nazione:
Inghilterra 
Certificato: 
Post apprezzato (0)   Post sgradito (0)
Vecchio Post #61 Data 22 Ott 2020, 20:21:27 Quota 

Quote ( Thijs Rieken @ October 22nd 2020,07:42:07 )

How about this one:

https://www.teestory.in/image/cache/catalog/09%20stickers/ST...

Lol love it :)

Quote ( Thijs Rieken @ October 22nd 2020,07:42:07 )

Also, can we make a stamp for games that want to be called "Silly"?

I think it's pretty unlikely most Silly Games creators would actually want that...but I 100% endorse anyone who does embedding the image you have suggested here to show that :P
Joachim Rang2
(Gruppo Elite)

N° post: 316
  Nazione:
Germania 
Certificato: 
Post apprezzato (17)   Post sgradito (0)
Vecchio Post #62 Data 22 Ott 2020, 20:30:39 (Ultima modifica 22 Ott 2020, 20:33:25 da Joachim Rang) Quota 
Pfff... what a shame to rename something as beautiful and colourful as "silly games" into "forum games"... :-(
Michael Keeney
(Gruppo Pro - 24)

N° post: 13519
  Nazione:
Inghilterra 
Certificato: 
Post apprezzato (7)   Post sgradito (1)
Vecchio Post #63 Data 22 Ott 2020, 20:46:05 Quota 
This is the biggest pile of s*** i've seen change in this game in 11 years.

No it is not up for discussion.

Wow
Jonathan Beagles
(Gruppo Amateur - 7)

Nazione:
Inghilterra 
Certificato: 
Post apprezzato (1)   Post sgradito (1)
Vecchio Post #64 Data 22 Ott 2020, 22:13:54 Quota 
According to a forum search...

Quote ( Joachim Rang @ October 22nd 2020,20:30:39 )

Pfff... what a shame to rename something as beautiful and colourful as "silly games" into "forum games"... :-(

You last posted in Forum Games on May 12th 2020...

Quote ( Michael Keeney @ October 22nd 2020,20:46:05 )

This is the biggest pile of s*** i've seen change in this game in 11 years.

No it is not up for discussion.

Wow

And for you it's November 2018.

Money where your mouth is gents. If you thought the SG Forum was so good, why weren't you using it?
Rafael Mantovani
(Gruppo Pro - 17)

N° post: 8206
  Nazione:
Brasile 
Certificato: 
Post apprezzato (2)   Post sgradito (0)
Vecchio Post #65 Data 22 Ott 2020, 22:20:16 Quota 
being a former (and now occasional) player and former game host, it's a welcome change!

hats off, mr Beagles :)
Jay De Snoo
(Gruppo Pro - 11)

N° post: 928
  Nazione:
Paesi Bassi 
Certificato: 
Vecchio Post #66 Data 22 Ott 2020, 22:23:19 Quota 

Quote ( Joachim Rang @ October 22nd 2020,20:30:39 )

I think we should rename 'rookie' too. The perception is these are starters in GPRO, but includes former of all levels... So 'advancing' maybe?

:S
Jun Ho
(Gruppo Amateur - 78)

N° post: 8525
  Nazione:
Hong Kong 
Certificato: 
Post apprezzato (4)   Post sgradito (0)
Vecchio Post #67 Data 23 Ott 2020, 00:04:15 Quota 
Love it that the people supporting the change are regular forum games hosts and players, whereas the people annoyed by the change are people who have probably never played a "silly game" in their life.

Why complain about something that you have never touched, yet don't have your say when the change was being discussed? Typical. I hope you all never touch the forum games scene.
Jasper Coosemans1
(Gruppo Elite)

N° post: 3021
  Nazione:
Belgio 
Certificato: 
Post apprezzato (1)   Post sgradito (0)
Vecchio Post #68 Data 23 Ott 2020, 00:26:27 Quota 
I think posts like that are a more real problem for how the silly games are perceived by the wide audience than them being named silly.
Daryl Gee
(Gruppo Rookie - 91)

N° post: 4864
  Nazione:
Sudafrica 
Certificato: 
Vecchio Post #69 Data 23 Ott 2020, 00:31:01 Quota 
Whatever.

