Grand Prix Racing Online Jabb'rin' > Newbie forum > Refueling when pitting because of a technical problem Be addin' thi' jabb'r t' yer nay care list Be addin' thi' jabb'r t' yer impor' list
This Sheet [1
Thi' Captain Spake Jabb'r: Refueling when pitting because of a technical problem 's many 's 10 answ'rs
Joachim Rang2
(Squadron Rookie - 35)

Postin's: 316
  Home Port:
Germany 
Treasure hunt'r: 
A old postin' #1 Spake upon Aug 21 2018, 16:02:41 Be quotin' 
There is this option "Don't refuel when pitting for a technical problem".
I've enabled it but wonder if there are sensible reasons to disable it (meaning to refuel).

I can't think of any reasons refueling might be useful unless you could be sure that a technical problem happens on a SPECIFIC lap or am I missing something?

What does it mean anyway, refueling to the amount of the last pit stop or the next pit stop?
Matija Gjurčević
(Squadron Rookie - 29)

Postin's: 398
  Home Port:
Croatia 
Treasure hunt'r: 
Like this here post (1)   Dislike this here post (0)
A old postin' #2 Spake upon Aug 21 2018, 16:17:17 Be quotin' 
Well, for example you want to pit every time your tyres are at X% of wear. Now how do you do that? The only logical thing you can do is to put Y amount of fuel that will exactly be enough to take your tyres to X% of wear. If you don't refuel and change your tyres then you will pit for new rubber on Z% of wear of the tyres (probably 0-5% :p). Was this usefull to anyone? I hope so :)
Jukka Sireni2
(Squadron Rookie - 69)

Buccaneer o' Offic'r
Postin's: 3870
  Home Port:
Finland 
Treasure hunt'r: 
Like this here post (0)   Dislike this here post (0)
A old postin' #3 Spake upon Aug 21 2018, 16:17:36 Be quotin' 
Often it's better to stay on the track as long as possible to avoid traffic. If you pit now and after 3 laps you may end up in the middle of much slower cars. And if you are a bit overfuelled, you may get lucky and avoid an extra pit.

If you decide to fuel, it counts as a normal stop. So if it's your 2nd stop, you get the 2nd fuel amount, and on the next stop you get 3rd.
Joachim Rang2
(Squadron Rookie - 35)

Home Port:
Germany 
Treasure hunt'r: 
A old postin' #4 Spake upon Aug 21 2018, 16:23:45 ('t be edit'd Aug 21 2018, 16:26:38 by Joachim Rang) Be quotin' 
Ah I see, so they change tyres as well - sure that makes sense.
And then you refuel as if it would be your next planned stop - hm okay, have to think it through once again but it looks already a bit more reasonable to me now.

edit: and then there is the rule that they never take out fuel of the car, right? So you to take that into account as well...
Matija Gjurčević
(Squadron Rookie - 29)

Home Port:
Croatia 
Treasure hunt'r: 
A old postin' #5 Spake upon Aug 21 2018, 16:29:01 Be quotin' 
Not sure you could take out fuel in F1 even if you wanted to in lets say 2006. Maybe you could, but we all know that even just refueling is dangerous (J. Verstappen)
Joachim Rang2
(Squadron Rookie - 35)

Home Port:
Germany 
Treasure hunt'r: 
A old postin' #6 Spake upon Aug 21 2018, 16:37:00 ('t be edit'd Aug 21 2018, 16:39:21 by Joachim Rang) Be quotin' 
Quote ( Matija Gjurčević @ August 21st 2018,16:17:17 )

If you don't refuel and change your tyres then you will pit for new rubber on Z% of wear of the tyres (probably 0-5% :p).

I don't get that, if I don't refuel I will make the next pit stop at exactly the lap I had planned for on newer tyres (in case they change tyres on emergency pits) so with less wear. But the next stint should be not affected and should proceed as planned.

