Halaman « 1 2 3 [45 » Lompat ke halaman:
Pengarang Topik: Im in Bathroom 134 balasan
Michal Szopinski
(Kumpulan Elite)

Kiriman: 906
  Negara:
Australia 
Persijilan: 
Suka kiriman ini (11)   Tidak suka kiriman ini (0)
Kiriman lama #91 dikirim Dis 7 2014, 15:11:14 Sebut 
Quote ( Flavio Almeida @ December 7th 2014,15:01:08 )

You will interpret as an insult to those who die of hunger, too? My god...

My comment has absolutely nothing to do with your analogy. It has to do with your inability to see where the insults like "retard" and "mentally ill" cross the line. You seem to be unable to grasp why these kind of comments are completely inappropriate and you keep defending your position. So let me spell this out to you:

IF YOU CALL SOMEONE A RETARD OR MENTALLY DISABLED, AND YOU MEAN IT AS AN INSULT, YOU ARE SAYING THAT RETARDS OR MENTALLY DISABLED PEOPLE ARE LESS THAN EQUAL, LESSER PEOPLE, BECAUSE YOU ARE USING THEM AS THE MEASURE TO INSULT SOMEBODY. And this is where Rafa crossed the line.

Besides, "retard" is a derogatory term which you should not use in the first place. That's why I'm happy to sort you out with a bigger shovel, because you started digging a hole under yourself with those comments.
Peter Willmore
(Kumpulan Pro - 14)

Kiriman: 3616
  Negara:
England 
Persijilan: 
Suka kiriman ini (7)   Tidak suka kiriman ini (0)
Kiriman lama #92 dikirim Dis 7 2014, 15:11:21 Sebut 
Quote ( Filipe Oliveira @ December 7th 2014,15:06:28 )

If you say that my job sucks, you are offending me.
That's what has upset much of the Brazilian community.

The thing is Flo and Rafael are able to defend themselves if they wish

However those with mental Illness are more often than not unable to to.

So who do you think you should be upset with?
Finn Shaw-McIver
(Kumpulan Pro - 12)

Kiriman: 22386
  Negara:
England 
Persijilan: 
Suka kiriman ini (2)   Tidak suka kiriman ini (14)
Kiriman lama #93 dikirim Dis 7 2014, 15:12:05 Sebut 
Weird that Florencia never came on and trivialised mental illness.
Michael Winkley
(Kumpulan Amateur - 61)

Kiriman: 33335
  Negara:
Wales 
Persijilan: 
Suka kiriman ini (7)   Tidak suka kiriman ini (1)
Kiriman lama #94 dikirim Dis 7 2014, 15:14:27 Sebut 
Quote ( Flavio Almeida @ December 7th 2014,14:55:50 )

If I say that I am hungry, I will be offending the African people starving?

Are all Africans starving, or do you just like ignorant sweeping generalisations?
Filipe Oliveira
(Kumpulan Amateur - 58)

Kiriman: 509
  Negara:
Brazil 
Persijilan: 
Suka kiriman ini (4)   Tidak suka kiriman ini (1)
Kiriman lama #95 dikirim Dis 7 2014, 15:15:45 Sebut 
Quote ( Peter Willmore @ December 7th 2014,15:11:21 )

However those with mental Illness are more often than not unable to to.

So who do you think you should be upset with?

I'm not defending his attitude. He missed as everyone makes mistakes, including you and me.

The problem is that used different criteria for both cases.
Kshitij Sharma
(Kumpulan Rookie - 381)

Kiriman: 2740
  Negara:
India 
Persijilan: 
Suka kiriman ini (0)   Tidak suka kiriman ini (4)
Kiriman lama #96 dikirim Dis 7 2014, 15:15:58 Sebut 
What People are barking saying in this off topic making it completely off topic

Some new very nice off topics are over here .
Jon Garay
(Kumpulan Master - 1)

Kiriman: 328
  Negara:
Amerika Syarikat 
Persijilan: 
Suka kiriman ini (8)   Tidak suka kiriman ini (0)
Kiriman lama #97 dikirim Dis 7 2014, 15:16:40 Sebut 
I'm in Bathroom?
Filipe Oliveira
(Kumpulan Amateur - 58)