I'm still going to be silly.
Jun Ho
(Gruppo Amateur - 78)

Nazione:
Hong Kong 
Certificato: 
Vecchio Post #70 Data 23 Ott 2020, 00:32:15 (Ultima modifica 23 Ott 2020, 00:33:00 da Jun Ho) Quota 
Quote ( Jasper Coosemans @ October 23rd 2020,00:26:27 )

I think posts like that are a more real problem for how the silly games are perceived by the wide audience than them being named silly.

It's all fine if they come and explain why the phrase "silly games" is much better than "forum games", but to post comments like Keeney is not something you should be doing to put your word out. Just calling something shit is not constructive nor it's feedback.

I wouldn't have posted what I did if the former was taken, and people actually left feedback as to why they don't like the change.

Quote ( Daryl Gee @ October 23rd 2020,00:31:01 )

Whatever.

I'm still going to be silly.

You are always an SYNT in our eyes Drayl. :)
Joachim Rang2
(Gruppo Elite)

N° post: 316
  Nazione:
Germania 
Certificato: 
Vecchio Post #71 Data 23 Ott 2020, 00:38:07 Quota 
Come on guys, this thread was a few days active before the change was decided. No proper poll or dicussion or anything, I just missed it until the official announcement.

And yes I'm not a regular user of the silly games forum I admit that, but I played there in the past and I might play there again, different times, different priorities.

For me silly games was always something, which made GPRO special, where do you find a browser game, which has a dedicated forum section just for "silly games" eh?

I find your initiative to make the silly game section more fun totally worthwhile and cool @Jonathan Beagles (A7) and I support everything, which makes it more rewarding, fun and better. I just happen to disagree that changing "silly games" into "forum games" is such a great advancement of your cause. It's like Monty Python renaming its Ministry of silly walks into Ministry of serious walks. What was super-fun and outstanding suddenly becomes super boring and mundane. That's all.

But if the hosts of the silly games, pardon, forum games all agree, who am I to disagree?
Jonathan Beagles
(Gruppo Amateur - 7)

Nazione:
Inghilterra 
Certificato: 
Vecchio Post #72 Data 23 Ott 2020, 00:43:48 Quota 
I can't see the name change having an adverse effect though Joachim...it's not like people that are currently playing the games are going to decide not to play them because the forum changed name.

So worst scenario is surely that this does no harm.

Best case scenario is that people may find it more appealing...I do hasten to add that my intention with this thread was to provoke a discussion. I never actually asked for anything to be changed because of this thread only and while I'm glad of the change, I never actually expected it to be done quite so quickly!

All of the above said though, I think this change PLUS the verification (or whatever we call it) of Forum Games moving forwards are positive changes.
Josh Clark
(Gruppo Master - 4)

N° post: 6667
  Nazione:
Inghilterra 
Certificato: 
Vecchio Post #73 Data 23 Ott 2020, 00:44:33 Quota 
Quote ( Joachim Rang @ October 23rd 2020,00:38:07 )

super-fun and outstanding

You get that excited by the word "silly"?

The hell is wrong with you :P
Stuart Foster
(Gruppo Amateur - 49)

N° post: 12459
  Nazione:
Inghilterra 
Certificato: 
Vecchio Post #74 Data 23 Ott 2020, 00:58:34 Quota 
Quote ( Jonathan Beagles @ October 23rd 2020,00:43:48 )

PLUS the verification (or whatever we call it)

I think the badge should be Gold and have the word "Gold" in the middle. Gold Forum game. thoughts JB?
James Hitchen
(Gruppo Amateur - 50)

N° post: 592
  Nazione:
Inghilterra 
Certificato: 
Vecchio Post #75 Data 23 Ott 2020, 01:02:00 Quota 
Quick question, why is this a big deal?

