Grand Prix Racing Online Forum > General forum > Rain Probability Wrong??? Tambah topik ini kepada senarai abai anda Tambah topik ini kepada senarai pemerhatian anda
Halaman [12 » Lompat ke halaman:
Pengarang Topik: Rain Probability Wrong??? 47 balasan
Vincent Wilkins
(Kumpulan Amateur - 32)

Kiriman: 12
  Negara:
Wales 
Persijilan: 
Suka kiriman ini (5)   Tidak suka kiriman ini (5)
Kiriman lama #1 dikirim Apr 11 2012, 09:49:56 Sebut 
Last Race the rain probability said....

Start - 0h30m
Rain Probability 60% - 70%

0h30m - 1h00m
Rain Probability 0%

So why the hell was it still raining round 50th min into the race?????
I know this might be a FOBY question but in my eyes it is a floor in the game if the rain probability is giving false information. Much help on this matter will be really appreciated :)
Santtu Sara
(Kumpulan Rookie - 257)

Kiriman: 8347
  Negara:
Finland 
Persijilan: 
Suka kiriman ini (9)   Tidak suka kiriman ini (2)
Kiriman lama #2 dikirim Apr 11 2012, 09:51:05 Sebut 
It's about how likely it is to START raining, not how likely it is to stop.

If it rains already when the 2nd quarter starts and it says 0%, you can be sure that it WILL end during that period, but you don't know when.
Milan Curcic
(Kumpulan Pro - 1)

Kiriman: 239
  Negara:
Serbia 
Persijilan: 
Suka kiriman ini (2)   Tidak suka kiriman ini (1)
Kiriman lama #3 dikirim Apr 11 2012, 09:52:53 Sebut 
Quote ( Vincent Wilkins @ April 11th 2012,09:49:56 )

Probability

that is a word for your answer :)
Mikko Harju
(Kumpulan Amateur - 35)

Kiriman: 283
  Negara:
Finland 
Persijilan: 
Suka kiriman ini (0)   Tidak suka kiriman ini (0)
Kiriman lama #4 dikirim Apr 11 2012, 09:54:51 Sebut 
As is the case with several other things in GPRO, you should not interpret the in game weather forecast like any sort of real world equivalent.
Shoaib Mohamed
(Kumpulan Master - 4)

Kiriman: 9817
  Negara:
India 
Persijilan: 
Suka kiriman ini (1)   Tidak suka kiriman ini (0)
Kiriman lama #5 dikirim Apr 11 2012, 09:55:06 Sebut 
Santtu gave the perfect answer :)
Chinmay Dhopate
(Kumpulan Master - 2)

Kiriman: 7750
  Negara:
India 
Persijilan: 
Suka kiriman ini (6)   Tidak suka kiriman ini (0)
Kiriman lama #6 dikirim Apr 11 2012, 09:57:15 Sebut 
Rain probability explained:

Rain Probability

0% rain probability means you can be sure that it won't start raining during the period. If it is already raining, you can be sure that it will stop raining during the period, but you don't know when it will happen (it can stop after one minute or after 29 minutes).

100% rain probability means that rain won't stop during the period. If it is dry at the start of the period, you can be sure it will start raining during the period - but again you don't know when that will happen.

http://wiki.gpro.net/index.php/Weather
Vincent Wilkins
(Kumpulan Amateur - 32)

Kiriman: 12
  Negara:
Wales 
Persijilan: 
Kiriman lama #7 dikirim Apr 11 2012, 10:00:35 Sebut 
Cheers Chinmay now i understand :)
Artur Balcerzak
(Kumpulan Rookie - 226)

Kiriman: 603
  Negara:
Poland 
Persijilan: 
Kiriman lama #8 dikirim Apr 11 2012, 10:00:50 Sebut 
The same question after each lottery rain race :D
Mikko Harju
(Kumpulan Amateur - 35)

Kiriman: 283
  Negara:
Finland 
Persijilan: 
Suka kiriman ini (4)   Tidak suka kiriman ini (0)
Kiriman lama #9 dikirim Apr 11 2012, 10:04:51 Sebut 
Quote ( Artur Balcerzak @ April 11th 2012,10:00:50 )

Some might draw the conclusion that the current format actually is misleading...
Pål Göran Stensson
(Kumpulan Pro - 12)

Kiriman: 1517
  Negara:
Sweden 
Persijilan: 
Suka kiriman ini (0)   Tidak suka kiriman ini (1)
Kiriman lama #10 dikirim Apr 11 2012, 10:16:35 Sebut 
Quote ( Artur Balcerzak @ April 11th 2012,10:00:50 )

Which is to be expected with new players arriving all the time. It is not an intuitive system that makes sense from a real-world perspective. It can be debated in endlessness whether it is good from a game-perspective or not and this has also been done, multiple times..

