(Група Amateur - 61)

ГПРО особље
Поруке: 1307
  Држава:
Малезија 
Сертификат: 
Свиђа ми се (2)   Не свиђа ми се (0)
Стара порука #31 послано Феб 7 2020, 05:39:00 Цитирај 
I did read Vietnam got 3 recoveries out of their 12 confirmed cases, with no special medicine, but just provide good ventilation and let the patient do regular outdoor exercise under the sunlight
Aditya Karthik
(Група Amateur - 36)

Поруке: 58
  Држава:
Индија 
Сертификат: 
Свиђа ми се (0)   Не свиђа ми се (0)
Стара порука #32 послано Феб 7 2020, 08:55:35 Цитирај 
30+ cases in Singapore, mostly imported, but recent cases of local transmission is putting some fear in the community. No deaths so far and one of them has recovered and discharged from hospital so keeping calm and maintaining personal hygiene. My company has encouraged to work from home to reduce the risk.
Miel Soeterbroek
(Група Master - 3)

Поруке: 3107
  Држава:
Холандија 
Сертификат: 
Свиђа ми се (5)   Не свиђа ми се (0)
Стара порука #33 послано Феб 7 2020, 09:48:04 Цитирај 
The only thing that peaks my curiosity in this whole pandemic is the massive xenophobic response to it because it happens to have originated in China. Closed borders, pre-emptive quarantines, you name it.. I mean, nothing like that was seen in recent pandemics of similar magnitude that happened to originate in more acceptable places (2009's US swine flu, anyone?)
Lyee Chong
(Група Amateur - 61)

ГПРО особље
Поруке: 1307
  Држава:
Малезија 
Сертификат: 
Свиђа ми се (1)   Не свиђа ми се (0)
Стара порука #34 послано Феб 8 2020, 05:36:49 (последња промена Феб 8 2020, 05:37:58 од Lyee Chong) Цитирај 
Not sure if they are of the same/similar magnitude.

Could it be the rate (infection/death) that is giving people such a shock shock?
I am just asking while I speculate.
Mikko Heikkinen
(Група Pro - 13)

Поруке: 12503
  Држава:
Финска 
Сертификат: 
Стара порука #35 послано Феб 12 2020, 08:41:45 (последња промена Феб 12 2020, 09:11:37 од Mikko Heikkinen) Цитирај 
Quote ( Lyee Chong @ February 7th 2020,03:03:51 )

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Yes yes.. Deaths: 1,115

How'bout this:
https://www.worldometers.info/cancer/

Deaths caused by cancer this year: 953,741

9.6 million people worldwide are estimated to have died from cancer in 2018

So check this out... https://i.imgur.com/nkyFqfN.jpg

Some of you might be familiar with the SETI@home concept, which later on spawned the BOINC platform (Berkeley Open Infrastructure for Network Computing) where individuals can donate their otherwise unused computing for a good cause

That platform is these days used for much more than just looking for aliens :)

For example https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/discover.action

has currently the following research project opportunities:

Microbiome Immunity Project
Smash Childhood Cancer
Help Stop TB
FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2
Mapping Cancer Markers

Summaries: https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/research/viewAllProjects.do

List of BOINC projects and system supports here: https://boinc.berkeley.edu/projects.php

Over time BOINC has also grown "smarter" than it was way back then.

For example One can also have it on an android device, and set it so that it runs the calculations only when plugged into a charger, so it doesn't drain the battery, so you could conceivably do good while at sleep :)

And since it runs on Win, Mac and Linux, one could potentially have all devices on

Just something to think about

ps. Since home computers are much more powerful these days, BOINC also has other settings. i.e one could donate (let's say) 70% of CPU instead of letting it draw 100%. And there's also thresholds for when you are using the computer BOINC pauses automatically and then starts when resources come available again.

There's also a custom list for programs, so you can set (for example) some game on the list, and BOINC will pause as long as the game is on
Tianhao Chen
(Група Pro - 7)

Поруке: 660
  Држава:
Кина 
Сертификат: 
Стара порука #36 послано Mарт 7 2020, 06:58:35 Цитирај 
Well, I think it is now something need to draw more attention.

It spread quickly now in South Korea, Italy and Iran, with more than hundreds of confirmed cases on a daily basis.