From reading the thread what I gather is people who play forum games asked for a minor name change, criticism has came from people with little involvement in that side of the game. Call it ‘Ahmet’s left arse cheek‘ or ‘Luke Frosts shoulder click’ and it would make no impact on my life and I’m struggling to grasp why people have an issue with a change to a more appropriate name?
Jonathan Beagles
(Gruppo Amateur - 7)

Nazione:
Inghilterra 
Certificato: 
Vecchio Post #76 Data 23 Ott 2020, 01:07:24 Quota 
Quote ( Stuart Foster @ October 23rd 2020,00:58:34 )

Gold Forum game. thoughts JB?

Added to the poll :) Definitely a possibility.

Quote ( James Hitchen @ October 23rd 2020,01:02:00 )

Ahmet’s left arse cheek

My next suggestion is to rename the Newbie forum to this :P
Michael Keeney
(Gruppo Pro - 24)

Nazione:
Inghilterra 
Certificato: 
Vecchio Post #77 Data 23 Ott 2020, 01:20:09 Quota 
They're silly games, Leave them as silly games. This game was setup like 12-13 years ago.

You're taking something that was original and quintessentially gpro.

You're right ive never played the silly games really, not my cup of tea. I'm certain some of them are very fun and might be why some people even still race here.

However if they were to change American football to say American rugby or football rugby, rugby football. Something more apt. How would you feel?

We are currently in this real weird point in life where essentially life as we know it will not be the same again. I am all for the following types of changes that are currently occurring involving blm, lgbt rights, equality, diversity, metoo etc. These are things that are huge steps forward in society.

However something like this is just changing for change sake.

I just dont buy into it. Some things can be happily left alone and in my opinion this was one of them.

Can you imagine what the same co-hort of people would say if you were to suggest changing the points system in the game? There would be uproar.

Anyway. I really cannot be bothered to talk about this anymore. Im glad the ones that campaigned got what they wanted.

Have a nice evening all.
Jasper Coosemans1
(Gruppo Elite)

N° post: 3021
  Nazione:
Belgio 
Certificato: 
Post apprezzato (5)   Post sgradito (0)
Vecchio Post #78 Data 23 Ott 2020, 01:24:54 Quota 
Quote ( James Hitchen @ October 23rd 2020,01:02:00 )

Quick question, why is this a big deal?

It's not. That's why most people didn't immediately push back on it.

I think it's a really stupid change where a comical name has been reduced to blandness, in order to fix an entirely imaginary problem. But I don't really care.

By the way, this whole idea that the actual silly game players are in favour of the change, and all those who are opposed are not silly game players, is A) untrue (see Cameron's posts) and B) an ad hominem attack that is not helpful for this discussion. Let's not get stuck in that narrative.
Andre de Carvalho
(Gruppo Amateur - 75)

N° post: 447
  Nazione:
Brasile 
Certificato: 
Vecchio Post #79 Data 23 Ott 2020, 01:37:02 Quota 
I didn't like it. Not gonna make a fuss about it, just sounds grey. 'Silly' is such a great and unique word. I'm fairly new to GPRO and i remember laughing when i saw the name 'silly games' for the first time. Why would i ever want to be taken seriously when i'm just having a good time? And i am a regular silly gamer, i will be a silly gamer forever.

Again, no big deal, but we killed the poetry and replaced it by literal language. Not fun imo.
Jonathan Beagles
(Gruppo Amateur - 7)

Nazione:
Inghilterra 
Certificato: 
Vecchio Post #80 Data 23 Ott 2020, 01:39:11 Quota 
Quote ( Michael Keeney @ October 23rd 2020,01:20:09 )

They're silly games

And therein lies the perception issue.

They are absolutely and categorically not. No more than GPRO is.