Kevin Fitzgerald
(Kumpulan Amateur - 23)

Kiriman: 181
  Negara:
England 
Persijilan: 
Suka kiriman ini (2)   Tidak suka kiriman ini (0)
Kiriman lama #11 dikirim Apr 11 2012, 11:45:43 Sebut 
Again this has probably been discussed a million times but taking yesterdays race:

There was a 60-70% chance it would start raining in the first 30mins, it did so after 4 laps, we then knew it would stop raining at some point between 30-60mins, I believe it was around the 48th min how is this a prediction?

Basically for half the race the weather could have done anything, I dont believe there is a way to predict it (?) so for half the race it was a complete lottery. Is there no way of improving forecast or adjusting so the forecast is at 15mins intervals (not that this will help too much unless the forecast is either 0 or 100%). Any ideas or opinions?
Georg Petrov
(Kumpulan Rookie - 16)

Kiriman: 1658
  Negara:
Bulgaria 
Persijilan: 
Suka kiriman ini (5)   Tidak suka kiriman ini (0)
Kiriman lama #12 dikirim Apr 11 2012, 12:02:24 (terakhir disunting Apr 11 2012, 12:12:56 oleh Georg Petrov) Sebut 
I agree with you, Kevin.

The current system is flawed and based on luck, to a huge extent.

Comming into last race, I thought about my strategy for a long long time.

Needless to say, I failed miserably, but that's not the point of my post. The race before yesterday, we had a 20-30% rain probability and saw it rain for 12 laps.

In Monaco, same year, we had a probability of 25-30% with higher humidity and the race was a completely dry one.

Now explain to me, how on earth are you to cover both strategies, if it (lets say hypothetically) rains for 5-6 laps, stops, rains agein for 7-10 laps. In this case, it could have rained for half the race, like it did yesterday, but it could have also rained for a few laps and stopped, in which case NOT stopping for tyres would win you a huge amount of time.

Comparing GPROs weather to the real one is flawed, as during a real race, teams can and DO intervene during a weather change. We on the other hand have to sit infront of the screen and watch our races get screwed up by the very random rain mechanics of the game.

How does this random element fit in a (generally speaking) calculative game, where the best managers plan their races several seasons in advance?

A bit randomness is ok, and I salute it. But the way weather works on Gpro, it's a lose-lose situation. There is no way to cover all probabilities and that gets me really worked up. Here are the possibilities we had for last race:

1. Start on wets and hope for rain to come very fast (was the right strategy, no doubt)
2. Start on dries and change to wets as soon as weather changes (2nd best strategy in our case)
3. Start on dries and not pit for wets, due to the probability that rain might - if at all come for a brief period (absolute race killer yesterday)

Lets emphasise a bit more:

Strategy 1: What happens when it stays dry for more than 7 laps and my tyres are already dead when it starts raining?
Strategy 2: What happens if we have several weather changes and I find myself pitting every 3-4 laps?
Strategy 3: What happens if it rains early and stays wet for a very long time?

Now depending on how the weather gods feel like it, any and every single of these 3 strategies could have payed off big time or flopped big time. How does this fit in GPRO?

I am open for critisism, if you feel I am wrong about having 3 strategy options yesterday, but the way I see it, this was an absolute lottery race, hands down.
Shoaib Mohamed
(Kumpulan Master - 4)

Kiriman: 9817
  Negara:
India 
Persijilan: 
Kiriman lama #13 dikirim Apr 11 2012, 12:12:22 Sebut 
Well yes, the weather system could do with an improvement but last nights race was quite straightforward to plan for. The general idea with the current weather system is to cover all weather change possibilities. If course, you could still get caught out in certain cases but you should give yourself the best chance.