If I don't refuel does this still count towards the pit stop number, for which I have specified a corresponding fuel load? Meaning my next "planned" pit stop will be planned pit stop+1?
Matija Gjurčević
(Squadron Rookie - 29)

Home Port:
Croatia 
Treasure hunt'r: 
A old postin' #7 Spake upon Aug 21 2018, 16:46:52 ('t be edit'd Aug 21 2018, 16:49:40 by Matija Gjurčević) Be quotin' 
They will always change the tyres, but if you refuel then it's a normal stop. If xou don't refuel you will pit as planned. I don't think it's a normal pit stop if you don't refuel, but anyone can correct me if I'm wrong. I maybe over complicated it "a bit".

E: The sentence you quoted was implicating that you could waste a perfectly good tyre because of low fuel. It all depends on situation. I probably just complicated thing way too much.
Mark Pinnick
(Squadron Amateur - 82)

Postin's: 675
  Home Port:
England 
Treasure hunt'r: 
A old postin' #8 Spake upon Aug 21 2018, 17:16:40 ('t be edit'd Aug 21 2018, 17:17:42 by Mark Pinnick) Be quotin' 
Quote ( Matija Gjurčević @ August 21st 2018,16:46:52 )

I don't think it's a normal pit stop if you don't refuel, but anyone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Jukka actually answered this above:
Quote ( Jukka Sireni @ August 21st 2018,16:17:36 )

If you decide to fuel, it counts as a normal stop. So if it's your 2nd stop, you get the 2nd fuel amount, and on the next stop you get 3rd

The implication is clearly that, without fuelling, it's not a normal stop.
Quote ( Matija Gjurčević @ August 21st 2018,16:46:52 )

I probably just complicated thing way too much.

No; you just wrote it the wrong way round (accidentally, or because you mis-thought!).
Stefan Brederick
(Squadron Rookie - 102)

Postin's: 37
  Home Port:
England 
Treasure hunt'r: 
A old postin' #9 Spake upon Aug 21 2018, 17:39:35 Be quotin' 
Do I understand the posts correctly and all the responses are just referring to the last question of the OP?

I would be quite interested in a response to the first question he had.

Or am I just not understanding the responses correctly?
Jody Parker
(Squadron Amateur - 2)

Postin's: 767
  Home Port:
England 
Treasure hunt'r: 
Like this here post (1)   Dislike this here post (0)
A old postin' #10 Spake upon Aug 21 2018, 17:42:05 Be quotin' 
When on softer compounds the fuel load is lighter and you do more stops. Then the loss from having a last stint shorter and slightly over-fuelled is not as bad, as that would be the effect of fuelling on a technical pit stop, that you'd get an extra pit stop and the last pit would be a shorter than planned stint.
When on harder compounds, or rain, then you have a heavier fuel load and the last part stint would then be a lot slower in comparison to planned stint speeds, and a lot slower than if you had been going with a softer tyre and less fuel heavy strategy.
So for me the compound used and fuel loads set often determine if I think it would be viable to refuel or not in the case of a technical.
Quote ( Mark Pinnick @ August 21st 2018,17:16:40 )

The implication is clearly that, without fuelling, it's not a normal stop.

Isn't it that without fuelling it's not a stop at all?
Matija Gjurčević
(Squadron Rookie - 29)

Home Port:
Croatia 
Treasure hunt'r: 
A old postin' #11 Spake upon Aug 22 2018, 01:21:41 Be quotin' 
Quote ( Jody Parker @ August 21st 2018,17:42:05 )

Isn't it that without fuelling it's not a stop at all?

Well you did tehnically do a stop, just not the planned one. You are still due to do the same planed pitstop as if you never had a failure.
This Sheet [1
Grand Prix Racing Online Jabb'rin' > Newbie forum > Refueling when pitting because of a technical problem Be addin' thi' jabb'r t' yer nay care list Be addin' thi' jabb'r t' yer impor' list

Be answ'rin' thi' jabber