Look at URM and the time/effort Seb takes with that, with a format that is practically identical to GPRO and explain to me how that is "silly" while GPRO is not. It all comes down to how something is first seen/described - note that in the GPRO desciption the focus is on motorsports, strategy, competition...

"Do you like motor racing? If yes, then Grand Prix Racing Online is the game for you!
Manage your grand prix team to success by building good cars, developing good race strategies, hiring the right drivers and staff and planning for the future. But all must be done within the limits of your financial and worktime budget and with the fierce competition breathing down your neck!"

...no mention of it being "silly", "trivial" or anything that is irrelevant to what is actually being played.

However if they were to change American football to say American rugby or football rugby, rugby football. Something more apt. How would you feel?

Fine actually - from a British perspective I'd love them to lose the word "football" from that game and come up with their own word as they barely use their feet to kick the ball! It's misleading, so I'll get right on getting them to change that :P

Can you imagine what the same co-hort of people would say if you were to suggest changing the points system in the game? There would be uproar.

Let's compare like for like - the equivalent of this is not changing the points system, it would be changing the word points to "scores" or something. Not that you would do that because points (unlike "silly") is an accurate description.

However something like this is just changing for change sake.

Worst case scenario - it does no harm.

Best case scenario - it has a positive effect and removes a potentially negative connotation thereby encouraging more participation and more players staying for longer on the forums.

Anyway. I really cannot be bothered to talk about this anymore.

I really can. Because I really do care about this, given how much of my time (and the time of others) is dedicated to making that part of the forum as great as possible - just like the others who have voiced their opinions to support the ideas here. Note that the OP has 20 thumbs up and just 1 thumbs down at the time of writing btw...!
Xavier Porta
(Gruppo Pro - 17)

N° post: 359
  Nazione:
Spagna 
Certificato: 
Vecchio Post #81 Data 23 Ott 2020, 01:40:44 Quota 
What could happen with the Silly Games, is something similar to the name changes of for example: Saint Petersburg ---> Petrograd ---> Leningrad ---> Saint Petersburg.
Original name is a better name.
Michael Keeney
(Gruppo Pro - 24)

Nazione:
Inghilterra 
Certificato: 
Vecchio Post #82 Data 23 Ott 2020, 01:43:28 Quota 

You're taking something that was original and quintessentially gpro.

Andre de Carvalho
(Gruppo Amateur - 75)

N° post: 447
  Nazione:
Brasile 
Certificato: 
Vecchio Post #83 Data 23 Ott 2020, 05:23:11 Quota 
This is the silliest change ever. I'm glad we are still very silly.
Sudeep Pednekar
(Gruppo Rookie - 163)

N° post: 698
  Nazione:
India 
Certificato: 
Vecchio Post #84 Data 23 Ott 2020, 08:42:01 (Ultima modifica 23 Ott 2020, 08:42:35 da Sudeep Pednekar) Quota 
I liked it being called "Silly games" because it was iconic to GPRO, so the nostlagia etc. But if many people think that changing the name would be better in the long run then what's wrong in doing that. Nostalgia isn't enough of a reason to stop changes.
Xavier Porta
(Gruppo Pro - 17)

Nazione:
Spagna 
Certificato: 
Vecchio Post #85 Data 23 Ott 2020, 08:50:27 (Ultima modifica 23 Ott 2020, 08:58:19 da Xavier Porta) Quota 
Quote ( Sudeep Pednekar @ October 23rd 2020,08:42:01 )

But if many people think that changing the name would be better in the long run then what's wrong in doing that. Nostalgia isn't enough of a reason to stop changes.

Yes, but how many people is "many people"?
Previously, no proper poll was made about it. Simply, in the thread of the topic, Vlad was asked for his opinion about it and in this case, Vlad did the change very quickly.
Of the people who express their opinion, I don't know what to tell you ... I read the same comments in favor as against the name change.
Thijs Rieken
(Gruppo Master - 3)

N° post: 1042
  Nazione:
Paesi Bassi 
Certificato: 
Vecchio Post #86 Data 23 Ott 2020, 09:08:49 Quota 
I simply don't get your argument, JB. Lots of comedians put endless hours of work in their comedy, often making fun of themselves in the process.