And before anyone points it, I didn't quite get it right last night either.
Georg Petrov
(Kumpulan Rookie - 16)

Negara:
Bulgaria 
Persijilan: 
Kiriman lama #14 dikirim Apr 11 2012, 12:16:05 Sebut 
I admit yesterdays race is not the best of examples for a "complete" lottery race, but I am sure you will agree that we have had absolutely impossible races to make "the right call" from the get go.

Still, even yesterday, 2-3 laps less rain /later rain/ more rain could have changed the outcome of the race COMPLETELY.
Saša Rosić
(Kumpulan Amateur - 13)

Kiriman: 107
  Negara:
Bosnia-Herzegovina 
Persijilan: 
Kiriman lama #15 dikirim Apr 11 2012, 12:21:07 Sebut 
Quote ( Shoaib Mohamed @ April 11th 2012,12:12:22 )

Well yes, the weather system could do with an improvement but last nights race was quite straightforward to plan for. The general idea with the current weather system is to cover all weather change possibilities. If course, you could still get caught out in certain cases but you should give yourself the best chance.

I agree with this. There are always ways to play on the safe side - you may not get any big advantage from your strategy but you also reduce the risk of ruining your race completely (like you would with a more risky strategy). I don't think the system needs major changes, i'd just like a little bit less randomness.
Andrew Massey
(Kumpulan Amateur - 24)

Kiriman: 1128
  Negara:
England 
Persijilan: 
Kiriman lama #16 dikirim Apr 11 2012, 12:21:18 Sebut 
The simple answer is to change your strategy to suit most weather conditions, fuel up well and pick tyres which last longer, after all its a game of taking risks, your either being rewarded or penalized in the end but at least you cover yourself for fuel and tyres. This is the best way to deal with it instead of moaning about it. We all have to deal with the unknown, after all Fred the weather man did yesterdays rain forecast so what you expect?
Georg Petrov
(Kumpulan Rookie - 16)

Negara:
Bulgaria 
Persijilan: 
Kiriman lama #17 dikirim Apr 11 2012, 12:26:03 Sebut 
I'm not complaining, Andrew. (Did enough of that yesterday :P )

I just feel, a new system could mix things up a bit and with a touch less randomness make the game a better experience for everyone.

I could bring at least 10 ideas for positively changing the way weather gets calculated. The thing is, I doubt it is worth the time. (mind you, I am not sure I actually know EXACTLY how the weather gets calculated)
Fernando Fernandes
(Kumpulan Rookie - 232)

Kiriman: 402
  Negara:
Portugal 
Persijilan: 
Suka kiriman ini (1)   Tidak suka kiriman ini (1)
Kiriman lama #18 dikirim Apr 11 2012, 12:28:53 Sebut 
Quote ( Georg Petrov @ April 11th 2012,12:26:03 )

I am not sure I actually know EXACTLY how the weather gets calculated

a little help Georg ;) this speaks in favour of admins imo.

Complex mathematical equations are used to predict the physics and movement of the atmosphere and to determine the rates of change in the atmosphere over time. The rates of change predict the state of the atmosphere a short time in the future. The equations are then applied to this next atmospheric state to find new rates of change, and these new rates of change predict the atmosphere at a yet further time into the future. This is called time stepping.

This time stepping is continually repeated until the desired forecast time in the future is reached. Computation time for a regional weather model is from a few seconds to a few minutes.

Forecasts cannot accurately predict the state of the atmosphere in two weeks time. Tiny errors in the initial data input, such as for temperature and wind, double for every 5 days of prediction within numerical models. This means that a forecast for the next few hours is more accurate than a forecast for next week.
Pål Göran Stensson
(Kumpulan Pro - 12)

Kiriman: 1517
  Negara:
Sweden 
Persijilan: 
Suka kiriman ini (2)   Tidak suka kiriman ini (0)
Kiriman lama #19 dikirim Apr 11 2012, 12:32:01 Sebut 
Yesterday was pretty much as I expected it to be, maybe a few laps longer than expected but not unreasonably so. Shoaib is absolutely correct, you try to cover as many reasonable options as possible and there is actually some skill involved in doing this. I've been burnt a number of times on seeing the result that a small change to my fuel would have saved me loads of time while having small impact when not happening.

In addition, everyone is playing from the same forecast and strategies are usually not all that different. There are a few that plays against the odds on the hope that they will hit jackpot, this'll work once in a while but not consistently. My main issue here is that these races are relatively "rare" which means that streaks of weird races have a higher impact than warranted.