Right now in China, the situation seems under control, as the central government take strict measures to prevent and control the spread of the coronavirus.
MG van Rensburg
(Група Amateur - 44)

Поруке: 1718
  Држава:
Јужна Африка 
Сертификат: 
Свиђа ми се (4)   Не свиђа ми се (0)
Стара порука #37 послано Mарт 7 2020, 07:11:39 (последња промена Mарт 7 2020, 07:12:26 од MG van Rensburg) Цитирај 
Quote ( Miel Soeterbroek @ February 7th 2020,09:48:04 )

The only thing that peaks my curiosity in this whole pandemic is the massive xenophobic response to it because it happens to have originated in China. Closed borders, pre-emptive quarantines, you name it.. I mean, nothing like that was seen in recent pandemics of similar magnitude that happened to originate in more acceptable places (2009's US swine flu, anyone?)

While Covid-19 not as deadly, if not mistaken on the stats, it has spread far more easily and alot more ppl have been infected.

Between then and now, the media has completed its transition to becoming an unruly revenue focused monster that'll do anything, no moral focus, to get those clicks going to make those profits.

The real tragedy of Covid-19 is just how much it has reveals is wrong with the world, the corrupt media, social media and its fakeness etc etc... and yet everybody just remains completely oblivious.
Scott Wood
(Група Amateur - 26)

Поруке: 237
  Држава:
Енглеска 
Сертификат: 
Свиђа ми се (0)   Не свиђа ми се (6)
Стара порука #38 послано Mарт 7 2020, 10:13:31 Цитирај 
i wouldnt be suprised if it was a man made virus, a human culling virus,, bio-warfare has begun..
Lech Witarczyk
(Група Rookie - 52)

Поруке: 99
  Држава:
Пољска 
Сертификат: 
Свиђа ми се (5)   Не свиђа ми се (0)
Стара порука #39 послано Mарт 7 2020, 10:25:46 Цитирај 
Quote ( Scott Wood @ March 7th 2020,10:13:31 )

i wouldnt be suprised if it was a man made virus, a human culling virus,, bio-warfare has begun..

That was also said about SARS :) The first question you need to answer is: who made it and to what advantage?
Scott Wood
(Група Amateur - 26)

Држава:
Енглеска 
Сертификат: 
Свиђа ми се (1)   Не свиђа ми се (2)
Стара порука #40 послано Mарт 7 2020, 10:35:42 Цитирај 
i aint got a clue, i just dont trust the governing bodys of today.. all cloak an dagger stuff..
Stuart Aspey
(Група Pro - 9)

Поруке: 378
  Држава:
Велс 
Сертификат: 
Стара порука #41 послано Mарт 7 2020, 10:38:57 Цитирај 
160+ cases in UK, mainly from those returning from North Italy. Hmmm. Only 1 death so far. Client with other pre-existing illnesses. I think influenza has still killed more in UK this winter season at present. Advice is wash hands more often. Who isn't washing their hands enough already!?!
Scott Wood
(Група Amateur - 26)

Држава:
Енглеска 
Сертификат: 
Свиђа ми се (1)   Не свиђа ми се (1)
Стара порука #42 послано Mарт 7 2020, 10:45:28 Цитирај 
next town to me(5 miles away) has 3 confirmed cases, all elderly of coarse..
Stuart Aspey
(Група Pro - 9)

Држава:
Велс 
Сертификат: 
Стара порука #43 послано Mарт 7 2020, 10:54:47 Цитирај 
Yup. It is a worry, but I also agree that the media is completely over hyping this. Also, for all those using hand sanitisers, they are not as effective unless you wash your hands first. All you are doing is adding sanitiser over a dirty hand washing is much better. Keep active. Fresh air.
Atli Thor Johannesson
(Група Pro - 19)

Поруке: 2441
  Држава:
Исланд 
Сертификат: 
Стара порука #44 послано Mарт 7 2020, 11:08:12 (последња промена Mарт 7 2020, 11:33:06 од Atli Thor Johannesson) Цитирај 
Quote ( Jasper Coosemans @ February 6th 2020,13:15:09 )

For example, the transfer of disease from birds to humans is more common in certain parts of Asia because people are in closer proximity to poultry.

It´s not necessarily only about close proximity to a few chickens roaming free, but about close proximity to way too large quantity of poultry (and other species) in too small spaces.

If you pack too many animals without adequate sanitary conditions, you get various pathogen problems (Well known fact). Throw humans into the mix, creating scenarios where named pathogens can mutate in peace, jump species and spread accordingly.

A Corona-virus type mutation is bad enough, especially for those with a compromised immune system, but I imagine with more horror, if this was an Ebola epidemic or from other Filovirus types.

Mikko Heikkinen
(Група Pro - 13)

Поруке: 12503
  Држава:
Финска 
Сертификат: 
Стара порука #45 послано Mарт 7 2020, 11:35:47 Цитирај 
Quote ( Stuart Aspey @ March 7th 2020,10:54:47 )

Also, for all those using hand sanitisers, they are not as effective unless you wash your hands first. All you are doing is adding sanitiser over a dirty hand washing is much better. Keep active. Fresh air.

