Ankit Jakhar
(Група Rookie - 165)

Поруке: 157
  Држава:
Индија 
Сертификат: 
Стара порука #1 послано Jул 17 2020, 23:05:48 Цитирај 
Hello guys
Introduction – I am new to the game , raced few times before but didn’t keep data so…
My targets – to collect data, understand data, finish in points – podium is not realistic, finish in top 10
Preparation – I got to know the driver is a big part of rookie class so I had a session of driver training. Also done testing- many ppl says of no need in rookie nut I wanted to enhance the performance of the car. my driver satisfied with set up in practice
Now the tragedy begins –
Q1- a total of 9 managers qualified and I was last and was a very poor session
My take – due to selecting push car a lot, the driver may have done mistake as all car levels are same and my driver wasn’t worst among all in grid
Q2 – after seeing overtaking is normal from track information and tire wear low, I took the decision of super softs…. I am not having a tool for race strategy…I am working on it after having some data I will develop it. So I qualified in between
My take – I relaxed a bit confirming my theory of q1 that driver mistake caused me loss of time
Trak position – due to horrible q1 I was 8th out of 9 qualified players.
My take – not good but if I hold my position I will finish in points and will have some data as well that’s my target.
Race starting – the 9th car overtook me, and guy in front was lapping me with about 2 second
My take – considering the normal overtaking scenario, I must have set low value in defending of driver risk, and guy in front must have boost lap on.
Stint 1 – my lap time fell miserably, I was way behind the group…
My take – this makes no sense
Question – why that happened I was losing time despite having softest compound on and low fuel loads, due to rookie class all car levels are the same and my driver were also satisfied with setting up. I got to know driver overall is major factor in rookie … as I told my driver wasn’t worst on-grid he was in between then why was I losing time to everyone
Stint 2 – for certain laps, my lap time was above 2 or 3 cars other time still last.
My take – I was above only when I was having fresh super soft on and slower cars were on worn harder tires respectively …. It started hurting me as it seems no reason I was so slow
Question – same as of stint 1 .. I didn’t understand why I am losing time
Stint 3 – absolute embarrassment blue flagged twice…. Excruciating
My take - what is wrong
Question – same as stint 1 and 2 but more confused embarrassed and demotivated.
Race result – I was 4 minutes 13 sec off from the winner…That’s not where the pain ends I was off by 26 seconds by my closest rival i.e. 8th position car.
Race analysis – I got to know that in q2 I was above of those cars which were on harder tyre strategy. Which means I am slow in both quali and in race .
Question - what can be reason bcoz all car lvl are same, my driver isn’t worst on grid, and lastly there was no driver mistake in race also he wasn’t drained of energy so the energy wasn’t the cause of slow lap times.
Final question - I can’t understand why I performed so poorly, it demotivating all I need to take points was to keep the position from 1 car and I failed. Should I continue or this game isn’t for me?
After satisfying the setup, mediocre driver. fastest tires, no driver mistake in the race, no mistakes in terms of shortage of fuel or tires, I did testing and driver training to resulting in 9th place out of 9 and that too with 26 seconds gap with 8th position car. Should I continue the game
Request – kindly answer my every question separately it will be a great help.. and I am already embarrassed with race results and I know I am tyro… so if u want help in technically explaining what is wrong.
Regards,
Ankit

Ruben Lansink
(Група Rookie - 36)

Поруке: 56
  Држава:
Холандија 
Сертификат: 
Свиђа ми се (2)   Не свиђа ми се (0)
Стара порука #2 послано Jул 17 2020, 23:10:51 (последња промена Jул 17 2020, 23:23:24 од Ruben Lansink) Цитирај 
Hi Ankit,
that's an unfortunate turn of events for one of your first races in GPRO.

Did you consider that the race took place under quite different circumstances than practice (where you got feedback from your driver) and qualifying? If you didn't adjust for that, it might explain an important part of why your driver wasn't able to keep up.
Josh Clark
(Група Master - 4)

Поруке: 6666
  Држава:
Енглеска 
Сертификат: 
Свиђа ми се (10)   Не свиђа ми се (0)
Стара порука #3 послано Jул 17 2020, 23:15:35 (последња промена Jул 17 2020, 23:16:54 од Josh Clark) Цитирај 
First of all, good analysis, seems you're really paying attention to even minor details which is a great thing to do when starting out.
Secondly, don't be demotivated after one bad result. There are many factors as to why you can be slow, and although you covered a lot of them, you're mainly going off assumptions about your own package compared to your groupmates packages.

Quote ( Ankit Jakhar @ July 17th 2020,23:05:48 )

Question - what can be reason bcoz all car lvl are same, my driver isn’t worst on grid, and lastly there was no driver mistake in race also he wasn’t drained of energy so the energy wasn’t the cause of slow lap times.