All that said, I think weather could be made more interesting while remaining a largely random factor. However, I've gotten past the stage where I found it really annoying though.
John Lewis
(Kumpulan Rookie - 269)

Kiriman: 267
  Negara:
England 
Persijilan: 
Kiriman lama #20 dikirim Apr 11 2012, 12:34:12 Sebut 

in my eyes it is a floor in the game

lol
Georg Petrov
(Kumpulan Rookie - 16)

Negara:
Bulgaria 
Persijilan: 
Kiriman lama #21 dikirim Apr 11 2012, 12:36:05 (terakhir disunting Apr 11 2012, 12:39:33 oleh Georg Petrov) Sebut 
Quote ( Fernando Fernandes @ April 11th 2012,12:28:53 )

Complex mathematical equations are used to predict the physics and movement of the atmosphere and to determine the rates of change in the atmosphere over time. The rates of change predict the state of the atmosphere a short time in the future. The equations are then applied to this next atmospheric state to find new rates of change, and these new rates of change predict the atmosphere at a yet further time into the future. This is called time stepping.

This time stepping is continually repeated until the desired forecast time in the future is reached. Computation time for a regional weather model is from a few seconds to a few minutes.
thanks good guy greg!

This means that a forecast for the next few hours is more accurate than a forecast for next week.

Thanks captain obvious. ;)

Btw, I forgot to mention I was talking about GPRO weather. My bad :(

Quote ( Pål Göran Stensson @ April 11th 2012,12:32:01 )

Yesterday was pretty much as I expected it to be,...

Ok, lets talk about hungary's weather, then. Did that go "to plan" too? I feel it shouldn't have rained in hungary. Am I very far off?
Fernando Fernandes
(Kumpulan Rookie - 232)

Kiriman: 402
  Negara:
Portugal 
Persijilan: 
Kiriman lama #22 dikirim Apr 11 2012, 12:38:35 Sebut 
Quote ( Georg Petrov @ April 11th 2012,12:36:05 )

Btw, I forgot to mention I was talking about GPRO weather. My bad :(

No problem at all :p But i guess that´s why the weather formula is GPRO´s most well kept secret :D
Rogerio Pereira
(Kumpulan Pro - 9)

Kiriman: 3346
  Negara:
Brazil 
Persijilan: 
Suka kiriman ini (1)   Tidak suka kiriman ini (3)
Kiriman lama #23 dikirim Apr 11 2012, 12:47:07 Sebut 

And what's wrong with that? % rain means a chance of rain START, not STOP.

Read the rules, it's clearly stated there that rain DOES NOT stopped immediately.

The 0% chance in second quarter only means that after rain stops, it WONT rain again at that point. It does not absolutely mean the rain HAS to stop in the first lap of the second quarter, Elite time.

It's really disapointing that everytime something like this happens (which was totally normal by game rules and weather conditions), and someone has interpreted it wrong and messed its own strategy, it has to be a "bug" in the game.

It is not. People must learn how to read the forecast. Just that.

Or do you really think that double champ Leandro Sereno tossed a coin up there in Elite and was the only wet-starter in the top 20 and ended the race with a spetacular 1-stopper with 1+ min over the others by a lucky shot?
Georg Petrov
(Kumpulan Rookie - 16)

Negara:
Bulgaria 
Persijilan: 
Kiriman lama #24 dikirim Apr 11 2012, 12:52:45 (terakhir disunting Apr 11 2012, 12:53:12 oleh Georg Petrov) Sebut 
Tell me about how Sereno's race would have looked if it had stayed dry for only 2-3 more laps. ;)
(And care to tell me this was not possible at all, yesterday)

The OP already had his answer, the discussion has taken a new direction now. Surely not the first time something like this has been discussed, but who cares. I find people's views on the matter interesting.
Merse Kovácsházi
(Kumpulan Amateur - 8)

Kiriman: 784
  Negara:
Hungary 
Persijilan: 
Kiriman lama #25 dikirim Apr 11 2012, 13:58:48 Sebut 
An improved weather forecast or some more options for the managers to make their strategy more flexible would really be nice. There are just too many lottery races recently. In this season this one was the third IIRC. At this point the championship becomes less and less about strategy and more about pure luck, which is clearly not an ideal situation.
Jon Day
(Kumpulan Amateur - 6)