Negara:
Brazil 
Persijilan: 
Suka kiriman ini (2)   Tidak suka kiriman ini (0)
Kiriman lama #98 dikirim Dis 7 2014, 15:17:10 Sebut 
Quote ( Max Watson @ December 7th 2014,15:08:16 )

Peter, while we all need our consciousness raised once in a while, I feel you should take intentionality into account. No one is claiming that what Rafa said was acceptable, but anyone who knows him can confirm that he is not a bigot. What he said was not a pre-meditated attack on a certain group of people; it was something said in a moment of anger when he felt all the effort he had put into this community was being called worthless - called worthless, moreover, by someone who was not aware that the majority of his modding was being done in the Portugeuse Language forum, and had therefore had little experience of it.

The way he phrased his rebuke was wrong. That has been observed and accepted now. The next step is to recognise that even decent people make mistakes, particularly when goaded.

Just as I think.
Peter Willmore
(Kumpulan Pro - 14)

Negara:
England 
Persijilan: 
Suka kiriman ini (4)   Tidak suka kiriman ini (0)
Kiriman lama #99 dikirim Dis 7 2014, 15:18:36 Sebut 
Quote ( Max Watson @ December 7th 2014,15:08:16 )

Peter, while we all need our consciousness raised once in a while, I feel you should take intentionality into account. No one is claiming that what Rafa said was acceptable, but anyone who knows him can confirm that he is not a bigot. What he said was not a pre-meditated attack on a certain group of people; it was something said in a moment of anger when he felt all the effort he had put into this community was being called worthless - called worthless, moreover, by someone who was not aware that the majority of his modding was being done in the Portugeuse Language forum, and had therefore had little experience of it.

The way he phrased his rebuke was wrong. That has been observed and accepted now. The next step is to recognise that even decent people make mistakes, particularly when goaded.

I get that you know Rafael much better than I do, however the fact that it was the first insult which came to mind says alot about the man IMO

Furthermore I have seen nowhere him having any remorse about it ?

So to me the first stage would be for him to understand it was wrong and also maybe understand how his comments as a Moderator reflects on the game we all enjoy so much as a whole .
Wopke Hoekstra
(Kumpulan Amateur - 98)

Kiriman: 4685
  Negara:
Belanda 
Persijilan: 
Suka kiriman ini (0)   Tidak suka kiriman ini (0)
Kiriman lama #100 dikirim Dis 7 2014, 15:19:09 Sebut 
Quote ( Filipe Oliveira @ December 7th 2014,15:15:45 )

I'm not defending his attitude. He missed as everyone makes mistakes, including you and me.

The problem is that used different criteria for both cases.

Rafael was a moderator, he was basically said "in charge" of the forum. He should give us a good example and of course mistakes are allowed - I'm not saying all the other mods are 100% perfect or that I am perfect. However, what he did there is just unacceptable as a mod.
Finn is not a moderator so that makes a difference as well - Besides, Rafael could also not have posted and have given him an official warning for insulting, right?
Finn Shaw-McIver
(Kumpulan Pro - 12)

Negara:
England 
Persijilan: 
Suka kiriman ini (0)   Tidak suka kiriman ini (18)
Kiriman lama #101 dikirim Dis 7 2014, 15:20:15 Sebut 
Quote ( Wopke Hoekstra @ December 7th 2014,15:19:09 )

Besides, Rafael could also not have posted and have given him an official warning for insulting, right?

No, because I didn't insult anyone.
José Nunes
(Kumpulan Amateur - 68)

Kiriman: 2879
  Negara:
Brazil 
Persijilan: 
Suka kiriman ini (8)   Tidak suka kiriman ini (1)
Kiriman lama #102 dikirim Dis 7 2014, 15:20:50 (terakhir disunting Dis 7 2014, 15:21:11 oleh José Nunes) Sebut 
Quote ( Finn Shaw-McIver @ December 7th 2014,14:55:38 )

Have you came here from the 14th century with views like that?

You must have a very strong saint to protect you, because after post's 20612, with some offensive post's, you still here.