Calling these games Silly is not aimed at belittling the effort going into them, but rather the opposite. (this next sentence is easy to misinterpret) The amount of work and detail that goes into these "simple" text based games is borderline... silly!

More bluntly put, I think it's completely shite to remove a funny name because you might think it's belittling. It's cancel culture.

The much healthier option would be to have a discussion why you feel it might be belittling, and express what bothers you, whilst also listening to arguments from those that would be sad to have the name changed.

This thread started off well, and then it was cut off by the prompt decision to make the change. This should have been a discussion instead.
Jun Ho
(Gruppo Amateur - 78)

Nazione:
Hong Kong 
Certificato: 
Vecchio Post #87 Data 23 Ott 2020, 11:05:57 Quota 
Quote ( Thijs Rieken @ October 23rd 2020,09:08:49 )

This thread started off well, and then it was cut off by the prompt decision to make the change. This should have been a discussion instead.

This is the one thing I agree with. The change was done too quickly. As much as I love the new change (maybe it is a British thing to have something you work hard on called Silly to be a negative term), this was not given as much time as the other suggestions that people have put out and discussed. I had a really bad day at work yesterday, and so my comments might have been in the heat of the moment. I apologise, and would actually like a proper discussion on this and to see whether the change is actually beneficial for the site in the long term :)
Xavier Porta
(Gruppo Pro - 17)

Nazione:
Spagna 
Certificato: 
Vecchio Post #88 Data 23 Ott 2020, 11:21:51 Quota 
Quote ( Jun Ho @ October 23rd 2020,11:05:57 )

I apologise,

It's okay, when you realize your mistake, acknowledge it and apologize. I applaud you for that, Jun.

I would also like JB to realize his mistake, for me it has been to delete the messages.

I'm a newbie to forums, but I've read a lot of threads and posts, from which I've gotten a feel for JB as a sensible, polite, debatable person.
Greetings
Kevin Parkinson
(Gruppo Rookie - 150)

GPRO Crew
N° post: 14356
  Nazione:
Scozia 
Certificato: 
Vecchio Post #89 Data 23 Ott 2020, 11:52:52 (Ultima modifica 23 Ott 2020, 11:53:11 da Kevin Parkinson) Quota 
Quote ( Thijs Rieken @ October 23rd 2020,09:08:49 )

Please let the discussion continue.

The change of forum name is NOT set in stone, it can be reverted back, and there will ultimately be a poll on it. I'm avoiding putting a poll up too soon, as I want to encourage discussion before having it voted on.
Jonathan Beagles
(Gruppo Amateur - 7)

Nazione:
Inghilterra 
Certificato: 
Vecchio Post #90 Data 23 Ott 2020, 12:20:18 Quota 
Quote ( Xavier Porta @ October 23rd 2020,11:21:51 )

I would also like JB to realize his mistake, for me it has been to delete the messages.

I acknowledge it was a mistake, as per my post earlier today:

Quote ( Jonathan Beagles @ October 23rd 2020,04:21:11 )

You are absolutely correct that everyone has the right to an opinion. As I stated before, I am not trying to supress discussion - I just wanted to have it in a more organised fashion in 2 separate threads. Something that has clearly failed - and I certainly apologise if anyone's feelings were hurt by my attempts to have 2 separate and constructive discussions

Pagina « 1 2 [34 5 » Vai alla pagina:
Grand Prix Racing Online Forum > Suggestions forum > "Silly" Games Forum - Change the perception... Aggiungi questa discussione alla tua lista da ignorare Aggiungi questa discussione alla tua lista da tenere d'occhio

Rispondi a questo topic