Yeah and all those air blowers in restrooms, which just circulate the bacteria and other stuff over the space.

A new, independently-funded study of 36 men's and women's bathrooms at the University of Connecticut School of Medicine found that bathroom hand dryers blow tons of bacterial spores around. Researchers holding up test plates to hand dryer air found as many as 60 different bacterial colonies could be blown onto them during a 30-second air dry

https://www.businessinsider.com/bathroom-hand-dryers-or-pape...
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29439992

But hey, as long as it's cheaper for the company housing the restroom...

And the air blower manufacturers have pushed advertising campaigns which claim the sanitary of them. But hey, add campaigns are not delivered under oath :)
Jasper Coosemans1
(Група Elite)

Поруке: 3021
  Држава:
Белгија 
Сертификат: 
Стара порука #46 послано Mарт 7 2020, 13:10:16 Цитирај 
How are the numbers for paper towels, Mikko? "As many as 60" doesn't sound like a lot, given that bacteria are everywhere?
Thijs Rieken
(Група Amateur - 37)

Поруке: 1042
  Држава:
Холандија 
Сертификат: 
Стара порука #47 послано Mарт 7 2020, 13:28:01 Цитирај 
I do remember a Mythbusters episode where they tested this. Paper towels were the best option
Sandro Medeiros
(Група Rookie - 69)

Поруке: 21
  Држава:
Бразил 
Сертификат: 
Стара порука #48 послано Mарт 7 2020, 13:35:44 Цитирај 
Here in Brazil we still fighting malaria, dengue, rubella and lot of others diseases that kill thousands of Brazilians every year. We eat coronaviruses in the breakfast so no big deal.

But the media circus around COVID-19 really makes me think if there something about this that some very powerfull people are hiding from us. Something big... Or maybye the World War Z just began and we are all doomed to fight zombies very soon...

Scott Wood
(Група Amateur - 26)

Држава:
Енглеска 
Сертификат: 
Свиђа ми се (0)   Не свиђа ми се (2)
Стара порука #49 послано Mарт 7 2020, 14:35:33 Цитирај 
its a designed virus to kill off the elderly and the weak, we live to long,, so culling makes sense, governments get richer, no more pension to pay, inheritence tax ,property tax, 20% tax on all moneys,, its a win win for the governments,,
Eduardo Sanchez Carenzo
(Група Master - 3)

Поруке: 2729
  Држава:
Мексико 
Сертификат: 
Свиђа ми се (3)   Не свиђа ми се (0)
Стара порука #50 послано Mарт 7 2020, 14:39:38 Цитирај 
Quote ( MG van Rensburg @ March 7th 2020,07:11:39 )

While Covid-19 not as deadly, if not mistaken on the stats, it has spread far more easily and alot more ppl have been infected.

Current numbers show a 3% mortality rate which is 50 times higher than normal flu (around 0.06%)

That is as high as the Spanish flu in 1918-1920 that killed more than 50 million worldwide, and that at some moment might have afflicted up.to 1/3 of the world's population. You also have to remember that most of this deaths were related to Citokyne storms or other opportunistic bacterial infections, and treatment for those symptoms has evolved a lot since 1918. Meanwhile Covid-19 is in most cases the direct killer.

Of course more people have died of normal influenza this year than of Covid-19, but much less people.have been infected due mostly to all the containment done in different countries.

The problem with Covid-19 is that you can spread the disease and not have symptoms and that it spreads more easily than other SARS infections that are deadlier (a virus with high infection rate, slower onset, and less deadly is more dangerous for the overall human population than a high probability fast killer).

Kevin Smith
(Група Amateur - 17)

Поруке: 113
  Држава:
Канада 
Сертификат: 
Стара порука #51 послано Mарт 7 2020, 15:21:59 Цитирај 
Quote ( Scott Wood @ March 7th 2020,14:35:33 )

its a designed virus to kill off the elderly and the weak, we live to long,, so culling makes sense, governments get richer, no more pension to pay, inheritence tax ,property tax, 20% tax on all moneys,, its a win win for the governments,,

Source?
Tianhao Chen
(Група Pro - 7)

Поруке: 660
  Држава:
Кина 
Сертификат: 
Стара порука #52 послано Mарт 7 2020, 15:27:03 Цитирај 
Quote ( Eduardo Sanchez Carenzo @ March 7th 2020,14:39:38 )

The problem with Covid-19 is that you can spread the disease and not have symptoms and that it spreads more easily than other SARS infections that are deadlier (a virus with high infection rate, slower onset, and less deadly is more dangerous for the overall human population than a high probability fast killer).