What are you? A GPRO sponsor?
Filipe Oliveira
(Kumpulan Amateur - 58)

Negara:
Brazil 
Persijilan: 
Suka kiriman ini (5)   Tidak suka kiriman ini (0)
Kiriman lama #103 dikirim Dis 7 2014, 15:23:12 Sebut 
Quote ( Wopke Hoekstra @ December 7th 2014,15:19:09 )

Rafael was a moderator, he was basically said "in charge" of the forum. He should give us a good example and of course mistakes are allowed - I'm not saying all the other mods are 100% perfect or that I am perfect. However, what he did there is just unacceptable as a mod.
Finn is not a moderator so that makes a difference as well - Besides, Rafael could also not have posted and have given him an official warning for insulting, right?

I agree with you. But other moderate had seen the post and did nothing.
All this could have been avoided if the topic had been closed on time.
Kshitij Sharma
(Kumpulan Rookie - 381)

Kiriman: 2740
  Negara:
India 
Persijilan: 
Kiriman lama #104 dikirim Dis 7 2014, 15:25:04 Sebut 
I fell Finn was not insulting anyone that's our negative thinking which make us feel that .I feel Rafael can be a best mod in future
Shoaib Mohamed
(Kumpulan Elite)

Kiriman: 9817
  Negara:
India 
Persijilan: 
Kiriman lama #105 dikirim Dis 7 2014, 15:25:31 Sebut 
Quote ( Jack Wemyss @ December 7th 2014,14:18:04 )

Shoaib please, surely you've realised by now that posts on these forums, and a logical thought process are not a common combination.
Fair point!

Quote ( Finn Shaw-McIver @ December 7th 2014,14:18:56 )

Quote ( Daryl Gee @ December 7th 2014,14:17:24 )

Personally I think there's a pretty big difference between calling Finn a "mentally disabled human being", and mocking / attacking the mentally disabled.
Using mental illness as an insult?

Quote ( Shoaib Mohamed @ December 7th 2014,14:16:26 )

Wait, so the real issue is not that there are off topic threads are being created but rather that there is a sense of injustice being done? :{O
No that's exactly what it is, read the Brazilian forum, if you're on chrome you can translate the page. They think I should be banned
I'll check it when I get on a PC probably. But this is why I'm not a fan of the language/national threads. They end up creating too much of an "us versus them" sentiment and unnecessary nationalism.
Peter Willmore
(Kumpulan Pro - 14)

Negara:
England 
Persijilan: 
Suka kiriman ini (3)   Tidak suka kiriman ini (1)
Kiriman lama #106 dikirim Dis 7 2014, 15:25:59 Sebut 
Quote ( Filipe Oliveira @ December 7th 2014,15:23:12 )

All this could have been avoided if Rafael had not insulted the mentally ill

Fixed that for you :)
Wopke Hoekstra
(Kumpulan Amateur - 98)

Kiriman: 4685
  Negara:
Belanda 
Persijilan: 
Suka kiriman ini (1)   Tidak suka kiriman ini (0)
Kiriman lama #107 dikirim Dis 7 2014, 15:26:38 Sebut 

But other moderate had seen the post and did nothing.

Don't blame it on the other mods now, because Rafael was still a mod and every mod has to decide for himself what's best. Just because the topic was still open and no other mod closed it doesn't give him the right to make such insults.
He could have closed it himself and if other mods disagreed they could've used something like PM to discuss it all. If it would be re-opened, Rafael would already have calmed down most likely or he could at least have thought about how to choose his words.
Finn Shaw-McIver
(Kumpulan Pro - 12)

Negara:
England 
Persijilan: 
Suka kiriman ini (2)   Tidak suka kiriman ini (12)
Kiriman lama #108 dikirim Dis 7 2014, 15:28:38 (terakhir disunting Dis 7 2014, 15:28:50 oleh Finn Shaw-McIver) Sebut 
Thank god some of you aren't in politics, as you seem to think the people in charge should not have a bad word said about them. Protect your friends and punish those that speak against them.

actually you'd be perfect for politics
Michael Winkley
(Kumpulan Amateur - 61)