As you say, everyone has the same car in race one, so you know it isn't that. Your qualifying was poor as well as your race pace, so you can probably rule out your risks being too low compared to everyone else's.

But you say your driver isn't the worst on the grid. How do you know?
Driver Overall (OA) is not a representation of the speed of your driver, rather a representation of its overall skill. And since not all skills are pace-related like Tech Insight and Charisma, it's not a great indicator of the pace of a driver, especially in Rookie.

Before thinking this isn't the game for you, utilise your Rookie season where everything resets after the season ends, and experiment with different types of drivers. Take a look at the fastest managers from last season in Rookie /gb/RaceSummary.asp?Group=Rookie&sort=&order=&na... and find some that lost their drivers over the season reset, and take note of their stats. See if you can find a correlation, and also compare them to your own driver to see if it really is your driver that is the problem.

Good luck
Amitesh Patnaik
(Група Amateur - 52)

Поруке: 464
  Држава:
Индија 
Сертификат: 
Свиђа ми се (0)   Не свиђа ми се (0)
Стара порука #4 послано Jул 17 2020, 23:18:23 Цитирај 
Apart from what Ruben said.

I would advice not to compare yourself with the race leader as he has been preparing his driver for 2 seasons. He is bound to dominate because in rookie, driver is the main factor.
Ankit Jakhar
(Група Rookie - 165)

Држава:
Индија 
Сертификат: 
Свиђа ми се (1)   Не свиђа ми се (0)
Стара порука #5 послано Jул 17 2020, 23:18:29 Цитирај 
hi Ruben,
yes practice q1 was in wet and q2 and the race was in dry condition but I recalculated the setup acc to dry condition as well. now thinking it could be possible that set up didn't suit well to my driver. but I was okay in q2 and was faster than some other players with similar strategy as mine ... so the mystery continues
Sandro Medeiros
(Група Amateur - 59)

Поруке: 21
  Држава:
Бразил 
Сертификат: 
Свиђа ми се (6)   Не свиђа ми се (0)
Стара порука #6 послано Jул 17 2020, 23:23:05 Цитирај 
Hi Ankit!!

Welcome to GPRO, where absolutely nothing makes sense until your collected data start to accumulate, only then you will be able to slowly connect each piece with another in this misterious puzzle .

Some says GPRO is for the ones who loves racing games. Others will tell you this is just a management game, others will swear this is a game for NASA programmers where you should "crack the code" to do well and finally the veterans will throw in your face "Find Out By Yourself" and that you should play this game for at least ten years to start to understand it...

Miel Soeterbroek
(Група Master - 3)

Поруке: 3107
  Држава:
Холандија 
Сертификат: 
Свиђа ми се (6)   Не свиђа ми се (0)
Стара порука #7 послано Jул 17 2020, 23:27:23 Цитирај 
100% what Josh said.

Took the liberty of looking up your driver's stats on an old market file, Ankit, and bluntly put: you'll definitely need to be looking for some other stats in a competitive rookie driver.
Sascha Mittendorfer
(Група Rookie - 131)

Поруке: 12
  Држава:
Немачка 
Сертификат: 
Стара порука #8 послано Jул 17 2020, 23:33:44 (последња промена Jул 17 2020, 23:37:12 од Sascha Mittendorfer) Цитирај 
One tip from a fellow rookie, download the driver market page on a regular basis. That way you can always check other peoples drivers and compare them with your own, helped me a lot.

It also helps to check for the driver statistics(points/race) and check out drivers that have a lot of offers in the higher tiers.
Sandro Medeiros
(Група Amateur - 59)

Поруке: 21
  Држава:
Бразил 
Сертификат: 
Стара порука #9 послано Jул 17 2020, 23:38:57 Цитирај 

Hello guys

Preparation – I got to know the driver is a big part of rookie class so I had a session of driver training. Also done testing- many ppl says of no need in rookie nut I wanted to enhance the performance of the car. my driver satisfied with set up in practice

This is the main part of the game. One thing you should consider in your preparation is to search the Forum for key topics that might clarify a lot of things for you. Search the forum a lot, search it aways. You will have to be like Gandalf in the Great Library searching for lost infos of the One Ring.

For me, the biggest mistake I did was to try to get to Amateur without all those answer you have now. I should have done much more testing. Not to get a better car, but I should had tested to collect data like: The difference of time with different tyres, different fuel load, different risks and different pilots.

The game is hard, but each position ahead of the last race, each improvement comes with a great sense of achievement that makes you want to come back and improve more and more.