Totally right, Eduardo. That’s why the Chinese Government take really strict measures to stop people from going out. I have to get an entry permit to my community and each time I enter, there is a temperature check. Each super market I go need to sign in name and phone number first, with the temperature check now in Beijing.

It is inconvenient, but it can be effective. I hope things will get better ASAP.
Nevzat Kasapoglu
(Група Elite)

Поруке: 193
  Држава:
Турска 
Сертификат: 
Свиђа ми се (0)   Не свиђа ми се (1)
Стара порука #53 послано Mарт 7 2020, 15:33:38 Цитирај 

Current numbers show a 3% mortality rate

mortality rate is not 3%, it's a common error told in newspapers or TV's or all communication channels, which makes me mad.

To measure the mortality rates, we need to check the closed cases. Active cases should be excluded from this calculation, because we dont know they'll end with recovery or death.
So, the mortality rate is 6% , currently.
Vladimir Valis
(Група Rookie - 40)

Поруке: 1654
  Држава:
Аргентина 
Сертификат: 
Стара порука #54 послано Mарт 7 2020, 15:41:15 Цитирај 
Quote ( Sandro Medeiros @ March 7th 2020,13:35:44 )

Here in Brazil we still fighting malaria, dengue, rubella and lot of others diseases that kill thousands of Brazilians every year. We eat coronaviruses in the breakfast so no big deal.

This is so true, here in Argentina for example yesterday were discovered 3 cases of dengue in the same building in Buenos Aires. Also we are having the largest outbreak of measles in the last 20 years, with 156 confirmed cases. In some countrys it´s not all about Covid-19 :(
Scott Wood
(Група Amateur - 26)

Држава:
Енглеска 
Сертификат: 
Стара порука #55 послано Mарт 7 2020, 15:56:50 Цитирај 
no source kevin smith,, like i said in earliar posts,, it wouldnt suprise me if its man made, im a pessimist, lol
Scott Wood
(Група Amateur - 26)

Држава:
Енглеска 
Сертификат: 
Стара порука #56 послано Mарт 7 2020, 15:58:06 Цитирај 
we need mulder an scully back..

Kevin Smith
(Група Amateur - 17)

Држава:
Канада 
Сертификат: 
Стара порука #57 послано Mарт 7 2020, 16:00:27 Цитирај 
Quote ( Nevzat Kasapoglu @ March 7th 2020,15:33:38 )

Current numbers show a 3% mortality rate
mortality rate is not 3%, it's a common error told in newspapers or TV's or all communication channels, which makes me mad.

To measure the mortality rates, we need to check the closed cases. Active cases should be excluded from this calculation, because we dont know they'll end with recovery or death.
So, the mortality rate is 6% , currently.

Source?
Kevin Smith
(Група Amateur - 17)

Држава:
Канада 
Сертификат: 
Стара порука #58 послано Mарт 7 2020, 16:01:08 Цитирај 
Quote ( Scott Wood @ March 7th 2020,15:56:50 )

no source kevin smith,, like i said in earliar posts,, it wouldnt suprise me if its man made, im a pessimist, lol

Until we know, everyone should keep their opinions to themselves... If we don't, that's how panic gets out of hand.
Kevin Smith
(Група Amateur - 17)

Држава:
Канада 
Сертификат: 
Стара порука #59 послано Mарт 7 2020, 16:48:12 Цитирај 
Maybe not panic but misinformation.
Stuart Aspey
(Група Pro - 9)

Држава:
Велс 
Сертификат: 
Стара порука #60 послано Mарт 7 2020, 16:50:33 Цитирај 
Quote ( Mikko Heikkinen @ March 7th 2020,11:35:47 )

Quote ( Stuart Aspey @ March 7th 2020,10:54:47 )

Also, for all those using hand sanitisers, they are not as effective unless you wash your hands first. All you are doing is adding sanitiser over a dirty hand washing is much better. Keep active. Fresh air.

Yeah and all those air blowers in restrooms, which just circulate the bacteria and other stuff over the space.

A new, independently-funded study of 36 men's and women's bathrooms at the University of Connecticut School of Medicine found that bathroom hand dryers blow tons of bacterial spores around. Researchers holding up test plates to hand dryer air found as many as 60 different bacterial colonies could be blown onto them during a 30-second air dry

Very good point. Yes, some of these more powerful handryiers remove with water from the hands, but the splatter zone is much wider.
Страна « 1 [23 ... 15 16 17 » Иди на страну:

Одговори