Negara:
Wales 
Persijilan: 
Suka kiriman ini (0)   Tidak suka kiriman ini (2)
Kiriman lama #109 dikirim Dis 7 2014, 15:29:40 (terakhir disunting Dis 7 2014, 15:31:14 oleh Michael Winkley) Sebut 

Rafa could have closed it himself. Instead he chose to post the comment of a wally.
Michal Szopinski
(Kumpulan Elite)

Negara:
Australia 
Persijilan: 
Suka kiriman ini (20)   Tidak suka kiriman ini (0)
Kiriman lama #110 dikirim Dis 7 2014, 15:30:37 Sebut 
Funny how this topic turned from Flavio complaining about the lack of forum bans to a fist fight between Finn and Brazil. :D

Guys, as much as I think Rafa's comment was inappropriate, I really don't think he meant it to insult anyone other than Finn. He did cross the line, but in all honesty I've never seen him do that, so I don't think he's a bigot at all. We all make mistakes. Does that mean we should be crucified? And Finn saying that Rafa is "shit" was also inappropriate, and a little step too far, no matter how he feels. So there is no innocent party here. Finn has said the wrong thing too. That's what I think.
Peter Willmore
(Kumpulan Pro - 14)

Negara:
England 
Persijilan: 
Kiriman lama #111 dikirim Dis 7 2014, 15:30:43 Sebut 
lol so true Imagine how David Cameron must feel if you get insulted time someone calls you shit at your job :D

Funny thing this is one of the few topics I have actually agreed with finn about :)
Tim Sewell
(Kumpulan Amateur - 82)

Kiriman: 1328
  Negara:
England 
Persijilan: 
Suka kiriman ini (2)   Tidak suka kiriman ini (0)
Kiriman lama #112 dikirim Dis 7 2014, 15:32:49 Sebut 
Quote ( Michael Winkley @ December 7th 2014,15:29:40 )

Instead he chose to post the comment of an imbecile.

Oh dear.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imbecile
Phil Maunder
(Kumpulan Pro - 12)

Kiriman: 10003
  Negara:
England 
Persijilan: 
Suka kiriman ini (6)   Tidak suka kiriman ini (0)
Kiriman lama #113 dikirim Dis 7 2014, 15:38:55 Sebut 
Quote ( Tim Sewell @ December 7th 2014,15:32:49 )

Quote ( Michael Winkley @ December 7th 2014,15:29:40 )

Instead he chose to post the comment of an imbecile.

Oh dear.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imbecile

Some guy on Wiki has quantified the difference between an idiot, moron & imbecile based on IQ scores?

Do me a favour ...
Joe Manifold
(Kumpulan Amateur - 81)

Kiriman: 12472
  Negara:
England 
Persijilan: 
Kiriman lama #114 dikirim Dis 7 2014, 15:41:51 (terakhir disunting Dis 7 2014, 15:47:54 oleh Joe Manifold) Sebut 
Every time I hear someone say something similar to "I know him and he isn't like that. Yes he said something out of anger but he isn't a bigot", it makes me think of dogs. Every time you hear about a dog tearing apart a baby, the dog's owner says "he's never done that before, he loves babies and has never harmed a mouse or even a fly before". Just because someone hasn't acted like that in front of you, it doesn't mean they aren't innately like that. Now I'm not necessarily calling Rafa a bigot, but to use a mental illness to degrade someone (and therefore those with mental illnesses) suggests that the person has had these type of thoughts before if they are willing to use them, in calmness or anger.
Peter Willmore
(Kumpulan Pro - 14)

Negara:
England 
Persijilan: 
Kiriman lama #115 dikirim Dis 7 2014, 15:42:30 (terakhir disunting Dis 7 2014, 15:50:12 oleh Peter Willmore) Sebut 
Quote ( Michal Szopinski @ December 7th 2014,15:30:37 )

Guys, as much as I think Rafa's comment was inappropriate, I really don't think he meant it to insult anyone other than Finn

Just because he did no intend to insult anyone else does not change the fact that he has.