Ankit Jakhar
(Група Rookie - 165)

Држава:
Индија 
Сертификат: 
Стара порука #10 послано Jул 18 2020, 05:51:41 (последња промена Jул 18 2020, 06:01:33 од Ankit Jakhar) Цитирај 

But you say your driver isn't the worst on the grid. How do you know?
Driver Overall (OA) is not a representation of the speed of your driver, rather a representation of its overall skill. And since not all skills are pace-related like Tech Insight and Charisma, it's not a great indicator of the pace of a driver, especially in Rookie.

thanks, I haven't thought about this

Before thinking this isn't the game for you, utilise your Rookie season where everything resets after the season ends, and experiment with different types of drivers. Take a look at the fastest managers from last season in Rookie /gb/RaceSummary.asp?Group=Rookie&sort=&order=&na... and find some that lost their drivers over the season reset, and take note of their stats. See if you can find a correlation, and also compare them to your own driver to see if it really is your driver that is the problem.

yes, currently this season I am aiming to collect data and develop tools my self in MatLab or excel for setup, race strategy, fuel load - that's simple, and tire wears.
Ankit Jakhar
(Група Rookie - 165)

Држава:
Индија 
Сертификат: 
Стара порука #11 послано Jул 18 2020, 05:56:47 Цитирај 
Josh, thanks for great advice about particular driver skills that affects lap time.one more thing as I am having no data currently would you mind giving some tips regarding race strategy i.e. selection of tires. I follow f1 and is keen interested in vehicle dynamics and aerodynamics so from there this is how I do now. I look at overtaking difficulty, then tire wear and accordingly choose tires.

Josh Clark
(Група Master - 4)

Поруке: 6666
  Држава:
Енглеска 
Сертификат: 
Свиђа ми се (3)   Не свиђа ми се (0)
Стара порука #12 послано Jул 18 2020, 08:29:21 Цитирај 
Quote ( Ankit Jakhar @ July 18th 2020,05:56:47 )

I look at overtaking difficulty, then tire wear and accordingly choose tires.

Great start. My favourite part about this game is how open each race is to interpretation.

Overtaking difficulty is a good one, this tells you how effective an aggressive strategy could be, so narrows down your options for how many pit stops you should be doing.

Another great one is the time differences of the dry tyre compounds (commonly TCD). Not a track statistic, but you can check this during practice. A small time difference obviously supports harder tyre compounds, so gives more merit to fewer pit stop strategies. Definitely sacrifice a practice lap every race to check the TCD, you'll soon notice a theme.

Pit in/out time also helps determine how detrimental a pit stop will be to your race. Choosing a softer compound at Rafaela Oval for example and stopping more times would be far more viable than doing the same strategy at Indy Oval, just comparing the pit in/out times ;)

The hardest part is getting a reference for your fuel amount and tyre wear. I guess this just comes with trial and error and experimentation, but a couple tips:

-Pipirelli Hard tyres should be able to 1-stop most races under 35°C with 0 risks, with a few exceptions (the afforementioned 200 lap race comes to mind...)

-It's rare for a 300km race to require over 265L of fuel.
Alex Calinoiu
(Група Pro - 5)

Поруке: 23
  Држава:
Румунија 
Сертификат: 
Стара порука #13 послано Jул 18 2020, 09:57:23 Цитирај 

I got to know the driver is a big part of rookie class
That actually means that his attributes will have a huge influence on the race results. Don't just look at the overall, there are certain attributes that make a difference. There are forum topics that explain what each of them mean. Just training the driver for one session won't change much. Also, testing doesn't improve the car right away, if you look carrefully at your testing screen you'll find that it takes 3 races before testing points actually get converted
Regarding tyre wear, it's influenced by the track, by the weather, by your risk strategy and also by your driver. It's up to you to find out those things, some answers won't be handed out that easily on the forum, you'll have to make the most of the hints more experienced managers might give you. Also, a very smart thing to do is to look for a mentor
Ankit Jakhar
(Група Rookie - 165)

Држава:
Индија 
Сертификат: 
Стара порука #14 послано Jул 18 2020, 13:35:50 Цитирај 
Quote ( Josh Clark @ July 18th 2020,08:29:21 )

Another great one is the time differences of the dry tyre compounds (commonly TCD). Not a track statistic, but you can check this during practice. A small time difference obviously supports harder tyre compounds, so gives more merit to fewer pit stop strategies. Definitely sacrifice a practice lap every race to check the TCD, you'll soon notice a theme.

thanks again.but what I think there is a shortage of practice laps I mean I have to get limit value in setting up of each component so the car could give it's best out there... and I think it is very important if the driver is not a very good one. this alone takes 7 or 8 laps...but I have to see time difference as well. it's logically right and common sense thing to test the difference in tire compound times. but the thing which scares me is I won't have the best set up out there due to scarcity of laps.i think I have to compromise set up for strategy.
Ankit Jakhar
(Група Rookie - 165)

Држава:
Индија 
Сертификат: 
Стара порука #15 послано Jул 18 2020, 13:43:38 Цитирај 

-Pipirelli Hard tyres should be able to 1-stop most races under 35°C with 0 risks, with a few exceptions (the afforementioned 200 lap race comes to mind...)