Kiriman: 10019
  Negara:
England 
Persijilan: 
Kiriman lama #26 dikirim Apr 11 2012, 14:03:52 (terakhir disunting Apr 11 2012, 14:04:29 oleh Jon Day) Sebut 
Quote ( Merse Kovácsházi @ April 11th 2012,13:58:48 )

At this point the championship becomes less and less about strategy and more about pure luck, which is clearly not an ideal situation.
There are only 2 types of luck, good luck and bad luck so its 50/50. :D Leave the weather at it is, imo it makes the races all the more exciting :)
Chinmay Dhopate
(Kumpulan Master - 2)

Kiriman: 7750
  Negara:
India 
Persijilan: 
Kiriman lama #27 dikirim Apr 11 2012, 16:23:05 (terakhir disunting Apr 11 2012, 16:23:51 oleh Chinmay Dhopate) Sebut 

a little help Georg ;) this speaks in favour of admins imo.

lol, no such thing is used in GPRO. GPRO's weather system is equivalent to casting a loaded dice every lap. And it doesn't speak in favour of admins...
Kevin Fitzgerald
(Kumpulan Amateur - 23)

Kiriman: 181
  Negara:
England 
Persijilan: 
Kiriman lama #28 dikirim Apr 11 2012, 16:44:19 Sebut 
Quote ( Georg Petrov @ April 11th 2012,12:02:24 )

1. Start on wets and hope for rain to come very fast (was the right strategy, no doubt)
2. Start on dries and change to wets as soon as weather changes (2nd best strategy in our case)
3. Start on dries and not pit for wets, due to the probability that rain might - if at all come for a brief period (absolute race killer yesterday)

Lets emphasise a bit more:

Strategy 1: What happens when it stays dry for more than 7 laps and my tyres are already dead when it starts raining?
Strategy 2: What happens if we have several weather changes and I find myself pitting every 3-4 laps?
Strategy 3: What happens if it rains early and stays wet for a very long time?

Now depending on how the weather gods feel like it, any and every single of these 3 strategies could have payed off big time or flopped big time. How does this fit in GPRO?

I think Georg sums it up very well here. Any one of those 3 strategies could have worked but with no idea as to when the rain would come and stop it was a impossible task guessing what the best strategy would be.

I went for 1 stopping on hards staying out when it rained but I guessed that the rain would come alot later then lap4 and would have stopped before 48mins in. Now I know everyone had to deal with the same choices and I got it wrong but its so frustrating that my race could have gone good or bad purely because I had to guess what the weather was going to do
Sasa Todorovich
(Kumpulan Rookie - 174)

Kiriman: 358
  Negara:
Bosnia-Herzegovina 
Persijilan: 
Suka kiriman ini (0)   Tidak suka kiriman ini (2)
Kiriman lama #29 dikirim Apr 11 2012, 17:02:57 Sebut 

Last Race the rain probability said....

Start - 0h30m
Rain Probability 60% - 70%

0h30m - 1h00m
Rain Probability 0%

And yet you somehow managed to have 131 races of experience behind you..
Savio Viana
(Kumpulan Rookie - 150)

Kiriman: 160
  Negara:
Kanada 
Persijilan: 
Kiriman lama #30 dikirim Apr 11 2012, 17:12:49 Sebut 
I think what needs to be discussed is if the weather system adds to the game or makes it worse.

I do like the variation added by weather changes, but we have to admit it is almost completely random where the rest of the game favours precision.

You can collect data and make somewhat precise calculations for almost everything in this game but weather, that in my opinion is that this becomes quite a controversial subject, it almost goes against the "essence" of the game.

And I do understand the complains, I have seem races where it would start raining, rain for just a few laps and then stop.

With the limitations we have, orders entered before the race start, one can never optimally prepare for that, so a rain race becomes way more a lottery then the rest of the game is.

The problem lies in introducing a random component but not allowing one to react to it, just giving someone a best guess.
Halaman [12 » Lompat ke halaman:
Grand Prix Racing Online Forum > General forum > Rain Probability Wrong??? Tambah topik ini kepada senarai abai anda Tambah topik ini kepada senarai pemerhatian anda

Balas topik ini