Quote ( Michal Szopinski @ December 7th 2014,15:30:37 )

but in all honesty I've never seen him do that, so I don't think he's a bigot at all.

As I have said before it worries me this was the first insult he could think of.

I have also just read Joe's post and he puts it very well

Here's a suggestion for anyone who thinks that Rafael's statement was trivial, contact a local Autism Children's charity/ or any other mental illness for that matter and ask if you could spend the day helping the kids and see how they struggle and then come back and say it does not really matter his attitude. Because that's what you are essentially saying.

Chris Oldham
(Kumpulan Rookie - 248)

Kiriman: 1922
  Negara:
England 
Persijilan: 
Suka kiriman ini (1)   Tidak suka kiriman ini (1)
Kiriman lama #116 dikirim Dis 7 2014, 15:42:52 Sebut 
I cannot be arsed looking if someone said it or not but, you're saying these topics are stupid and a waste of time...that's exactly what this topic is!
Michael Winkley
(Kumpulan Amateur - 61)

Negara:
Wales 
Persijilan: 
Kiriman lama #117 dikirim Dis 7 2014, 15:43:02 Sebut 
Quote ( Tim Sewell @ December 7th 2014,15:32:49 )

Oh dear.

Best to do a forum search for me using the terms "idiot" and "moron" before pulling me up on the word imbecile, which is no longer used within the context of that article you linked.
Tim Sewell
(Kumpulan Amateur - 82)

Kiriman: 1328
  Negara:
England 
Persijilan: 
Kiriman lama #118 dikirim Dis 7 2014, 15:44:20 Sebut 
Quote ( Michael Winkley @ December 7th 2014,15:43:02 )

Best to do a forum search for me using the terms "idiot" and "moron" before pulling me up on the word imbecile, which is no longer used within the context of that article you linked.

In that case, why did you edit it?
Michael Winkley
(Kumpulan Amateur - 61)

Negara:
Wales 
Persijilan: 
Suka kiriman ini (1)   Tidak suka kiriman ini (1)
Kiriman lama #119 dikirim Dis 7 2014, 15:50:23 Sebut 
Quote ( Tim Sewell @ December 7th 2014,15:44:20 )

In that case, why did you edit it?

because I kind of figured that there would be some kind of smartass that would try to pull me up on it.

At no point have I used any of those "medical" terms with reference to anyone with any kind of mental illness.
Michal Szopinski
(Kumpulan Elite)

Negara:
Australia 
Persijilan: 
Suka kiriman ini (5)   Tidak suka kiriman ini (0)
Kiriman lama #120 dikirim Dis 7 2014, 15:55:38 (terakhir disunting Dis 7 2014, 16:14:13 oleh Michal Szopinski) Sebut 
Quote ( Joe Manifold @ December 7th 2014,15:41:51 )

Just because someone hasn't acted like that in front of you, it doesn't mean they are innately like that. Now I'm not necessarily calling Rafa a bigot, but to use a mental illness to degrade someone (and therefore those with mental illnesses) suggests that the person has had these type of thoughts before if they are willing to use them, in calmness or anger.
Quote ( Peter Willmore @ December 7th 2014,15:42:30 )

Just because he did no intend to insult anyone else does not change the fact that he has.

I totally agree with that, 100%, and I'm not trying to excuse Rafa. I'm not saying he hasn't done anything wrong. The fact that he hasn't come out and publicly apologized actually bothers me. But I know that I am not perfect either and I make stupid mistakes, so before I judge someone I try to see the good side of that person.

E: And one more thing, our behavior often reflects our environment, not our tendencies. It's the society as a whole that conditions us to behave in certain ways. This doesn't always mean we are in certain way inclined. Sometimes we all make errors of judgement. How many times do we say something and then we realise that it was the wrong thing to say and we didn't mean it the way it came out? That's why I tend to not make any judgment of a person based on some one comment, which they might be regretting after realising its implication. And I'm not trying to defend Rafa here, because I completely agree that it was a terrible thing to say. All I'm saying is that I don't really think he meant to insult any disabled person, although he did.
Halaman « 1 2 3 [45 » Lompat ke halaman:

Topik ini telah ditutup oleh moderator!