I think what is more important is how much fuel you put in and how much is used because the difference hits hard in terms of lap time. also if I have some left fuel at the end of the race it's a very bad strategy because that much extra fuel caused me the loss of lap time as well as the extra time for refueling .also if I have to pit earlier while the tire is still alive just for fuel it's another tragedy and the race is over. I think only data can help. I am determined to make model in Simulink or MatLab to include all factors and at least master in this area. until then I have to suffer in this season I guess
Jim Becker
(Група Rookie - 164)

Поруке: 119
  Држава:
Сједињене Америчке Државе 
Сертификат: 
Стара порука #16 послано Jул 18 2020, 13:46:40 Цитирај 
I thank Ankit for the great questions, this thread is now a goldmine because of it. Thank you for all the great replies, I'm learning a lot from this exchange. My limited experience was that a driver change has taken me from being a middle of the pack racer last season to top 5 this season, with a real a shot at wins. Love this game, so much to learn. Great STEM project for old and young lol.

Ankit Jakhar
(Група Rookie - 165)

Држава:
Индија 
Сертификат: 
Стара порука #17 послано Jул 18 2020, 13:49:04 Цитирај 
Quote ( Alex Calinoiu @ July 18th 2020,09:57:23 )

I got to know the driver is a big part of rookie class That actually means that his attributes will have a huge influence on the race results. Don't just look at the overall, there are certain attributes that make a difference. There are forum topics that explain what each of them mean. Just training the driver for one session won't change much. Also, testing doesn't improve the car right away, if you look carrefully at your testing screen you'll find that it takes 3 races before testing points actually get converted

regarding driver attributes - thanks got it.
testing - yup I got to know how this works in several steps. but I think it's also a tradeoff as more testing will cause wear but increase car characteristic points too.thta's one way to upgrade car. the other is to straight buy the next Lvl components. but I prefer testing as I will have some data and can understand affects of some variables/factors.
Ankit Jakhar
(Група Rookie - 165)

Држава:
Индија 
Сертификат: 
Стара порука #18 послано Jул 18 2020, 22:43:44 Цитирај 
Quote ( Ankit Jakhar @ July 18th 2020,13:43:38 )

I think what is more important is how much fuel you put in and how much is used because the difference hits hard in terms of lap time. also if I have some left fuel at the end of the race it's a very bad strategy because that much extra fuel caused me the loss of lap time as well as the extra time for refueling .also if I have to pit earlier while the tire is still alive just for fuel it's another tragedy and the race is over. I think only data can help. I am determined to make model in Simulink or MatLab to include all factors and at least master in this area. until then I have to suffer in this season I guess

to all the experienced mangers out there ...any tips will help .....
Keith Whittaker
(Група Amateur - 67)

Поруке: 11
  Држава:
Енглеска 
Сертификат: 
Свиђа ми се (0)   Не свиђа ми се (1)
Стара порука #19 послано Jул 18 2020, 23:47:03 (последња промена Jул 18 2020, 23:50:55 од Keith Whittaker) Цитирај 

my driver satisfied with set up in practice

Just because your driver says that he is satisfied with the car set up doesn’t mean that the set up is necessarily the best/appropriate one.
Ankit Jakhar
(Група Rookie - 165)

Држава:
Индија 
Сертификат: 
Стара порука #20 послано Jул 19 2020, 05:39:25 Цитирај 
Quote ( Keith Whittaker @ July 18th 2020,23:47:03 )

my driver satisfied with set up in practice

Just because your driver says that he is satisfied with the car set up doesn’t mean that the set up is necessarily the best/appropriate one.

but it should indicate my set up is not that bad that I should lose seconds both in quail and race.and with practice lap as less as 8 I think it needs data to further fine-tune set up.

Lorne Taylor
(Група Rookie - 46)

Поруке: 67
  Држава:
Канада 
Сертификат: 
Стара порука #21 послано Jул 19 2020, 07:21:42 Цитирај 
Quote ( Ankit Jakhar @ July 19th 2020,05:39:25 )

I should lose seconds both in quail and race

Qualify also varies by amount of "push" you use, & fuel load in Q2. Race setup may vary from practise, too.
Andy Dowson
(Група Amateur - 75)

Поруке: 557
  Држава:
Енглеска 
Сертификат: 
Стара порука #22 послано Jул 19 2020, 08:27:00 Цитирај 
@Ankit Jakhar (R165) In a couple of the responses/questions you've mentioned about lack of practise laps, if you are just looking to get to grips with the game this season then doing some testing stints trying out different things would be useful for you. You could even try different drivers to see what changes. If you're still in Rookie next season your finances etc will reset so you won't lose any cash.
Страна [1

Одговори